Tier 2 Yveltal

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by baby_mario, Feb 9, 2014.

1. themiraclemeat

themiraclemeat Active Member

Two (2) Darkrai is overkill? Imo one of is useless, having two doubles the odds of getting the card into play and doubles the odds of it not getting it prized too. "even 2-2 brutal bash is fine, 4\2laserbank is probably the best way to to instead of 8 tools, computer search could be way better in brutal bash" I'll concede these points and test them out. Float stone isn't necessary in the Garbo build, any tool works for Garbotoxin, why not one that Yveltal and Darkrai can use too? and as far as basic none EX attacker goes: Garbotoxin. Prevents all abilities, including safeguard. and Zoroark can take out a Safeguarder too.[DOUBLEPOST=1402674738][/DOUBLEPOST]
    4band and 4claw is overkill, my thought behind that was that I wanted to have at least 6-8 tools in my deck to maximize my chances of Garbotoxin coming into play. Also I feel at that float stone only really helps Garbodor and I wanted to put in tools that helped all the pokemon in the deck. But ill try what Salamencetrainer34 said and drop the 4 claws for 4 lasers instead. and hope 4 bands and 2 mirrors is enough for Garbotoxin.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Float Stone certainly does not only help Garbodor. I can't tell you how many times I've had something like a Druddigon or Boufallant active and no way to retreat it because I don't play Darkrai or during the time I did play Darkrai (which I would recommend playing 1 Darkrai) it was prized. Float Stone can get you out of that rough spot fairly easily.
    themiraclemeat likes this.
  3. StuartHayden

StuartHayden Be GDLK or Go Home.

This is what I've been currently running. It's been doing okay. It feels like it's a pretty standard build.

Pokemon
    1 Absol
    1 Druddigon
    2 Darkrai EX
    3 Yveltal EX
    2-2 Garbodor

Items
    1 Computer Search (ACE SPEC)
    1 Professors Letter
    2 Bicycle
    2 Random Receiver
    3 Float Stone
    3 Muscle Band
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Ultra Ball

Stadium
    3 Virbank City Gym

Supporter
    2 Lysandre
    4 N
    4 Professor Juniper

Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy
    8 Darkness Energy
  4. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

I've been playing Yveltal Raichu for a while now, and I gotta say, I've been having a lot of success and tons of fun with it.
    Here's the list

Pokemon: 14
    3 Yveltal EX
    2 Darkrai EX
    2 Druddigon
    1 Yveltal
    2-2 Raichu
    1 Keldeo EX
    1 Jirachi EX

Supporters: 13
    4 N
    4 Juniper
    3 Colress
    2 Lysandre

Trainers/tools/stadiums: 21
    4 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Muscle Band
    1 Switch
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine
    2 Virbank City Gym

Energy: 12
    8 Dark
    4 DCE
  5. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

You don't need to 2 Druddigon or Darkrai. You also don't run any Sableye or Megaphone. I assume Keldeo is to get out of the poison lock, but remember that many decks that run LaserBank, will be pairing it with Garbodor.
  6. Arkius

Arkius New Member

I think you need the extra darkrai because the raichu variant doesn't run float stones. Your retreat option has to be consistently in your deck and not prized.
    StuartHayden and Tax_collecter like this.
  7. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

Honestly, I think the Raichu variant is better served by running some copies of Switch or Escape Rope.
  8. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Darkrai in yveltal/garbo just seems like slots for buffo and absol imo, same with straight yveltal, darkrai is good for retreat but so does a 3 cards slot of 2 float stone and a keldeo, save the attachment and or e.switch for something you intend to attack with, they need it more.
  9. Professor_N

I've had plenty of times in Yveltal/Garb where I wished I could retreat my active Yveltal EX/Druddigon/whatever but didn't have the necessary Energy or a Float Stone to do it (or just didn't want to toss 2 Energy to do it). Darkrai EX is perfect for that. I've also been able to take a few cheap wins with Night Spear hitting the Bench and the Active at the same time. I also have a Darkrai playmat. So what I'm saying is I like Darkrai.
  10. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

This deck needs Darkrai, even with Float Stone or Garbodor.
  11. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

This deck does need Darkrai. It help the VirGen matchup and also wins games with it's snipe. For the love of god play Darkrai.
  12. Professor_N

How exactly does it help the VirGen matchup? You still get OHKO'd by G Booster.
  13. Tax_collecter

I don't see why you wouldn't want Darkrai, he helps to fuel Raichu's attack and give you retreat with out having to use a trainer. Not to mention a good attack.
  14. Chaostamer

I never said not to run any Darkrai. But I'd rather have one Darkrai and a couple of Escape Ropes than two Darkrai or a Keldeo or anything like that.
  15. Tax_collecter

What are the main advantages of two Switch/Escape Rope over the two Darkrai? I can see the Escape Ropes coming in handy for the Catcher effect and Switch to get out of Poison lock, and to retreat for Garbodor. But running two Darkrai and one Switch/Escape seems to be the better choice, or maybe I'm just over thinking this.
  16. Chaostamer

Escape Rope's disruption effect is really powerful and can also help you retreat when Asleep or when under Garbotoxin, both of which are big concerns in this metagame.
  17. Tax_collecter

So would you go full out Escape Rope or a 1/1 split of Switch?
  18. Chaostamer

I've always favored heavy Escape Rope/Warp Point. Sometimes you're forced to Escape Rope when you don't want to move the opponent's Active Pokémon, but the benefits outweigh that risk to me.
    Tax_collecter likes this.
  19. Tax_collecter

But is running Escape Ropes alongside a pair of Lysandre a good choice?
  20. Chaostamer

Sure. More disruption never hurts.