Tier Discussion (NXD-XY)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by cabd, Feb 9, 2014.

1. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod. Staff Member

This thread replaces the old BLW-on thread for discussing and debating deck tiers.
  2. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

Threads for the new Yvetal decks?
  3. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

If it's just Darkrai/Sableye or Darkrai/Garbodor with some Yveltal thrown in, I don't see a reason for new threads.

We didn't make new threads when people started adding Absol or Keldeo.

A dedicated Yveltal deck could have its own thread if someone decided to make one.
  4. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Like I said in the other thread, I think tdk should be tier 2 as it has seen less play then the yeti (and maybe yeti as tier 1)
  5. baby_mario

Agree that TDK can move down to tier 2.

I think Lugia/Snorlax has probably seen it's time in tier 1 come and go now. I'm not inclined to change it.
  6. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Think Virizion also needs to move down? It hasnt won anything lately and its kinda getting steamrolled. You dont see as much hype now. It only topcutted a few events latelyb
  7. baby_mario

It won one of the four Winter Regionals, so it stays for now.

I'll wait until we see how the new set plays out before I change anything else.
  8. TakezoKensei

TakezoKensei Member

I disagree with the Lugia/Snorlax being tier two. With the addition of Muscle Band, it has reached the capability of OHKO'ing everything in the format, save for Mega Evolutions and taking 3 prizes in the process. It's not even a difficult play to make. From the tournaments I've been to and the plays I've witnessed, the adaptability of Lugia/Snorlax deserves to be Tier 1.
  9. baby_mario

Like I said, everything is on hold until we can assess the impact of XY.

Lugia/Snorlax didn't do spectacularly well at Winter Regionals. No wins, 2 top 4, and a few top 8. Pretty good, but not overwhelming as it was outperformed by Blastoise and Genesect. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I don't feel I'm doing a massive injustice by keeping it in tier 2.
  10. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

The variants I've seen have mostly been just straight Lugia/Deoxys/Thundurus with a Genesect thrown in, and Muscle Band to hit OHKO range.

This is post XY by the way.
  11. TakezoKensei

TakezoKensei Member

Techy variants play Palkia to help against the Blastoise/Rayboar matchup and even Heatran vs the Genesect matchup, all benefit from Deoxys, all can OHKO.
  12. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

B_M never said that it had a terrible Genesect or Blastoise matchup, only that it didn't perform quite as well as either of them. Just because the deck has the ability to OHKO some of the cards in the top decks of the format does not guarantee that the deck itself will become a top deck.
  13. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

If Yeti is really as good as I think it is, I'm going to play it, and I'll win with it - regardless of what tier it is.
    Otaku, pokemonguy and Jimz like this.
  14. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

Tier 1
    Yveltal
    Virizion

Tier 2
    Plasma
    Trevenant
    Fairy

Tier 3
    Dugtrio/Raichu
  15. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

What is the point and purpose of this list? As B_M stated above, XY hasn't necessarily had the opportunity to be in many tournaments in the first place, much less a major tournament that would prove the various strengths of today's decks. You also fail to mention the variants of the decks you mentioned. When you say Plasma, do you mean Yeti, Thundurus/Deoxys/Lugia, some tech'd out version of the deck, or even an Aromatisse variant? When you say Fairy, do you mean straight Fairy, or a Toolbox variant? Does this Trevenant variant you mention include a switching attacker like Palkia EX, or is it just straight Trevenant with a couple other cards? The list isn't even complete (there is a lack of the presence of Darkrai and Blastoise as well as a number of other decks), and there is no explanation behind what you think to be how decks will turn out. What is your reasoning?
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  16. Salamencetrainer34

Dugtrio raichu? Is that a deck? We haven't even seen tournaments yet with this new set, and those that did don't have enough to make new decks. I think Yveltal is definitely tier worthy, but not on its own.
  17. baby_mario

Exactly. It's fine to discuss these things and have an opinion, but in the end the deck isn't any better or worse because of what some random person (in this case me) thinks of it.

I think Lugia/Snorlax is a very good deck. I've chosen to play it myself in the past. Tier 2 does NOT mean 'bad' or 'can't win tournaments'. It just means that there are one or two decks that are probably a bit better.

And I'll say it for one last time: we have just had a new set which looks like it could make a VERY big impact. Before I go changing tiers, I'd like to see some post-XY results. Tournament results. Not league/PTCGO/playtcg/testing with your mates/theorymon.
  18. TakezoKensei

TakezoKensei Member

Fairy/Mewtwo did pretty well at my League Challenge yesterday, managed to place 4th and 6th place out of 20+ people. It plays almost identical to Darkrai/Hydrigon in terms of energy manipulation. I'd expect to see more of it in the future.
  19. Salamencetrainer34

I would expect Fairy/Yveltal more, it has much more power
    Serperior likes this.
  20. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

I wouldn't judge solely off of that that the deck will be widely played. Remember that:

A. New format has not even begun to have its dust settled yet.
    B. League Challenge.
    C. Not everyone has all of their XY cards yet.

So far, the decks that need tiering are:
    Yveltal
    Aromabox
    Xerneas/Aromatisse
    Dugtrio/Raichu/Techs
    Fairy/(Mewtwo or Yveltal)
    Treventant/Accelgor
    Trevenant/Palkia (or other switching attackers)
    Thundurus/Deoxys/Kyurem
    Lugia/Snorlax/Thundurus
    Blastoise
    RRRRAAAAYYYYBBBOOOAAARRRRRR
    Tool Drop
    Genesect
    Empoleon variants
    Ho-Oh Variants
    Darkrai/Garbodor
    Darkrai/Yveltal/Garbodor (yes, I actually separated these)
    Darkrai/Yveltal/Dusknoir
    Flareon/Techs
    Garchomp variants
    Klinklang/Cobalion

I can't particularly THINK of any more. If I am missing anything, go ahead and tell me, but I am unable to remember ANYTHING else.