Tier 1 Zeels - Zekrom BLW, Eelektrik NVI

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by galladeava, Mar 6, 2012.

1. galladeava

galladeava Disapproving Clown Staff Member

I've seen far too many threads of this in the deck discussion, along with ReshiBoarEX, so can we keep ZekEels post to this thread, will clean up the forum somewhat. Like the Durant one, post your lists, ideas and anything else you wish to share.

4/3 Eelektrik (3 free retreat Tynamo)
    2 Zekrom BW
    1 Zekrom EX
    1 Mewtwo EX
    1 Zapdos NDE
    2 Tornadus EP
    1 Cleffa

4 DCE
    10 Lightning

4 Collector
    3 PONT
    3 Juniper
    1 N
    2 Judge
    4 Junk Arm
    3 Communication
    3 Catcher
    2 Eviolite
    2 Switch
    1 Super Rod
    1 Revive
    1 PlusPower
    1 Pokegear

I like my list to very techy and situational as the deck is so versatile to who is your attacker. I think Tornadus for early game, Zekrom BW for mid game and Zekrom EX as my finisher. Mewtwo is clearly the Mewtwo counter and I'd have a second one in there if I had one, otherwise its the Revive. More Mewtwos = more wins.

The trainers are pretty techy too, ie only 1 PP, 1 Gear etc because only sometimes are they useful. I like the PP for Zekrom 1HKOs on other Zeks and Reshis, and for the M2X DCE vs DCE war.

Any thoughts? And post your lists and ideas here! :D
    merrygreen likes this.
  2. lucarioAdventure1

lucarioAdventure1 i swear on me mum

May I ask why only 1 Mewtwo and Zekrom EX? Are they the only numbers u can get because otherwise I am stumped :p

Also could u explain Zapdos as a tech to me I don't see it's purpose tbh
  3. airhawk06

airhawk06 Active Member

Um, If I'm playing straight Zeels, I think I would run the following list right now:

4-3 Eelektrik (3 30 hp, 1 40 hp)
    2 Thundurus
    2 Mewtwo EX
    1 Zekrom EX
    2 Zekrom
    1 Cleffa

4 Collector
    3 Level Ball
    4 Catcher
    4 Junk Arm
    4 Sage's Training
    2 N
    2 Juniper
    3 Pokegear 3.0
    2 Eviolite
    2 Switch
    1 Super Rod
    2 PlusPower

10 Lightning Energy
    2 DCE

Terrakion would be nice, or Tornadus/Zapados as a counter. But, I have found that the best option is just pure consistency. The double Mewtwo is very nice because it let's you win the Mewtwo exchange easier. Thundurus is the best starter for this deck, and it wins you the mirror when your opponent is using Tornadus. The Gear are important to get Thundurus going early.

However, I really like the Zebstrika version right now:

3-3 Zebstrika (the Blitzle with Agility)
    4-3 Eelektrik (all 30 hp Tynamo)
    1 Cleffa
    2 Mewtwo EX
    2 Zekrom

2 Eviolite
    4 Junk Arm
    4 Level Ball
    2 N
    2 PlusPower
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Pokemon Collector
    4 PONT
    2 Sage's Training
    1 Super Rod
    2 Switch

2 DCE
    9 Lightning Energy

I sure hope most people took the recent FP article seriously. Zebstrika is a very good version of the deck. You could go a 3-2 Zebstrika (because of Super Rod), and then you could add a Zekrom EX.

Just my $.02
  4. Yeah, big fan of Zebstrika/Eels. Here is my personal list:

Pokemon: 18
    4-3 Eelectrik NVI (2 40 HP, 2 30 HP)
    3-3 Zebstrika NDE (Agility)
    2 Mewtwo EX NDE
    1 Zekrom EX NDE
    1 Zekrom BW
    1 Cleffa HS

I/S/S: 30
    4 Professor Oak's New Theory
    3 Pokemon Collector
    2 N
    2 Professor Juniper

4 Junk Arm
    3 Level Ball
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    2 Pokegear 3.0
    2 Pokemon Communication
    2 Eviolite
    2 Switch
    1 Super Rod

Energy: 12
    2 Double Colorless Energy
    10 Lightning Energy

Could probably do with refining, haven't tested it yet. I will probably drop the Communications and maybe a lightning for the 4th Collector and some PlusPowers.
  5. ZodiacLion

ZodiacLion New Member

My poke list is
    4-3 Eel (all free retreat)
    3 Thundurus
    1 Zekrom
    1 Zekrom Ex
    2 Mewtwo Ex

I also run rocky helmet instead of eviolite. I prefer a straight aggro approach as opposed to tanking. Getting T1 Thundurus+ rocky helmet is awesome. I don't use any pokegear either because my list is a little techier, but I've had really good success against the mirror and durant.
  6. Freakmasta

Freakmasta I'm no champion

I see a few people playing Zapdos but overall, is it worth it or is it VERY situational? Because at first glance, I see no use for it
  7. literally

literally New Member

I went to my first pokemon meetup thingy yesterday and threw together eels on the assumption that it would be a more beginner-friendly deck than Truth. I'm running 2-2 zebras and one of both thunderus and tornadus right now, and it seems to be doing pretty well so far. After I get a better sense of my matchups I'll post a decklist and some thoughts.

Before I go any further though I want to make sure that I'm playing the deck correctly. A couple of the guys at the shop were super nice and gave me some basics, so here's what I've got so far:

The goal of the deck is to take advantage of the ability to attach multiple energy each turn via eels. In order to do this the energies need to be in the discard pile (which is why juniper, junk arm, sage's trainining, etc. are all important). You use big attacks that come with the penalty of discarding energy, and then charge another attacker on the bench before making a switch and repeating.

Does that sound about right? I wanna make sure I'm not missing anything or forming any bad habits >_<
  8. Civ

Civ Member

Please note: This is a low budget deck (imo).

Pokemon: 17
    4-3 Eels
    2 zekrom
    2 zekrom EX
    2 Thundurus
    2 Terrakion
    1 shaymin UL
    1 cleffa

Trainers: 28
    3 prof juniper
    2 sage's training
    2 PONT

4 dual ball
    3 Pokémon communication
    2 super scoop up
    3 PlusPower
    2 level balls
    3 switch
    2 Junk Arm
    2 eviolite

Energy: 15
    2 DCE
    9 Electric
    4 Fighting

The strategy is well known. Terrakion is for a tech, although im not sure he's going to stay in the deck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  9. ZodiacLion

ZodiacLion New Member

@Freakmasta: he's pretty situational, although decent for the mirror since you can sniper tynamo on the bench. He's also not too bad for use against truth variants.
    @Civ: your list doesn't look too bad(I assume no collector because you can't afford/don't want to buy it), I'm just curious to know why you run level ball AND poke comm in your list. You could be utilizing those slots for other things like more Junk arm, PONT or eviolite.
  10. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

Michael Pramawatt ran Dual Ball over Collector in his Eels deck that got 2nd at States.

It's a legit choice, not just a budget thing.
    JAM likes this.
  11. CynDa1

CynDa1 (slurp)

yes that is right ;D

yes that is right ;D play nondiscarding energy attackers too
  12. atomix

atomix Member

Pokemon - 15
    2 Zekrom BLW
    1 Zekrom EX NDE
    4 Tynamo NVI 39
    3 Eelektrik NVI
    1 Thundurus EPO
    2 Mewtwo EX
    1 Shaymin EX
    1 Tyrogue CoL

Trainers - 19
    4 Dual Ball
    4 Junk Arm
    2 Level Ball
    4 Catcher
    2 Switch
    2 PlusPower
    1 Pokegear 3.0
    1 Super Rod

Supporters - 9
    4 PONT
    4 Juniper
    1 N

Energy - 16
    10 Lightning
    4 DCE
    2 Grass

Shaymin EX is excellent against terrakion i have found. Has made quite a few matchups for me. Also This list is very quick and can set up very quickly and consistantly.
  13. CaptainX24

CaptainX24 Well-Known Member

9 draw Supporters seems a bit low, especially with only 1 Pokegear. I'd cut some energy, or get rid of Shaymin. Tyrogue is also pretty debatable.
  14. literally

literally New Member

I'd cut energy before getting rid of Shaymin. 16 is probably more than enough, and I'd be hesitant to touch anything that has been helping out against Terrakion ^-^;

As for Tyrogue, I personally really like him, but I'd guess his usefulness depends largely on what people in your area are playing.

Maybe consider putting in some Sage's Training? It has draw-power and lets you toss energy in the discard pile to fuel dynamotor. I'd also think about maybe bringing the catcher count down to 3. I've found that with 4 junk arms floating around I usually have a catcher when I need it, even with only 3 copies.
  15. CaptainX24

The standard for Zeels as far as energy goes tends to be 9 L, 4 DCE. Sometimes 10 L.
  16. atomix

atomix Member

what energy to cut though? 10 lightning i think is needed to keep lightning coming, 2 for shaymin is needed the only think is to go to 3 dce.

Edit: I'm actually considering dropping the Zekrom EX for another N as I never seem to have a use for him and I only ever discard zekrom ex and I never take him with my dual balls, there are always other things I want out. what do you guys think of this?
  17. barkj0n

barkj0n New Member

My list is cool:

POKEHMANZ (16):
    4-3 Eels (3/1 30HP/40HP Tynamos)
    3 Thundurus
    2 Zekrom BW
    2 Mewtwo EX
    1 Zekrom EX
    1 Tyrogue

T/S/S (31):
    4 PONT
    4 Collector
    3 Juniper
    2 N
    1 Sage's
    1 Eviolite
    2 PokeGear
    2 Switch
    2 Level Ball
    2 PlusPower
    4 JUnk Arm
    3 Catcher
    1 Super Rod

ENERGY (13):
    9 Lightning
    4 DCE

Incredibly consistent. Haven't lost to mirror in 15+ games, and have lost only once to CMT in 10+ games.
    Gwaihir, jareddow30 and literally like this.
  18. CaptainX24

I'd make some tweaks to my personal preferences, but I will agree that the above is a good list.
  19. BokeG

BokeG Bronies Who play Pokemon are 20% Cooler!

My states is in a couple days and i've been arguing with myself for days on this list, so far this is what I have:

4-3 Eel (2 Free Retreat)
    2 Zekrom EX
    1 Zekrom
    2 Mewtwo EX
    1 Thundurus
    1 Zapdos
    1 Cleffa

3 Sage's Training
    4 Collector
    4 PONT
    2 Juniper
    2 Catcher
    2 Switch
    2 Lvl. Ball
    3 Eviolite
    4 Junk Arm
    2 Dual Ball
    1 Super Rod

4 DCE
    12 Lightning

BTW Zapdos actually works, puts Mewtwo in KO'able range for Zekrom EX and KO's weak stuff. Should I use level ball? Please help!
  20. CaptainX24

I say cut some Lightning for more draw power and Catchers. You might also be a bit heavy on the search side. 4 Collector + 2 Dual Ball + 2 Level Ball seems a little overkill. If anything, I think I'd probably cut the Dual Balls.

Note that some people also actually opt to play 4 DB no Collector.