Yugioh for Pokemon players

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zarco, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Zarco

Zarco Alternate format enthusiast

I've gotten a tad bored with Pokemon TCG lately- the majority of decks have no real combo (big basics, TDK) or have painfully obvious ones (Blastoise/Keldeo, Genesect/Virizion)- the only deck with the strategic feel I was going for was Flareon/Cofagrigus, but it still was pretty basic. After all, Pokemon cards really are aimed at young children in comparison to a lot of other TCGs. And so, I decided to try Yugioh.

The transition is a bit rough, as there are FAR more cards (there's no rotation, only a ban/limit list, so basically every card ever made is usable) and decks are much more complex. There is far less draw power, so card advantage is important, and there is a lot more nuance. Even simple cards/decks are much more complex than the 4th gen cards (which had many more effects and powers than BW and the sets before DP), and there are many combos and intricate decks.

And, there is much more nuance in playing as well. In Pokemon, many top matchups- as long as they're played decently- come down to simple facts about the matchup (Keldeo can break Accelgor lock, so Blastoise- provided it gets the turtle up- has the advantage), deck choices (the key 2nd or 3rd Keldeo in Darkrai, the extra supporters in your list helping you in a mirror match, etc.) and to luck of the draw. Yugioh is less about draw power, and matchups are generally more ambivalent or come down more to skill (not to say luck doesn't play a big part... stall decks are stupidly based on your draws, and you won't get to refresh your hand really, so your starting hand is important). Even in a bad matchup, like Dragon Rulers or Mermails vs Evilswarms (Evilswarms stop them from getting out their big hitters), there are tons of ways to play around them that keeps the game up in the air.

I'm still not very good, but I'm having a blast getting into a new game aimed more at strategy (in my humble opinion). So, any other YGO players out there? Anyone interested in getting into it? Anyone have comments on it vs. Pokemon? Etc. etc.
    StrongRhino and HighShroomish like this.
  2. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

Yes!!!! Another yugioh player! Also, I highly recommend Dueling Network for more practice. What deck are you using ATM? I'm using Heroic Challengers. Ridiculously fun to play.
  3. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

I've played YGO before, but don't do it that much. I prefer competitive Pokemon because the game is more involved (Pokemon: play about 6 cards per turn, YGO play 3), and not to mention the YGO format right now is TERRIBLE (they just had their worlds and only two different decks were in the ENTIRE FIELD of 30.)
    I prefer DevPro as a simulator though, since I don't like chat options and the play is smoother.
  4. HighShroomish

That's why we're getting JOTL. It's so obviously an apology set it hurts. And I haven't tried DevPro yet. A few of my friends have recommended it, but I didn't want to have to make another account on another TCG simulator. I'll probably just try it tomorrow though.

But in all seriousness, Tachyon was a really OP set. Breaking the game in two isn't something I like. However, Prophecy and Dragon Rulers are most definitly getting hit by the banlist in September. If not i might have to write a rage letter to konami.
  5. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

From the rumor list that was posted on the official site, there is a limit placed on Spellbook of Judgment and you can only play 6 E-Dragons in your deck. I don't know about that though.
  6. HighShroomish

Where'd you see that o_O
  7. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

Video by MegaCapitalG.
  8. HighShroomish

I'll have to check that out.

Anyway. What do you think of the Bujin cards? They seem decent.
  9. Zarco

I'm using YGOPro right now- I appreciate the automation since I'm new and also tend to multitask, and I'm on a mac so I can't use DevPro. It's pretty good, and the opponents are good players.

I'm currently playing Machina Gadgets (with Redox, Tin Goldfish, Kagetokage for those big XYZ plays), but am also toying with Constellars and Evilswarms. I was playing Fire King/Fire Fist at first, but I'm not really a fan.

Bujins seem to be really good, but something about them makes them kind of unappealing to me. Maybe since you spend a lot of time with a board of lv 4s- I much prefer going into some XYZ for protection and utility than to leave vulnerable things out. Vanity's makes them awesome, though, and I can't really complain about an archetype that can abuse Tenki/Tensu and Honest.
    HighShroomish likes this.
  10. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

However, Pokemon is easy to play Yu-gi-oh isn't. I was trying to start playing Yu-gi-oh but the rules are far too complicated and confusing.
  11. Zarco

I was the same way. The basic rules are pretty simple, it's just the massive amount of card effects that makes it hard. I recommend watching some youtubers play- AznEyesWhiteDragon, Wilechase, Busfare, Pinkreaper, etc. are all pretty good to watch- or, and this may sound a bit silly, you can try one of the GBA games (on ROM or on the actual cartridge if you can get it) to get a handle on playing.
    HighShroomish likes this.
  12. HighShroomish

Whats the point of a trading card game if its easy.

Someone at my league uses that too, and it gets annoying after a little bit. I mean, it's basically "Oh, you Dark Holed/Heavy Stormed? Normal Gadget, Specialspecialspecialspecialspecial Xyzeed 3 times in one turn with no field."
    Zarco likes this.
  13. Zarco

I don't normally go off like that (excusing a game or two where I've gotten T1 Gigant + Dracossack), but there's something to be said about easy XYZ plays- and ones that refill your hand, no less. When you get out a 2300 beater, and get replacements for both cards used to make it, you can just keep rolling on.
  14. HighShroomish

Lol I know. I can't really say too much since I use Lion Heart :p
  15. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

I don't mean being easy, I men straightforward. Easy to pick and get the hang of.
    Otaku likes this.
  16. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

HOLY CRAP LOOK AT ALL THOSE LIMITATIONS
  17. Jirachion

Jirachion is now addicted with Pokemon gijinkas.

Personally, Yugioh seems harder than Pokemon, but that's good because I like challenges. I've been trying a Naturia based deck using Naturia Beans and Naturia Mosquito. I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions.
  18. HighShroomish

WOW. Dragon Rulers is dead. And prophecy just got nuked. Wind-Ups aren't any good anymore. And FRICKIN GLAD BEASTS ARE BACK!!!!!! FINALLY!! Glad control-burn for BDIF anyone:p
  19. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

I used to play when it was first released, I watch the new show once in a while but as far as the card game goes, I wouldn't know anything now.

I do know one thing Pokemon vs. Yu-Gi-Oh. The player base of Pokemon player base far exceeds the YGO one. Not in a manner or players but how involved they are and how much love the game brings. YGO brings a lot of scumbags and thieves...not to mention the occasional cheater.
    Otaku likes this.
  20. HighShroomish

Which is why I use a deck that punishes anyone and everyone.[DOUBLEPOST=1376422690][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Pineapple. Use Pineapple. I usually don't like helping people with Naturia decks. They lock down better than Six Sams, but since I won't be playing you(I hope) then might as well. But Pineapple and Bamboo Shoot are really the main drivers of the deck. Once you get up Beast and Barkion, your opponent should scoop if they have any common sense, unless they use something that can kill you without spells and traps, like Mermails. And Evilswarms. Almost forgot Constellars. More than I thought wow >.<

Oh, and T1 Lion Heart 3 times in a row. They rage quit all three times.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013