DP-UL Sablelock (Sableye/Garchomp C)

Discussion in 'Archetypes of the Past' started by Chaostamer, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This was a big secret deck throughout 2010, invented by Stephen Silvestro, and worked on by a number of top players, notably Florida players. It won several events throughout States and Regionals before winning U.S. Nationals 2010, played by Con Le. This is the Nationals-winning list.

---Pokemon (19)---
    4 Sableye SF
    2 Garchomp C SV
    2 Garchomp C LV.X SV
    2 Uxie LA
    1 Uxie LV.X LA
    1 Murkrow SW
    1 Honchkrow SV
    1 Honchkrow G PL
    1 Toxicroak G Promo
    2 Crobat G PL
    1 Unown Q MD
    1 Azelf LA

---T/S/S (29)---
    4 Cyrus’s Conspiracy
    2 Pokémon Collector
    2 Cyrus’s Initiative
    2 Judge
    1 Bebe’s Search
    1 Felicity’s Drawing

4 TGI G-103 Power Spray
    4 TGI G-105 Poké Turn
    3 TGI G-101 Energy Gain
    3 TGI G-109 SP Radar
    1 Aaron’s Collection
    1 Premier Ball
    1 VS. Seeker

---Energy (12)---
    4 Darkness Energy [special]
    4 Double Colorless Energy
    2 Darkness Energy [basic]
    2 Psychic Energy

The primary strength of the deck is Sableye's ability to donk. Powered by a Special Darkness Energy, its Overconfident attack is able to OHKO a number of common Pokémon, including Hoppip, Magikarp, Unown G, Unown Q, and Gastly. This allows Sablelock to usually get a cheap win or two per tournament, and failing the donk, Overconfident still enables the deck to take a couple cheap prizes while other decks are setting up. The other defining aspect of the deck is its disruption. Cyrus's Initiative and Judge both have the power to greatly restrict the opponent's options, and due to Sableye's Overeager Poké-Body (allowing the player starting with Sableye to go first) and its Impersonate attack (using any Supporter from the deck), these Supporters can come into play before the opponent even draws their first card. A lot of games can be stolen just by a key Initiative stripping the opponent's hand of their Pokémon Collector.

Garchomp C is a key attacker, using its Dragon Rush to snipe Pokémon on the Bench, either taking cheap prizes, or disrupting the opponent's setup. Honchkrow SV has great synergy with Dragon Rush, since its Darkness Restore Poké-Power allows you to return discarded Pokémon to the opponent's Bench, setting up more easy knockouts for Garchomp C. The Power has trickier uses too. Clogging up an opponent's Bench is always useful, and Darkness Restore can be used to return Pokémon like Uxie LA and Crobat G to the bench, depriving the opponent of the ability to return them to the deck (via Night Maintenance or Palmer's Contribution) and reuse their Poké-Powers. It's also very strong against Gyarados, returning Magikarp to the field and cutting Gyarados' power.

The deck makes use of the SP Engine. The most notable aspect is the fourth copy of Power Spray, which is key to slow the opponent's setup. The single copy of Felicity's Drawing is there to give the deck some extra draw power, and it's useful for discarding extra copies of Sableye as the game draws on.

Some variants of the deck ran cards like Giratina PL 9 and Chatot G to further restrict the opponent's access to cards. I'd be interested to hear of other techs that players have had success with.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

My brother top 4'd UK Nats with Sablelock. He played the Chatot G and also a 1-1 Blaziken FB, mainly as a Dialga counter.
  3. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

Yeah, Sablelock didn't like Dialga G
  4. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

This is my terrible list that I run. I mainly played for fun back then so feel free to cringe

21 Pokemon
    3 Sableye SF
    2 Garchomp C SV
    2 Garchomp C LV.X SV
    2 Luxray G SV
    2 Luxray G LV.X SV
    2 Uxie LA
    1 Uxie LV.X LA
    1 Murkrow SW
    1 Honchkrow SV
    1 Honchkrow G PL
    2 Crobat G PL
    1 Unown Q MD
    1 Uxie LA

---T/S/S (27)---
    4 Cyrus’s Conspiracy
    2 Pokémon Collector
    2 Cyrus’s Initiative
    2 Judge
    1 Bebe’s Search
    1 Felicity’s Drawing

4 TGI G-103 Power Spray
    4 TGI G-105 Poké Turn
    3 TGI G-101 Energy Gain
    2 TGI G-109 SP Radar
    1 Aaron’s Collection
    1 Luxury Ball

---Energy (12)---
    4 Darkness Energy [special]
    4 Double Colorless Energy
    2 Darkness Energy [basic]
    2 Lightning Energy
  5. PokemonGeek

This was so broken when it was MD-BLW.
  6. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

I think you are confusing Sablelock with Sabledonk.

Sablelock was a top tier deck in MD-CL.

Sabledonk was the MD-BLW deck - a stupid broken deck that only existed for one set of Battle Roads in the US before it forced TPCi into an early rotation.
    hfechhelm, Floral and Professor_N like this.
  7. PokemonGeek

Oh ok. I'm humbled.
  8. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

You say it like those are two different things, baby_mario. ;)

Teasing aside, I didn't have a high opinion of the format in question though I know of course that you did enjoy it. I barely played it, between outside pressures and just not enjoying the mechanics and metagame of the time.