Miltank + Stage 2s

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by TheMantyke, May 10, 2014.

1. TheMantyke

TheMantyke CharXzone EX

Flashfire introduced Miltank, a basic Pokemon with the attack Powerful Friends. If you have a Stage 2 Pokemon on the field, the attack does an unheard of efficient 80 for 1 energy. This thread will serve as a place to discuss decks where Miltank is the central method of dealing damage and not where its used as an alternate attacker (ex: Empoleon decks).

Miltank likes having a few specific support based stage 2 Pokemon around. Delphox allows Miltank to access its resources extremely quickly and greatly helps setting up other Stage 2s. Dusknoir alleviates Miltank's biggest problem: Pokemon-EX taking the 80 (100 with Muscle Band) and retreating to the bench. Finally, Greninja gives Miltank a way to pile on damage and set up KOs easier.

The disadvantages of Miltank are fairly obvious. It doesn't enjoy going second since it means getting your evolutions out slower. It relies heavily on the turn 2 stage 2, which thanks to Skyla isn't hard, but very whiffable. Unless you're using Dusknoir or multiple catcher or Lysandre, Miltank's 80 to 100 can be played around fairly easily with healing cards and Pokemon-EX just sponging the hit. Landorus-T heavy decks are also super difficult to play against: A muscle band hammer head OHKOs Miltank.

Here's a sample list I've been playing with for the last day or two. It's by no means perfect, just a result of playtesting and talking with a friend.

Pokemon – 18

4 Miltank FF
    4 Fennekin KSS
    1 Braixen XY
    4 Delphox XY
    2 Duskull FF
    2 Dusknoir BCR
    1 Virizion-EX PB

Trainers – 34

4 Skyla
    4 N
    3 Juniper
    2 Lysandre

4 Rare Candy
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Muscle Band
    3 Switch
    2 Level Ball
    2 Super Rod
    1 Starling Megaphone
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy – 8

8 Grass

4-1-4 Delphox is played to get the Turn 2 as easy as possible, then to blaze through the rest of the deck and access everything you need. From there, you can set up Dusknoir or even More Delphoxes. Just be sure to keep at least 1 bench spot open for your stream of Miltanks.

The supporter count is awfully low, but once Delphox is up, you infrequently need to use a draw supporter. This frees up some space for stuff like Lysandre, which Miltank greatly appreciates. 80 is just a little short of a 2HKO on Pokemon EX, so 4 Muscle Band is extremely helpful to continuously threaten Pokemon-EX.

One of the cooler things about using Miltank as the lone attacker is that your energy line is completely up for grabs and allows you all sorts of neat teching options. I'm particularly fond of having Virizion and Grass to ruin Hypnotoxic Laser. You could add in a Darkrai, switch to Dark, and cut / eliminate your switching card count. Heck, you could even switch to fire, tech in a Blacksmith or two, and use delphox as a situation secondary attacker

Give Miltank a try, it's pretty cowerful!
  2. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

Run a Dusclops still. It will be helpful for when you just can't get to your candy or you run out due discards.
  3. desufnoc

desufnoc Ditto used Transform!

I feel that I always whiff the turn 2 stage 2
  4. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

You can get a turn one Stage 2 if you run Butterfree. Sure it's useless past providing the Stage 2 requirement, but it can make for the fastest Powerful Friends possible.
  5. ThePirateKingAtomsk

You hit for 30/40 with a tool first attack w/o a stage 2. That isn't terrible at all considering The Genie EXs do that for the same energy cost and it puts a fair amount of EX in Shuriken + Attack KO range for the next turn. Don't be discouraged by missing a turn two Stage 2. Just do damage.
  6. Frosty79x

Frosty79x Member

Between Stage 2 Water types and Miltank, Empoleon just keeps getting stronger. Hitting an easy 80 before Muscle Bands and Silver Bangles with a Pokemon that you don't mind getting knocking out next turn is huge. And with Dusknoir your get your KOs exactly where you want them. I'm currently running 1 in my Empoleon list, but I might push it up to 2.
  7. ThePirateKingAtomsk

My friends feel Miltank isn't worth it in Empoleon. Greninja gets a much more needed boost from it than Empoleon and it isn't weak to Thundurus. There is a bonus of Empoleon being able to kill Fires in 1 hit though.
  8. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

Plasma decks are dying because of Pyroar here. Are they not dying there?
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  9. ThePirateKingAtomsk

That sentence doesn't make much sense. Plasma isn't at all dead. it's very strong right now.
  10. Professor_N

He is saying that in his area people are not playing Plasma because of Pyroar.
  11. ThePirateKingAtomsk

Ah. It all ran together without a comma.
  12. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

I'm sorry I was in a hurry when I wrote it fixed it for you. I don't see Plasma working in a Pyroar heavy area. To make it work you have to take out so many important cards for plasma. At least here all the top players that played it are changing decks.
  13. Professor_N

Same here. There are these two brothers here that have over 400 CP that would play only Plasma at every event and Saturday they were playing Dark/Garb and Flareon at the LC.
    Yankeefan1985 likes this.
  14. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

Same here its just too many basics in the deck. With adding the stage ones too many important cards are dropped most lists I' have seen drop like 6 spots.
  15. Frosty79x

Frosty79x Member

I think Miltank is a mainstay in my Empoleon list, it's just too good.
  16. davidryuubryan

davidryuubryan Dark type Gym Leader

Havin butterfree and miktank together this deck is called buttermilk.. a turn one (if u go second ) thats 100 damage w/ muscle band, 110 if u run silver bangle and attack an ex..u ok Victini ex and shaymin ex...any others?[DOUBLEPOST=1399950247][/DOUBLEPOST]I still would add an ex or a heavy hitter that can take a hit..now imu know u will lose miktank so run druddigon ff. Even if u run normal gym. Thats 120 hp for milmil. But tournados ex dex does great in this deck so does shaymin ex any grass pokemon or normal.
  17. Professor_N

Why are we running Aspertia City Gym if our Miltank is going to be OHKO'd regardless? Suppose it's alright if you are running Tornadus EX, but meh.
  18. TheMantyke

TheMantyke CharXzone EX

Yeah, I completely forgot about Butterfree. I guess it's another option for pure speed with Miltank.

While this thread really is more about discussion where the Stage 2 isn't the main attacker so this is a mostly tangential note, I've been playing Empoleon with Miltank and I actually really enjoy it. It's very nice having a secondary attacker with damage independant of bench size as well as an attacker that won't leave you with one fewer diving draws should it get revenge killed. Adding it in also does nothing to the energy line and takes up very little space, which is pretty sweet.

Pyroar is actually a bit of a problem. My initial plan was to target down things on the bench with Lyandre and get off some powerful friends damage to damage swap round, but that doesn't work very fluently at all. Running a Greninja line is something since it layers on damage for miltank and can attack (albeit without weakness), you'll just need to dedicate extra space to professor's letter, a larger energy line, and a few energy retrieval.
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  19. davidryuubryan

davidryuubryan Dark type Gym Leader

miktank can kill litleo fast but if they have a second litleo on bench and pyroar in hand then milmil is dead in the water and butterfree is dead OHKO with pyroar. no need to discard.
  20. RTK

RTK New Member

Butterfree is weak to lightning.