Weight lifting thread (skinny people invited!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WolfusMandrago, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit. Staff Member

Yeah that might be good, I'll have to try those out next time. Thanks for the suggestion!
  2. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

Why Jump in place when you can just speed jump rope adam o_O? Looks like I know what you need for Christmas...
  3. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

I lift about 260lbs every morning when I get my fat azz outta bed.
  4. Adam

Hah I've actually got a couple nice ropes and was using them, but I realized I can basically do the same motion/intensity of a double-under without needing the rope, which is better since then I don't have to worry about tripping up. (I was doing more double-unders than speed work, in which case a rope would be necessary to keep tempo.)
  5. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Lifting? What pokemon is that?
  6. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

I just had the most exhausting 21 hours of my life. I was in the water practicing for a total of 7 3/4 hours, I was running on 3 hours of sleep, and we swam a total of 26,000 yards, along with seeing a movie in between practices last night, which lasted from 3:30 P.M. to 5:30 P.M., and 10:15 P.M. to 12:00 A.M. Then there were the morning practices from 6:45 A.M. to 9:15 A.M. and 10:30 A.M. to 12:00 PM. Can't wait till next years lock in!

Our sets were something like this-
    WARM UP PRACTICE 1
    400 yards
    20x 50s
    -3 on the .45
    -2 on the .40
    10 x100 kick on 1:45

I can't remember any of the sets

WARM UP PRACTICE
    400 yards
    20x 50s
    -3 on the .45
    -2 on the .40
    10 x100 kick on 1:45
    MAIN SET PRACTICE 2
    50x 50s
    -1 25 fly/25 free (sprint)
    -1 25 back/25 free (sprint)
    -1 25 breast/25 free (sprint)
    -1 free (easy)
    -1 free (sprint
    ^10 times through
    WARM DOWN PRACTICE 2
    200 free (easy)

*stay up till three like an idiot*

WARM UP PRACTICE 3
    400 free
    16x 50 free
    -2 on .45
    -2 on .40
    10x 100 free kick on the 1:45
    MAIN SET
    1x 150 on the 2:10
    1x 300 on the 4:20
    1x 450 on the 6:40
    1x 600 on the 9:00
    ^2 times through
    I feel like I'm forgetting a kick set

WARM UP PRACTICE 4
    400 free 25 catch-up drill/25 free swim by 50
    12x 50
    -2 on .45
    -2 on .40
    MAIN SET PRACTICE 4
    4x 75 on 1:20 free sprint
    4x 50 on 1:00 free sprint
    3x 100 on 1:40 free easy
    3x 75 on 1:20 free sprint
    5x 50 on 1:00 free sprint
    3x 100 on 1:40 free easy
    2x 75 on 1:20 free sprint
    6x 50 on 1:00 free sprint
    WARM DOWN(LAST SET OF LOCK-IN)
    20x 50
    -5 on .45 free
    -10 on .50 free
    -5 on .55 free

I forget quite a bit, but I couldn't remember much of it anyways. I could've sworn we did much more kick than that as well.
  7. WolfusMandrago

WolfusMandrago Squatting below parallel

I get tired after an hour of swimming but I've never been an exceptional swimmer.

@Adam
    Your knee pain could be from a few different things. Try standing up with your usual posture. Look at your feet: what direction are they pointing in? If your feet are pointing at "12 o'clock" (straight ahead, or close to it) then you have the ideal foot position. If your feet are pointing inward that's bad (mostly a girl thing). If they're out toward 10 and 2 this is also bad and puts excess torque on your knees. Add any kind of exercise or weight and that problem gets worse.

For reference, toes pointing outwards are usually called duck feet; I can't remember the real name for it.

If you squat with bad form you will feel it in your knees (most common) or lower back (less common). Bad form is incredibly common, which is why so many lifters recommend half or quarter squats. However, half reps are actually worse because it develops muscle imbalances.

Babies can do deep squats naturally without trouble. Olympic lifters do deep squats - with weights - and have no trouble. Medical conditions aside, it's all about form baby!
  8. Bezzie72

Bezzie72 Active Member

Ive got a bit of expierencing with slimming down and then trying to bulk up. I had a shoulder surgery my sophomore year of high school, ive never been a particularly small guy. But pre suegery i was 5'10 and about 195ish, and after a year and physical therapy i grew a few inches but i also packed on about 70 pounds. I spent the majority of my junior year just slimming down. Football helped but i was running 50+suicides and 50+ up downs daily on top of cardio. It took about 6 months but i dropped down to 210ish and from there it was bulking up. I kept up the cardio, but i was really into P90x. That helped a lot, i till had all my cardio i was putting on lean weight and i was getting more flexible(really helps putting on muscle) and by my senior i was where i wanted to be, i was about 230. And ive pretty much stayed around, right now im 245ish but ll have much more now so im gonna be hitting p90 again just to slim out a bit.
  9. Adam

@WolfusMandrago I got the knee pain from doing wall sits, not squats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_sit

Thanks for the info on the feet position. I still think that the average person should probably doing safer alternatives to barbell squats though (like goblet squats for example).
  10. WolfusMandrago

I admit I'm not a professional when it comes to exercise; I'm as average as it gets! I can speak from personal experience though.

I squatted 225 lbs (102 kg) today (4 hours ago as of this post) for the first time with a barbell, below parallel. I didn't feel any pain after doing 3 sets of 5 reps. I did feel minor discomfort on my upper shoulders from supporting the weight but it went away once I racked the bar. Woo hoo for new personal best!

I started doing barbell squats on August 1st, starting with an empty bar. It wasn't even an olympic bar, which means it was less than 45 lbs. I began experiencing knee and hip pain around the 150 lb mark in the second month. My form was bad and I didn't correct it for a few weeks. It hurt to walk and even hurt to sleep.

Now my form for my legs is great and after almost 5 months of squatting 3x a week I can do 225 lbs with no pain. The position of my back is the current project I'm on but mastery is an ongoing process.

I don't know anyone who is drug free and muscular who does bodyweight squats. I know guys like Hugh Jackman, Henry Cavill and Chris Hemsworth lift heavy. Heck, I think even Taylor Lautner lifts heavy (I know, I know).

I wouldn't advocate lifting too heavy too soon. Still, I started as light as it gets and I'm doing 200+ in less than 6 months.
  11. Adam

You've only been squatting for 6 months and you're young; if your only goal is look like one of those actors, then I can't deny that heavy lifting will build muscle and help achieve your desired physique, but do realize that injury is a real possibility even if you are careful, especially as you get older. After doing various types of workouts over the years (and getting hurt and worn down from many of them), my main goal at this point is to not get injured. I still try to build muscle, but I'm more concerned about the long run now and not damaging my body.
  12. HighShroomish

Yeah... even though swimming is gonna give me exreme arthritis everywhere when I'm older, I still do it... I try not to think about that too much.
  13. Adam

At least swimming is low impact and relatively easy on the body, from what I understand. Plenty of old farts still hop into the pool to splash around. It's probably one of the more lifelong activities you could do.
  14. HighShroomish

Not competitive. Not even close.
  15. WolfusMandrago

When you become a famous swimmer, you have to let me photobomb a few of your pictures.
    HighShroomish likes this.
  16. HighShroomish

Grrr... I forgot the year ends on Tuesday... I still haven't broken a minute on my hundred free... Probably going to ask my coach if I can try after practice Tuesday.
  17. SkilletPanHead

SkilletPanHead I feel like a monster

Are push ups a good way to get upper-body strength? I've started doing about 50 in the morning and 50 at night.
  18. Adam

Try doing them very slowly and concentrate on form. Doing 100 daily is probably better than doing none, but that's too many if you want to gain muscle. Do you ever feel sore from doing them?
  19. WolfusMandrago

Joel McHale of Community (a.k.a Jeff Winger) is a big advocate of push ups. He was featured in a Men's Health article where he talked about his workouts.

However, he added weight to his pushups.

You can raise your feet on a couch or box to shift your weight onto your arms. You can purchase a weighted vest or fill a backpack with something heavy for a cheaper alternative. In Joel's article, he said he sometimes gets his kid to sit on his back during push ups.

If you're already a light guy, doing 50 push ups won't get you significant results. It's better than doing nothing but you have to challenge your muscles to make them grow.

Doorframe chin up bars are inexpensive as long as you have a door in your house with the right shape. It's a great bodyweight exercise. For the backpack idea, a 4L jug of water (or 1 gallon-ish) won't cost much. When the water gets too light, drink it and then fill it with sand.
  20. HighShroomish

I find it slightly ironic that the last time anyone posted on this thread was the day before New Years.
    Anyways- semi-protip for people with lower back problems-
    If you have tight hamstrings, stretch. And stretch. And stretch some more. Take Aleve or Advil in the morning or before you go do a ton of core stuff. Ice it after you exercise, and before you go to bed. If you're in school and carry a heavy book bag every where- leave it in a strategic location where you can pull the books out that you need for the next class, but do NOT carry it around every where, it's added strain that can be easily prevented. But stretching is arguably the most important. I used to barely be able to get to the halfway point when tryng to touch my toes(yours may not be that bad, but wait) and now I can barely touch them, but my back still flares from time to time, so I keep stretching.
    tl:dr- STRETCH
    Gelato likes this.