Miltank + Stage 2s

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by TheMantyke, May 10, 2014.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

Beach will likely rotate out of the format in September so there is no point in buying them now anyway.

You don't need another attacker. Just keep spamming Miltank. Nothing else is so efficient.
  2. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

Alright, thanks a lot!! Two more questions (one maybe off topic!): what do you think bout Exeggcute for the deck?? And what do you think are the most competitive rogue decks right now?? I already own a Weavile/exeggcute deck but I guess Miltank is simply stronger!!
  3. baby_mario

Exeggcute is good in Empoleon, but not necessary in Greninja. Maybe if you run Superior Energy Retrieval, but I would use the regular version instead.

I wouldn't call Miltank/Stage 2 a rogue, nor Weavile/Exeggcute.
  4. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

baby_ mario is very restrictive on what he labels "rogue", but its a "good" restrictive. ;) About the only way for an established deck to qualify is if something has also disqualified it from being considered competitive; either recently or a while ago without any signs of contradiction. Early adopters of a deck are usually the only one's that can lay claim to it, though I suppose if you are playing in an isolated enough metagame, a Miltank deck using one of the established partners might still qualify.
  5. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I was thinking of running the superior energy retrievel and that's why 2 exeggcute would have been helpful. Do you think the regular one is enough to ricicle all the energies needes??

I was wrong in defying the two decks as rogue but what I mean is besides Miltank, is there any other low tier deck oyu think would be competitive or strong enough to see play at some tournaments?? (I said Miltank is stronger than Weavile.. don't you think so?)
  6. baby_mario

I've found that 4 Retrieval and 2-3 Super Rod is enough. If you want to use Superior, then 1 Exeggcute is enough.

All sorts of things see play at tournaments (including theme decks), but there's a reason players consider them to be 'low tier': they aren't as strong or as competitive as the things that are considered higher. Personally, I think Miltank/Enpoleon and Miltank/Greninja can be properly competitive decks, and yes, they are both much better than Weavile.
  7. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

Thank again for being so kind and helpful with your answers!! This is the list just made, I think there's still quite a few things to change but I did it in 5 minutes:

4-2-4 Greninja
    4 Miltank
    1-1 Electrode
    1 Exeggcute

4 N
    4 Juniper
    2 Skyla
    2 Colress
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Super rod
    4 Sup energy retrieval
    2 Startling Megaphone
    2 Muscle band
    1 Silver Bangle
    3 Ultra ball
    3 Level Ball
    2 Prof letter
    1 Dowsing Machine

8 Water energies

Any suggestion?? I was also wondering about putting a 2-2 Leafeon line since it attacks for just one colorless energy but I can't find room for it!! Do I need Lysandre or switch??
  8. baby_mario

You should at least try regular Retrieval. Superior needs half your Energy in the discard to perform at maximum efficiency. A lot of the time you will be forced to use it to get back 2-3 Energy.

Drop a Juniper for a Skyla to make finding Candy easier.

You could try 1 Lysandre, but seeing as you spread damage, it isn't so important. Switch or Escape Rope might be worth a single copy, but Greninja retreats cheaply and Miltank just stays there until its KO'd. I don't see the point in Leafeon: it doesn't really add anything to the deck that can't be accomplished with Miltank and Greninja . . . not enough to be worth four spaces anyway.
  9. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I'll do what you suggest because, thinking about the last times I tried the deck, you are totally right and most of the times I find few energies in the discard pile. So I'll go for the 4 Energy retrieval and what about the superior one? Do I remove it at all?
    As regards Skyla, I own only 2 copies of it since I couldn't manage to get more from trades, does it really matter? I could maybe run one more Rare candy. And also, do you think the ball counts is fine?? I saw other lists running more of them!
  10. baby_mario

I didn't notice you only had 3 Candy. Run a 4th. 100%.
    Professor_N likes this.
  11. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

Ok so 4 Candies and what about the rest??
  12. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Honestly I think it's best you swap the SERs for normal Retrievals. With that you can drop the Egg for the 4th Candy, and drop the Juniper for a Skyla like baby mario said.
  13. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I'm going to swap the SER for the regular one for sure but I own only 2 Skyla, would it be a problem?
  14. Professor_N

Skyla is really, really good in this kind of deck. It can grab you the last piece you need to get a Greninja out quickly, or can get you something like a Dowsing Machine or Megaphone, or even an Energy Retrieval.
  15. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I know it works great in this deck but unfortunately I have only 2. What about Random Receiver?? I know it's not the same but...
  16. Professor_N

Random Receiver doesn't make sense. Just play with the 2 for now and try to get one when you can.
  17. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I think I've been lucky for once in my life: I just got a Skyla in a trade with a friend of mine!! Resuming, 4 energy retrieval and no SER and then what do I swap for the Exeggcute??
  18. Rei_Oh

Rei_Oh Chief pokemon hunter

how do you guys manage to hold 2 stage twos in a deck, is there a specific line like 4-1-4 3-3 or something you guys follow?
  19. baby_mario

Depends on what the Stage 2s are and what their function is in the deck.
  20. Rei_Oh

Rei_Oh Chief pokemon hunter

alright here my scenerio
    im trying to run miltank/greninja/delphox together and i cant seem to figure out ratios.
    now im not unfamiliar to deck building and i know the ins and outs of it, but usually i cant get either or out
    i have 4-1-4 greninja and 3-3 delphox with 4 miltank and 4 rare candy
    should i lessen the greninja line or lessen the delphox line
    greninja is to set up water shurikans across the board
    delphox brings consistancy with its ability