Tier 2 Yveltal

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by baby_mario, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

Alright, here's the new list I came up with
    Pokemon:12
    3 Yveltal EX
    1 Darkrai EX
    2-2 Raichu
    1 Sableye
    1 Druddigon
    1 Bouffalant
    1 Jirachi EX

Supporters: 13
    4 N
    4 Juniper
    3 Colress
    2 Lysandre

Trainers: 23
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Laser
    3 Muscle Band
    1 Switch
    1 Escape Rope
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Surprise Megaphone
    1 Super Rod
    1 Dowsing Machine
    2 Virbank City Gym

Energy: 12
    8 Dark
    4 DCE
  2. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

- 1 Sableye + 1 Keldeo EX
    - 1 Surprise Megaphone + 1 Tool Scrapper
  3. Tax_collecter

Why Tool Scrapper?
  4. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Tool scrapper adds flexibility, if let's say you have a benched yveltal or Buffo and have the option to Ohko that turn but the difference is having a muscle band attached to that card when there is a float stone instead scrapper offers that option where megaphone cannot, but if all you have is muscle band having both doesn't matter.
  5. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

That list doesn't even run Float Stone.
  6. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yeah, tool scrapper makes a little more sense in Garbodor when you run several different types of items. But in Dark Rush decks Startling Megaphone is almost always going to be better.
  7. pokemonguy

If the opposing Yveltal has a Float Stone attached to it do you want to discard it? No. Ask any good player and they will choose Tool Scrapper over Megaphone.
    Chaostamer likes this.
  8. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I actually choose neither in my deck. Scrapper/Megaphone is only good vs. G Booster with this deck.
    jeffrey3421 likes this.
  9. Norava

Norava Member

What's the general strategy in an Yveltal/Garbodor mirror match-up?
  10. yoyos

^ take out there EX's first.
  11. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Be prepared to have a yveltal war, And when a huge yveltal (Yveltal with lots of energy on it) begins to form, prepare another back up yveltal on the bench.
  12. pokemonguy

Get Keldeo with a dark energy asap. It is the most powerful card in the mirror.
  13. Norava

Norava Member

I was told to safely delay attacking with your Yveltal EX as long as possible, since he who fires with one first kinda loses. Is that sound advice?
  14. Professor_N

Attacking with Y Cyclone instead of Evil Ball to conserve Energy when you cannot take an OHKO while also reducing their Evil Ball's damage is pretty good. Making them take 1 Prize on something like a Boufallant can be pretty good, especially if you can manage to take an OHKO with it before it dies. But in the end of the day, things like Dark Patch acceleration, Double Colorless Energy, Muscle Band, and LaserBank make it difficult to tell if the opponent will be able to take an OHKO on your Yveltal EX that only has 1-2 Energy on it next turn. If the opponent can load 4 Energy on an Yveltal EX with a Muscle Band and a LaserBank, then they can 1-shot your Yveltal EX with a single Energy on it. If they already have a DCE on a Benched Yveltal EX then it's something that you can play around, but if they have no Energy on it and manage to load one up with 4 in a single turn, well good for them, but you can likely just knock that guy out with your own Yveltal EX next turn. If they can then return the favor again for the 4th Prizes you will likely lose the game. So just be mindful of when they can possibly take out your Yveltal EX when you send it up.

I wouldn't say the first one attacking with Yveltal EX loses, because that's not really the case, with things like Lysandre and Pokemon Catcher in the format you can have a loaded Yveltal EX and grab an easy KO on one of their Benched Yveltal EXs. Also like I mentioned above Y Cyclone is pretty good for dealing damage while minimizing what the opposing Yveltal EXs can do.

I actually really like Yveltal XY for this match up. It lets you get some easy damage on the opposing Yveltal EXs while also setting up your Yveltal EXs for OHKOs when the time comes. That said I wouldn't play more than 1 Yveltal XY.
    Norava likes this.
  15. yoyos

The 2 biggest things in the mirror is the prize trade off and resources/what is your turn by turn come back/win strategy.

A lot of things can be said, As professor N did give a scenario, and many things could have happened both ways, for instance a buffo could have one shoted the yveltalEX leaving your yveltalEX with 2 energy on the bench for a turn, he now has the option to attack your benched yveltal or attack the buffo for fear that you could take out that yvetal regardless of what he does, this is what I call board control. Simple strategies that come out of nowhere like this really leave your opponent out in the open.
  16. Ein

Ein The Mega Man Master

In the mirror if you both have similar starts and maintain a similar pace, the game can become an N-fest at the end. You really want multiple attackers ready or near-ready before this happens. When these games come down to top decking, it's usually based on who can draw into energy. These lulls (which are caused by speed oddly enough) are not as bad if you can get a Sableye/Yveltal XY out to kickstart your deck.
  17. Norava

Norava Member

Yeah, with the decline of Blastoise/Rayboar in my area, I'm thinking about swapping out my Druddigon for another Yveltal XY.
  18. Professor_N

That's a bit risky. It's sooo needed for that match up. And also just hitting for a vanilla 90 with Revenge isn't too bad anyways.
  19. Tax_collecter

Also helps out with Raichu.
  20. Professor_N

That's true. Being able to KO a Raichu with anything other than Yveltal EX Revenge is pretty big.