Tier 2 Yveltal

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by baby_mario, Feb 9, 2014.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

So, Yveltal is like Mewtwo, right?

Only Mewtwo was misunderstood and mistreated, while Yveltal is just an evil bastard (probably).

Pokemon (9)

3 Yveltal (XY 78)
    3 Yveltal EX (XY 79)
    2 Darkrai EX (all set versions acceptable, but NOT the tin one)
    1 Keldeo EX (BC 142, but I guess the others are ok)

T/S/S (37)

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    4 Random Receiver
    4 Bicycle
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Dark Claw
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Energy Switch
    2 Max Potion
    1 Dowsing MCHN
    2 Shadow Circle

Energy (14)

4 Double Colourless
    10 Dark

Start Baby Yveltal, do damage and accelerate Energy, then kill stuff with Big Yveltal's Evil Ball.

Heal with Max Potion if you want: you got E Switch/Patch.

Darkrai and Keldeo because free retreat and switching is nice to have.

Shadow Circle because screw toolboxes and tech Raichu/Dugtrio. Those decks don't really have room for kickgyms, so you're good.

4 of things because that's how I like it, and it's a good place to start.

On the other hand, if you enjoy making a dog's dinner out of your deck, then you could consider:

Mr Mime
    Enhanced Hammers
    Sableye
    Laser (with or without Bank. Evil Ball +10 hits odd numbers without adding more Energy)
    Tool Scrapper
    Catcher
    Frozen City
    Professor's Letter

But not all at once.
    webjefita, Tax_collecter and Gelato like this.
  2. snscompt1

snscompt1 The worst Mafia player ever.

Why Dark Claw? Why not Muscle Band?
    Otaku likes this.
  3. Drench

Drench Active Member

So you just accept an auto loss to Rayboar and Blastoise. Along with Fairies if you don't spread and spul damage early.

+1 respect.

DarkGarb is still the ideal version competitively.

Darkrai is a disruption deck, and you left out almost all of the disruption. It'll fall flat for you, but goodluck!
  4. baby_mario

Because Dark Claw is more on-theme. Realistically, I'm not going to Band Keldeo, so why not keep the deck nice and dark?[DOUBLEPOST=1391964884][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Darkrai doesn't have to be a disruption deck, but . . .

This isn't Darkrai. It's not trying to be Darkrai. I didn't even want to include bloody Darkrai, but the free retreet was too useful to pass up. I'm quite sick of Darkrai now, and DarkGarb is very boring to play and very easy to force ties against.

This is me trying to make a deck with Yveltal.

There aren't really any autolosses anymore, thanks to variance, and a deck that can hit very hard on its second turn is always going to have a fighting chance.
  5. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

You got a problem with the tin Darkrai EX?
  6. baby_mario

Extensive playtesting shows that it performs consistently to a lower standard than any of the set versions.
  7. Professor_N

Welp, you got me there.

On a related note, I really like the inclusion of Shadow Circle and the exclusion of LaserBank, as cards like Thundurus could be quite a problem for a Yveltal deck.
    PellOfTheTundra likes this.
  8. 8bitdonut

8bitdonut The dough-nuttiest

I mentioned this in another thread regarding Yveltal, Frozen City does wonders for Yveltal (So long as you're facing a non-plasma deck). If they attach when Frozen City's in play, that's 2 less energy on the board Yveltal needs to KO that particular Pokemon. It can be a double edged sword, but if you focus on only attaching from hand to 1-prizers like BabyYveltal and Sableye and get all the dark onto YveltalEX via Dark Patch, you can get around Frozen City screwing yourself over.
  9. Professor_N

Could be good, but you'll really need to play around it with Energy Switches and having to use Yveltal XY and Sableye for longer then you perhaps would have if you didn't have Frozen City out.
  10. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

b_m, this list is gorgeous. The only things I can even THINK of changing are dropping an RR and a Bike for another Circle and a scrapper.
  11. Datwombat

Datwombat Wannabe Failure

Yveltal is an extremely good card and deserves its own deck like this. Only thing i would suggest is a Bouffalant or two, as it is extremely solid and only gives up one prize while usually trading well with EX's.
    Also, Tin Darkrai won worlds ;)
  12. PellOfTheTundra

Disagree on Bouffy, and here's why:

A. I can't patch to it.
    B. Yveltal XY is already 2shotting everything and even factoring the ability Bouff has it can take a single hit harder
    C. I'd rather not blow my DCEs on something like Bouff when I can swing harder with Yveltal-EX. I tested with Bouff for a while, and I almost NEVER saw an actual opportunity to use it.
  13. SamSoldier

SamSoldier Don't know what to put here D:

I like the concept and the list a lot. The only thing I would add thought is a single sableye, since returning back items is sooo good.
  14. Professor_N

I have a single Sableye in my list. I've never used it.
    Gradientraptor likes this.
  15. PellOfTheTundra

I have used it one time: I had all 3 Yveltal XY prized.
  16. baby_mario

It just struck me that this deck plays very like the Celebi/Mewtwo deck from a couple of years back.

Don't mistake it for a Darkrai variant. The whole point is to overwhelm with quick kills with Yveltal.
    8bitdonut likes this.
  17. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Only thing I would change would be -1 ultra ball and -1 RR. Maybe add 2 shauna?
  18. baby_mario

Seems kind of random to me. This deck doesn't lack draw. I want 4 Ultra Ball because I want Dark in the discard T1 and something to attach it to on my Bench.

The RR will get me either Junps or N, so why would I want to replace that with a Shauna? You could replace the Ns with Shaunas, but I wanted max early game draw. I wouldn't have a big problem with it though. Replacing a Bike or two is another alternative.
  19. PellOfTheTundra

CMT? If so, I was thinking the same thing.

Also, THANK YOU for saying what I have been saying for like 2 months. This isn't Darkrai. It doesn't play like Darkrai. You rarely even use Darkrai for anything but the ability.
  20. Professor_N

I'm having such a hard time beating Thundurus/Deoxys/Lugia decks. I feel like it's just so hard to be able to not only KO the Thundurus but then also deal with the Lugia OHKOing your Yveltal EXs with ease...