Rogue Ninetales DRX, Munna BCR, Keldeo EX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by snscompt1, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Luigi

Luigi Formerly Zitro

This is the route I'd consider. Victini is the bane of Virizion/Genesect and it isn't a half bad starter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  2. Dr_BrownGravy89

Dr_BrownGravy89 New Member

I've been play testing this deck for the last year and I've been pretty successful so far but I use a completely different strategy for mine.

Here's my list
    4-4 ninetails drx
    3-3 amoongus nxd
    3-3 roserade drx

4 juniper
    4 skyla
    3 n

4 level ball
    4 hypno toxic laser
    3 devolution spray
    3 silver bangle
    2 virbank city
    1 super rod
    1 switch
    1 scoop up cyclone

6 fire energy
    4 blend (fire/leaf)

The strategy with this list is to use amoongus to evolve and confuse and poison their active Pokemon and attack with ninetails. If virbank is out and ninetails has bangle it OTKs EX's. Roserade is there to deck search when you need something specific. You asp have lasers to fall back on if needed. Also with catcher getting nerfed ninetails is amazing.
    Use devolution sprays to get multiple uses out of amoongus, ninetails and roserade.
  3. Garchomponite

Garchomponite Member

I have been testing the same thing actually witb amoongus and roserade. Its nice. I have been contemplating a soft line of vileplume to x4 weakness for the Virizion matchups.

As far as the garbodor recommendation goes, wouldn't it make this deck worthless shutting off all of your abilities? No rush in, no long distance, no bright look. Sounds bad to me and it slows the deck down.
  4. alexdemian

alexdemian Tsuruchi Areksu

Speaking of alternate versions, i've been working on something different for this deck as well. My idea was: since the only reason we had to run Keldeo here was to offset munna bad flips, why use Virizion + blend straight away? As such, we got some extra slots from the floats, that i decided to use for silver mirrors (to buy some extra time against VirGen). Also, since there is access to grass energy, why not another attacker to help against blastoise?

Pokemon-14
    4-4 Ninetales DEX
    2 Munna
    1 Musharna
    1 Mr.Mime
    1 Virizion Ex
    1 Shaymin ex

Supporters-14
    4 Jupiper
    4 N
    4 Skyla
    2 Shadow Triad

Trainer-24
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Silver Bangle
    2 Silver Mirror
    2 Super Rod
    4 Level Ball
    2 Ultra Ball
    1 Escape rope
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Energy Search
    1 Dowsing Machine

2 Virbank City Gym

Energy-8

3 Fire Energy
    1 Grass
    4 Blend GRPD

Maybe the shaymin is just too greedy and it should be a 2nd virizion or even a victini ex (+ victory piece).
  5. areuter

areuter Member

Don't mean to be a hater but DEX is Dark Explorers, and DRX is Dragons Exalted
  6. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

That's not being a hater that's helping someone know the correct abbreviations.
  7. Garchomponite

Garchomponite Member

Pokemon: 17

4 Vulpix
    4 Ninetales (2 DRX 2 LTR)
    3 Foongus
    3 Amongus
    2 Sableye
    1 Latias EX

Trainers: 33

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Colress
    2 Skyla

3 Virbank City Gym

2 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Devolution Spray
    4 Silver Bangle
    3 Level Ball
    1 Ultra Ball
    2 Energy Switch
    1 Energy Search
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy: 10

4 Blend DGFP
    6 Fire Energy
  8. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

I would use a three/one spilt on the Ninetails, 2 of them will be dead in most matchups, I would rather use Victini EX as a counter.
  9. Tax_collecter

New list I just made up
    4-4 Ninetails
    2-1 Musharna (Long Distance)
    2 Keldeo EX
    1-1 Garbodar (60 HP pound)
    1 Jirachi EX

4 Juniper
    3 N
    3 Colress
    2 Skyla
    1 Shadow Triad

4 Level Ball
    3 Ultra Ball
    4 Laser
    3 Bangle
    3 Float Stone
    2 Super Rod
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Dowsing
    3 Virbank

7 Fire
    darkslayer likes this.
  10. shong

shong Member

I was actually thinking about starting a Ninetales thread today since I didn't notice one on page 1/2. I dismantled my Munna list a couple weeks ago, here's what I've been running. I just changed it -1 Reshiram PLF/Ultra Ball +1 Zekrom NXD/Kyurem EX PLB. The list has been running relatively well but I feel like there's definitely room for improvement in my Pokemon, Trainer and Energy lines. Mr. Mime was marginally useful, Sawk sucked, Reshiram is surprisingly nice which is why I'm testing out Zekrom/Kyurem since all I give up is the very rare Blue Flare. On the trainers, switching to Silver Bangle lets Raichu hit the magic number at only 3 benched Pokemon and lets Ninetales bump it up to 180 but I'm not certain it's the right play (in Raichu/Dugtrio I'm running 2/2/2 Float/Muscle/Bangle but I have 0 EXs). I feel good about the supporters, not really sure about my Ball count, the Professor's Letter or Dowsing Machine vs Computer Search. 4/4 energy felt like too few, 5/4 often feels unnecessary but sometimes it lets me do an oddball Blue Flare, pump up Mewtwo EX a little more or just take 2 turns to load up a Raichu.

Pokemon: 17
    3-3 Ninetales
    3-3 Raichu
    1 Reshiram PLF
    1 Zekrom NXD 50
    1 Kyurem EX PLB
    1 Mewtwo EX
    1 Jirachi EX

Trainer: 34
    4 Professor Juniper
    3 N
    3 Colress
    3 Skyla

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Level Ball
    1 Ultra Ball
    2 Switch
    2 Tool Scrapper
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Virbank City Gym
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Super Rod
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy: 9
    5 Fire Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy
  11. Professor_N

I really don't get that list. Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, and Mewtwo shouldn't be included in this deck. The focus of this deck is to max out your damage with Ninetales to either sweep your opponent by gusting his important stuff or keeping a favorable prize trade. Without having 2 Special Conditions (usually Poison and Sleep) on your opponent's active Pokemon, there is no way you are hitting for 180 like you should be on the opposing EXs (20 base damage + 50 + 50 + 30 Bangle + 30 LaserBank = 180). You really do need Munna for a better chance on hitting heads on a sleep flip. Then you need Keldeo EX to wake your own Active up when you inevitably flip a couple tails on Long-Distance Hypnosis.
  12. Tax_collecter

He's playing a list similar to the Michigan winning list, I still prefer the Munna list over this one.
  13. themiraclemeat

themiraclemeat Active Member

I would consider using a 1-1 Amoonguss line instead or Garbodor, cause Garbodor stops Ninetales from using Bright Look, Jirachi EX from doing anything and Keldeo EX from Rushing In. Or adding another munna too would be beneficial.
  14. themiraclemeat

I might be wrong about this, but if you use (in the active) Virizon EX with blend energy or grass energy attached to avoid the bad Munna sleep flips, then how do you retreat the virizon EX? pay the discard cost? and then you still have to attach an energy to ninetales to attack. rely on the ONE escape rope? or even if you have Ninetales in the active you have to attach a useless grass energy to it to avoid the bad Munna sleep flips. I just dont understand how Virizon EX helps this deck. Keldeo EX with float stones sounds alot better.
  15. Professor_N

Virizion doesn't only give Verdant Wind to itself. Blend on Ninetales and it can't be put to Sleep.

Keldeo EX is better though.
  16. themiraclemeat

Pokemon - 14
    4-4 Ninetales
    3-1 Munna/Mushwarn
    2 Keldeo EX

Trainers - 37
    Supporters - 13
    4 Junpier
    4 N
    2 Colorless
    2 Shauna
    1 Shadow Triad

Tools - 9
    3 Float Stone
    3 Silver Bangle
    3 Silver Mirror

4 Hypnotoxic
    3 Virbank

4 Level Ball
    2 Ultra Ball

1 super rod
    1 tool scrapper

Dowsing Machine

8 fire energy

Any Suggestions? Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1397761945][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Ah ok that was what I was missing, thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  17. ShinyEevee

ShinyEevee The not so shiny

Thinking about taking this to league tomorrow. I'm torn between this deck or an unusual take on Gourgeist.

Pokemon 15
    4-4 Ninetales
    2 Munna
    2-2 Amoonguss
    1 Mr. mime

Supporters 14
    4 N
    4 Juniper
    2 Colress
    3 Skyla
    1 shadow Triad

Ace Spec
    Dousing Machine

Items 21
    2 Bangle
    4 Hypnotoxic laser
    2 Devolution spray
    4 Level ball
    2 Ultra ball
    1 Tool scrapper
    2 Switch
    2 Float stone
    2 Super rod

Stadium 2
    2 Virbank

Energy 7
  18. Professor_N

Take out a Devolution Spray, 2 Switches for 2 Keldeo EX and a Float Stone. You don't want to put yourself to sleep with Munna.
  19. shong

shong Member

Been playing a Munna list again recently instead of the one with the Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyurem that I posted above. They both seem to perform pretty well but I think I prefer using Munna as it makes the deck a fair bit more aggressive. My paper and ptcgo builds are slightly different since I only own 3 Ninetales (I think I have +1 Musharna/Switch in paper compared to this one I'm running on ptcgo). I'm thinking about doing something like -1/1 on the Raichu line, adding Victini EX, switching the ace spec to Victory Piece and filling in the extra space with another Ultra Ball or Switch. Virizion is rough if they're smart enough to only plop stuff down when it will have a Grass attached that turn. That said, Computer Search for DCE or something vital or Dowsing Machine to give us an additional Laser are both pretty clutch as well.

Pokemon: 18
    4-4 Ninetales
    3-3 Raichu
    2 Munna
    1 Keldeo EX
    1 Jirachi EX

Trainer: 34
    4 Professor Juniper
    3 N
    3 Colress
    3 Skyla

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Level Ball
    1 Ultra Ball
    3 Silver Bangle
    2 Float Stone
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Switch
    1 Super Rod
    1 Computer Search
    2 Virbank City Gym

Energy: 8
    4 Double Colorless Energy
    4 Fire Energy
  20. themiraclemeat

I recently updated my list:

Pokemon - 14
    4-4 Ninetales
    3-1 Munna/Mushwarn
    2 Keldeo EX

Trainers - 37
    Supporters - 13
    4 Junpier
    4 N
    2 Colorless
    2 Shauna
    1 Shadow Triad

Tools - 9
    3 Float Stone
    3 Silver Bangle
    3 Silver Mirror

4 Hypnotoxic
    3 Virbank

4 Level Ball
    2 3 Ultra Ball

1 2 super rod
    1 tool scrapper
    1 professor's letter

Dowsing Machine

8 fire energy

Some Notes:
    I dunno why I originally used silver mirror, but I found it to be useless.
    I nearly deck out almost every game, which to me is a good sign of a well built deck.
    Overall I get good results with this deck, most opponents are surprised by this deck.
    Don't be afraid of coin flips, be aggressive. 50/50 is just that, 50/50.
    Sometimes I question whether to use my supporter first or use Mushwarn's ability first. Because the supporters refresh your hand, in general, if I have the supporter I want I use it first, if not I use Mushwarn's ability first in hopes that I get the supporter (or a supporter, if I don't have one) I want.
    Also using Mushwarn's ability in combination with level balls/ultra balls can be tricky at times. Basically it boils down to what cards you need and what cards you have.
    I also question which is better, using long distance hypno first or using the laser first. I usually use the laser first, but in hindsight I should prob use long distance first. Both sleep conditions require a coin flip, but only one of those requires me to discard a card.
    I recently added the professor's letter and with ultra ball it's sweet, but I could just as well have 9 energy instead.