Tier 1 Virizion EX, Genesect EX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

This deck is for Virizion and Genesect EX AKA "horse and buggy". The strategy is to start using Virizion EX's attack to power up Genesect EX, attach G Booster to Genesect EX and do 200 damage as much as possible.

[spoiler=Click Here to Show List]
    Pokemon

4 Virizion EX
    3 Genesect EX
    1 Mr. Mime

T/S/S

4 Junipers
    4 Skyla
    4 N
    1 Colress
    1 Shadow Triad

4 Colress Machine
    3 Catcher
    3 Scrappers
    2 Random Receiver
    3 Energy Search
    2 Energy Search
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 G-Booster
    3 SAB

Energy
    10 Grass
    4 Plasma
    [/spoiler]
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    SamSoldier likes this.
  2. GreenPepper

GreenPepper Badly addicted to League of Legends

The one thing I learned from my testing is that you need 2 Super Rod. Also, you should have non-EX attackers, probably either Tropius PLB, Virizion PLB and Bouffalant DRX. Also, you need Colress Machine to use G Booster twice in a row, unless you load 4 energy on Genesect and attach to it the following turn.
  3. infernaperocks

infernaperocks A Proud Member Of Team Rouge!

you may want to cut the supporter line way to much is dedicated to it 21 spots.
    Alastair likes this.
  4. WuBMaYNE

WuBMaYNE You Need More Minerals

This deck is gonna be so Tier 2 until they reprint Energy Switch, it makes me sad. :(
    JR_nathan likes this.
  5. Drench

Drench Active Member

Lol, there's going to be only like.. 1 Tier 1 deck then.
  6. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

What how[DOUBLEPOST=1376545759][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, can anyone who is testing well with this deck post a list? I am legitimately at a loss to how this deck beats anything besides Plasma, and in builds that could beat plasma I played 6 spots to beat it.
  7. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

The problem isn't the deck, it's people's expectations of it.

I get the impression that people thought that Virizion + Genesect + Trainers = autowin anything but the mirror. That was never going to happen in a format with so much built-in inconsistency and so many powerful attackers.

Deck is solid. Will win its fair share of BRs. Lists are immature right now and will develop over the next couple of months.
  8. Ziggmiceter

Yes, I agree, but there are just so many people saying the deck is working well for them. I'm sure it will end up like Blastoise did, though.
    MetalArmedAngel likes this.
  9. baby_mario

People always say stuff like that, but unless I know how legit their testing is, I tend to ignore it. Especially at this time of year which is pretty much the silly season for Pokemon where not a single competitive game has been played in the format.

Genesect is a very good attacker. Much too good to fail completely. Especially as there are no really satisfactory Fire Pokemon to hard counter it.
    Ziggmiceter likes this.
  10. JR_nathan

JR_nathan Mr.3 Rings Himself

The only similarity between Blastoise and VirGen is that both are auto-pilot decks. Other than that, there is no way that Genesect will be the dominate tier 1 deck for the next few months, even though Blastoise was when it first came out.

Sadly, that honor will still belong to TDK.
  11. infernaperocks

I think that the deck will not be able to be considered good or bad until after Battle roads. Simply because lists are not perfect the techs may not fit well. Honestly even when testing right now no matter how legitimate it is you may just have advantages because your opponent isn't quite sure how it will work.
  12. baby_mario

Genesect is a ridiculously good card. It's very close to Darkrai levels of goodness and it has G-Booster to give it the OHKO power Darkrai often lacked.

I'm very confident it will be top tier once lists are refined.
  13. infernaperocks

yeah by regionals it should be tier 1. Also there is a rumor of energy switch being reprinted before cities which could make the deck even stronger.
  14. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

First off, the OP list is pretty terrible for various reasons...

My list for Balloon Animals as it stands is as followed for Zigg and whoever else wants to use it for reference. Extensive positive testing that doesn't matter much till my BR's

Pokemon: 14
    x4 Virizion EX
    x3 Genesect EX<-----Considering changing this to 2
    x3 Drifloon PLB
    x2 Drifblim DRX
    x1 Drifblim PLB<----depending on taking this out but 70 damage for
    x1 Bouffalant

T/S/S: 33
    Trainers;
    x3 Catchers
    x3 Tool Scrappers
    x3 Colress Machine
    x2 Enhanced Hammers
    x2 Super Rod
    x2 Team Plasma Ball
    x2 Ultra Ball

Supporter;
    x4 Juniper
    x3 N
    x2 Skyla
    x2 Shadow Triad
    x1 Colress
    x1 Caitlyn

Ace Spec;
    G-Booster

Stadium;
    x2 Sky Arrow Bridge

Energy: 13
    x8 Grass
    x3 Plasma
    x2 DCE

I like it and will make changes as I go about it.
    Alastair and PokemonPlayer101 like this.
  15. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

Next time I won't get a list from Pokebeach. : P
  16. baby_mario

Normally, I would consider a comment like that spam and delete it.

However, it's probably one of the best pieces of general advice on the forum.
  17. Ziggmiceter

Blastoise was terrible until late cities/regionals.
    cyndaquil and MetalArmedAngel like this.
  18. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

Wait what?

Blastoise, in the hands of a player who knew how to build it, was fantastic in early CC's, especially when the masses didn't get how to properly build it.
    Snorlax1234 and Serperior like this.
  19. Ziggmiceter

Yes, but barely anyone knew how to build it from the start, and that's the point I'm trying to make.
    cyndaquil likes this.
  20. djf123

djf123 Basically Lance Armstrong..

Here's the list I've been testing with positive results. I've easily played over 50 games of NXD-On with this list and I am really enjoying it.

Pokemon - 9

4 x Virizion EX
    3 x Genesect EX
    2 x Bouffalant DRX

T/S/S - 35

4 x Professor Juniper
    4 x N
    3 x Skyla
    2 x Colress
    2 x Shadow Triad

3 x Switch
    3 x Colress Machine
    3 x Ultra Ball
    3 x Pokemon Catcher
    2 x Silver Bangle
    1 x Max Potion
    1 x Tool Scrapper
    1 x Plasma Ball
    1 x Super Rod
    1 x G Booster

1 x Skyarrow Bridge

Energy - 16

10 x Grass Energy
    4 x Plasma Energy
    2 x Double Colorless Energy

I have tested this deck with various different counts of cards. I did like having 2 Super Rods in the deck at times, but over all I think 1 covered what I needed as far as recycle goes. I could see myself wanting another Skyarrow Bridge, but there really isn't a card I'd want to take out in my current list for another one. I also wouldn't mind a second Tool Scrapper, but also am not sure what to cut for it. I tested a lot without DCE entirely but it has helped out a whole lot, especially with Bouffalant and it even works very nicely for an attachment to Genesect EX then discarding it for G Booster. The 1 of Plasma ball is nice for getting out Genesect EX easily. My favorite part about running Bouffalant with silver bangle is that when playing against 170 hp EX's The 20 bench snipe that Genesect EX does actually does the perfect amount of damage. To me this seems to be the only way to really make 20 benched damage work. After hitting a 170 hp EX on the bench for 20, you can then bring up Bouffalant to hit for 150, which will in turn KO for an easy 2 prize swing. Bouffalant is also your best counter for Victini EX which is what I personally think this decks biggest fear is.

I'm excited to see how well this deck will do at BR's. I am curious to see how much play Latias EX will see, because that card counters this deck entirely, every Pokemon in it has an Ability. It will take very well timed G Boost attacks to beat a deck based around Latias EX.