Offensive Darkrai (Darkrai EX/Chandelure)

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by MixPert, Oct 2, 2012.

1. MixPert

MixPert Froslass Fetish

Pokemon - 15

3 Darkrai EX
    4 Litwick BWP 27
    2 Lampent NVI
    4 Chandelure NVI
    2 Sableye DEX

I/S/S - 33

4 N
    3 Professor Juniper
    4 Bianca

4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Dark Patch
    2 Super Rod
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Max Potion
    3 Dark Claw

Energy - 12

12 Darkness Energy

The goal of this deck is to set up Darkrai for offense. Litwick can search out other Litwick or Darkrai. Chandelure provides offense off the Bench and Darkrai hits for 110 with Dark Claw. Sableye gets back Dark Patches. If there is any suggestion, do leave it below. Thanks.
  2. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

When you say "Chandelure provides offense off the bench", do you mean that it deals damage from the bench? Because Chandelure has to be in the active position to use it's ability, and most Darkrai-Chandelure Decks run a lot of Switch to make sure you use both Darkrai and Chandelure.
  3. TechnoLegend

TechnoLegend Active Member

for dark patch to work, you need darkness in the discard.

I would suggest adding 1-2 more ultra ball or try to keep it even with however many dark patches you run.
    Add another juniper, and atleast 2 Random receiver if your already running Sableye, try toi have 12 supporters (including random receiver)

I know you have Darkrai for free retreat, but Switch lets you do 160 a trun if you have 2 Chandelure and a darkrai EX with a dark claw.
  4. Zarco

Zarco Alternate format enthusiast

I run a similar deck. 4 switch is core to the deck, as is the option of Tropical Beach. I haven't seen a problem with 1 Sableye being that Promo Litwick is fairly great. I don't know how important Max Potion and Dark Claw are (and tool scrapper to some extent). Lampent NVI is a big tool here as well, so I'd deem the 4th catcher a luxury rather than necessary.
  5. MixPert

MixPert Froslass Fetish

Sorry for not clarifying this but it pseudo-does so as you have darkness energy on Chandelure to retreat for free. I admit I may need switch. This means you rotate Chandelure in and out. As for dark patch it is a simple safety measure against Hammers aod with Ultra )Ball. All ideas will be taken into consideration. Thanks!
  6. Zarco

Yeah, we know why Darkrai's there. But 4 Switch (on top of freetreat) is much more consistent and viable than setting up a line of Vanilluxe.
  7. StrongRhino

StrongRhino 6P fantasy football champ 2013!

Sablye is DEX, not DRX
  8. Charranitar

Charranitar Well-Known Member

There will be a front page article posted to the front page about this deck at 9 am tomorrow.
  9. MixPert

MixPert Froslass Fetish

My bad. Will get it fixed.
  10. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Mr_Rumpleteezer Hovercat Mod Staff Member

Check out Andrew's list on the front page; it should help! But the important thing is that you need 4 Switch.
    Charranitar likes this.
  11. MixPert

MixPert Froslass Fetish

Okay, revised deck list (also changed the Litwick card name):

Pokemon - 15

3 Darkrai EX
    4 Litwick BLW Promo BW27
    2 Lampent NVI
    4 Chandelure NVI (or NXD 101, it looks nicer admittedly)
    2 Sableye DEX

I/S/S - 34

4 N
    3 Professor Juniper
    4 Bianca

4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Dark Patch
    4 Switch
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Max Potion
    2 Dark Claw
    1 Super Rod

Energy - 11

11 Darkness Energy

Any more suggestions? Keep them coming, I love it.
  12. InfinityMinusOne

I actually am really intrigued by this deck. If it weren't for the myriad of amazing and fun combinations coming out in Boundaries Crossed, I might have tried this deck out as at least a Leaue/fun deck. As for the list, I think you're pretty much set, except for maybe a tweak or two more. You have Lampent NVI, so 4 Catcher is more of a luxury than a staple in this deck, while you slightly lack pokemon search (as in 1-2 Ultra Ball. Nothing big), and I tend to think that Random Receiver is always a good add-in for any deck that runs Sableye. I would remove a Catcher, a Supporter, and maybe one other card (I can't really find room right now) to add in another Ultra Ball and 2 Random Receiver.
    superw8 likes this.
  13. MixPert

MixPert Froslass Fetish

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll test it out and see what happens. I don't actually like Random Receiver though, in other decks I've played it's always drawn into the wrong Supporter. Let's hope it works out well.
  14. InfinityMinusOne

I know what you mean--I have had a bad Random Receiver or two, but I find that having a few of those is better than the possibility of being stuck not able to use a Draw Supporter during your turn. Regardless, your supporter count is good enough with the number of supporters you have. I just like to have aRandom Receiver in my discard for Sableye to retrieve, just so I can Junk Hunt for a guaranteed supporter on my net turn (provided N doesn't come along and rain on your parade).
  15. Zarco

My list for this deck is:
    3 Darkrai
    4-2-4 Chandy (with the aforementioned pre-evos)
    1 Sableye

4 Juniper
    4 N
    4 Cheren

3 Catcher
    4 Switch
    2 Super Rod
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    4 Rare Candy

2 Tropical Beach

10 Dark

I based the deck to a small degree on Hydreigon, looking at my Pokemon search count. I could probably drop 1-3 Cherens for RRs, we'll see. The deck works well, and is pretty fun to play too. Unfortunately the Darkrai Matchup is really tough.
  16. Charranitar

Charranitar Well-Known Member

I haven't dropped a game to any Darkrai variant with this deck yet. Beat Darkrai/Tornadus and DMT at nats, and Hydreigon/Darkrai and Darkrai/Terrakion/Hammers at battle roads. I think Hydreigon is t a good matchup, but regular Darkrai decks seem like a good matchup to me.
  17. Zarco

Hydreigon is both a blessing, in that you can deny Deinos fairly well and use them for easy prizes, and a curse, in that if it ever gets set up you're screwed.
  18. A7XEric

A7XEric Member

No switch? The reason this deck is so good is because you can cursed shadow, retreat then cursed shadow again, and then switch into darkrai to night spear.
  19. MixPert

MixPert Froslass Fetish

After some testing, I've confirmed that the Random Receiver does provide some help... to an extent. I shouldn't have overlooked Switch in the original list, it pays not to have it.
  20. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

How does this deck fare against Eel variants?