Tier 1 Virizion EX, Genesect EX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jeffrey3421

jeffrey3421 Swarm Wannabe

Straight V/G has an awful Yveltal matchup.
    If a huge Yveltal comes out of nowhere and one-shots your Genesect, wiping all the energy off of your board, you lose.
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Not to mention Yveltal EX's early pressure on Virizion EX can be a big deal. If they go first and get the attack off before you can Emerald Slash, you won't be able to get 2 Emerald Slashes off of 1 Virizion EX, which is really bad for you.
  3. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

You made a mistake
  4. Tsunami

Tsunami Seems legit.

No, he is implying the first attack of the game, as you can't till T2. Overall, not on the turn
  5. Professor_N

What? I'm saying if the Yveltal deck goes first and can attack you before you can use Emerald Slash, which mean they go first, attach, pass, you attach to Virizion, pass, they attach to Yveltal and use Evil Ball or Y Cyclone, and now your Virizion has at least 90 damage on it and you can't use more than one Emerald Slash with that Virizion. A way to get around this is to switch to another Virizion on the Bench and use Energy Switch and attach to it and then you can probably use 2 Emerald Slashes with it, unless they can get an OHKO with Evil Ball, but assuming they can't, that's your only real way to be able to Emerald Slash twice if you go second, which is a big set back. That said, if you go first, you should be able to get the 2 Emerald Slashes unless something crazy happens and they OHKO Virizion EX early on with some sort of DCE/Dark Patches/Muscle Band/Garbotoxin/LaserBank shenanigans.
  6. jeffrey3421

T1 Evil Ball.
    Which isn't even that much of a stretch really.
  7. Professor_N

While I agree that it's not that much of a stretch, it's not really something that you can care too much about while thinking about the match up, because if that does happen, you're probably not going to win anyways.
  8. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

With Sky Arrow going is the best bet to go back to Laser Bank?
  9. Professor_N

Probably. Honestly I was going back to LaserBank anyways.
  10. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

What point do they serve in Virizion?
  11. Professor_N

Extra damage.
  12. Cobalt314

Cobalt314 Cybernetic Superconductor

Since most variant of Virizion/Genesect that I see run Raichu, would Training Center also be a viable alternative?
    EDIT: Also, since Tool Scrapper is going, is Tool Retrieval worth it for replacing Muscle band with G Booster, or should the deck run full Megaphone?
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  13. Professor_N

Training Center is probably not very good since if a Pokemon can do 90 it can also do 120 most of the time.
  14. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Why play something that someone can counter and take a prize away from you off of? Training center is like plasma frigate, good in circumstances.

Laser/bank, virizion, muscle band, buffolant = 200+ dmg enough to knock out an EX, virizion/buffo in the past with just laser bank made for an amazing turn 3 EX counter in pressuring decks while you take the off hand turn to setup on genesect or another virizion for genesect or buffo, the overall combo with muscle band makes it so that buffo in virgen can easily counter a mega and most to all EX's.
  15. jeffrey3421

Thing is/laserbank is kinda irrelevant.
    T2 emerald Slash(50)+T3 Gold Breaker(120)=170, enough to knock out many popular ex's.
    If there's a Darkrai or a Lugia active, just slap on a muscle band on the Emerald Slash or Gold Breaker.
  16. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

Laser damage is never irrelevant. One of the main reasons the card is so good in the deck is that it applies pressure in the early turns when you're setting up and using Emerald Slash. Against a card like Yveltal-EX that very well could knock out your Virizion-EX after just one Emerald Slash, Lasers allow you to keep up with their momentum. Then you can Emerald Slash their Yveltal and power up a backup Virizion-EX, forcing them to either retreat or sacrifice their Yveltal-EX while you maintain your Energy acceleration. Suddenly their speed is offset and you're back in the game. Lasers give you openings like that all the time, and that's what makes them so useful.

Besides, they help with plenty of numbers. Emerald Slash plus Megalo Cannon plus Muscle Band plus Hypnotoxic Laser is 180 damage over two turns, no Stadium required. That's perfect math for some big Pokémon-EX like Landorus-EX and Lugia-EX. Another situation is Megalo Cannon plus Muscle Band plus LaserBank. That's 150, which is a perfect opening to finish off a 170-HP Pokémon-EX with Megalo Cannon snipe (and with Lysandre, Escape Rope, and Red Signal, Genesect decks have a lot of ways to pull that off).

Lasers also swing the TDK matchup a fair bit. Megalo Cannon plus LaserBank one-shots a Kyurem PLF. Nothing else short of a G Booster can do that, and given the rising popularity of TDK, that's a pretty important ability for the deck to have.

So, yeah. If you're running Genesect, don't disregard Lasers. They're pretty good. The end.
  17. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Buffo/gold breaker is rotated out of the format.

Laserbank swings alot of your matchups your way, laserbank/buffo/bangle became a thing for awhile during last years cities.
  18. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

I really think that lazers are good in the first turns, but no the layers ones with the exception of TDK.
    I also don't understand how to fit it in the deck with a 2-2 Raichu, so if some one knows, please tell me.
  19. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

A friend of mine ran Lasers and Raichu (I think she cut Energy Switch and a couple other cards), but honestly, I think the best play is just to not run Raichu. In my testing, I found Lasers to help against Yveltal much more than Raichu did.

But all this is largely irrelevant since everything changes after rotation.
  20. Cobalt314

Cobalt314 Cybernetic Superconductor

I don't think the second part of my post ever got a reply.