Miltank + Stage 2s

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by TheMantyke, May 10, 2014.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

Ok, well what you do is look at the function in the deck.

Greninja - there for the Ability. The more you have the better, so 4-1-4 or 4-2-4

Miltank - your main attacker so 3-4, with a preference for 4

Delphox - you only need one on the Bench for consistency purposes so 1-0-1 or 2-0-2 if you're worried about Prizes.
    Otaku likes this.
  2. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

How weel do you think Greninja Ex would fit in this deck?? 120 + 2 Greninja on the bench and you'll reach the magic 180 damage!
  3. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Not well at all. Greninja EX is useless in this deck, and it's just not a good card. 30 damage and nothing more for an Energy that takes up an attack simply is not good anymore.
  4. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

You wouldn't want to use it for that, if at all. What Greninja EX does do well in the deck is take bench prizes.

If you see a raichu/pikachu and benched and you rather deal with their active next turn then get hit by that, you double shuriken and crackshot for it.

It can take an already near KO prize from the bench so you can shuriken other things and needs to be hit twice by everything save Genesect and Shiftry for a KO. The only issue is that you are going to need to control your prize trade. He will take a hit by nature of what he is doing for your deck, you'd have to consider potions of some for and that's just not worth it.
  5. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I have to agree... it might be useful sometimes but it's just not worth it. Let's forget about it!!

What do you guys think is the best partner for Miltank?? Greninja or Empoleon?? Would you also recommend running a 1-0-1 Dusknoir line with Greninja??
  6. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Greninja by far. Just 2 shurikens to the active, use Milktanks move (Powerful friends I think) and you KO the 170 HP EX. If its 180... Then I dont know what to do TBH. Dusknoir doesn't seem needed as you OHKO anyhow
  7. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

I am not sure... because its a bit misleading. I assumed Empoleon would be fine without Dusknoir, and everyone has told me I am wrong: having actually used a Miltank deck with a different Stage 2 on the PTCGO, I understand now; Miltank needs too much help for a 2HKO to really be consistent, while Empoleon is too "expensive" to lose and of course your opponent might be able to manipulate his/her own Bench size as well.

Empoleon with Dusknoir seems to be the superior deck in that by "investing" more, you're getting more. Greninja so far is working solo, or at least lacks a "dedicate" partner for the deck (besides Miltank, of course). You're investing less into your Pokémon portion of the deck, but you get "more" out of it. Diving Draw is great, as is Attack Command, but Water Shuriken likely more valuable because of what it enables.

Greninja shouldn't need Dusknoir; I could of course be mistaken but here is my reasoning: Dusknoir is about moving damage counters around to avoid waste while increasing OHKOs/2HKOs, as well as to target things on the Bench that would otherwise be hiding behind meat-shields. Water Shuriken means Greninja already has that covered, with at most 2 damage counters worth of "waste".
  8. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I was ecpecting answers like these and after a few games I have to admit that Greninja seems the most reliable partner for Miltank. I thought about Dusknoir for a more techy approach but It's just too much because the set up is already slow and adding one more Stage 2 without beaches will just make the deck clunky and inconsistent. Besides that, what would you guys do to make Miltank reach the magic number 180? Assuming there's no way to get a third Greninja on my bench!!
  9. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

@Gymmy91

This may sound naive, but are you certain you need to worry about such a thing?

I realize that getting out three Greninja is difficult, as is having the Energy you need to constantly Water Shuriken plus attack with Miltank. Regardless, you are probably better off finding a way to shore up your deck and get to that set-up more quickly, and set your Bench mark as scoring that sweet OHKO just once per game, with twice being "good" and doing it thrice for the win being "great".

Otherwise, I suppose you could toy with the Hypnobank combo being worked in there. >.>
  10. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

When you get 2 Greninja out, You are fine. If you get three. You won. Greninja needs some turns to get the clock set, but when it works- it works.

You win fast. The deck is has so much comeback strength, you can be down 3 prizes with No Miltanks and 3 Greninja- Super rod the back and play a card to get one- you are taking a prize every turn no matter what. You can get N'd to 1 with delphox benched and your opponent would just have to scoop.
  11. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

How does the Greninja version fare against Garbodor? I presume a high Scrapper/Megaphone count with a few Scrapper/Lysandre for good measure are needed?
  12. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

2 megaphone and a dowsing machine. The way I find is the best to play it is Lysandre and KO Garb with Powerful Frinds when possible. If that's not an option, save the megaphones for turns when you can definitely use 2 or 3 water Shruikens to really push for a KO on an Yveltal or Darkrai
  13. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

Hi Guys, I've been trying the deck a lot during the last few days against my friend and I was able to lose just once!! I believe my friend's Yveltal deck wasn't running that good, anyway I manage to beat him everytime!
    This is the list:
    4-2-4 Greninja
    4 Miltank
    1-1 Electrode

4 N
    3 Juniper
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Super rod
    4 energy retrieval
    2 Startling Megaphone
    2 Muscle band
    1 Silver Bangle
    3 Ultra ball
    3 Level Ball
    2 Prof letter
    1 Dowsing Machine

8 Water energies

I just wanted to add Exeggcute in one copy because most of the time I have to discard for Ultra ball or Dowsing Machine I simply don't know which cards to discard!! What would you swap for it?? Also, how well would a Sigilyph fit in the deck (one copy)?
  14. Ein

Ein The Mega Man Master

Greninja EX could have had a spot in some of the earlier Greninja decks in NXD-XY. This format is where I believe Japan got him. Besides the Greninja/Kingdra deck, there was also Greninja/Kyurem/Keldeo. Greninja EX could have worked in this version. The deck needed a cheap attacker, was already dealing with building up bench damage, and Greninja EX offered that magic number of 120 in an attack (requiring 2 shurikens for nearly any KO). Now Miltank completely outclasses him. In fact Miltank nearly outclasses all of Greninjas possible partners to the point the Greninja archetype is Greninja/Miltank.
  15. Professor_N

Very well. Getting an extra turn or two to just sit back and Water Shuriken is huge. Even just to help you set up an extra Greninja or two, it's really nice.
  16. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

Wouldn't Suicune make more sense? Same effect, 10 more HP, and the option to power it up to attack on the off chance you are stuck with it. Of course Sigi can be searched out by Level Ball which is a consideration.
  17. Professor_N

Sigilyph can be searched by a Level Ball which you should be playing 4 of and it has 1 less retreat cost.
  18. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

Thanks for the answers, what do you think about the list?? Any suggestion??
  19. Professor_N

Try to get 4 Level Ball instead of 3.
  20. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I have 4 level balls but what do I swap for one more of them?