DP-UL Gyarados

Discussion in 'Archetypes of the Past' started by Adam, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit. Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll start things off with my Gyarados list from Nationals 2010 which I felt was very solid.

Pokemon – 21
    4 Sableye SF
    4 Magikarp SF
    4 Gyarados SF
    3 Crobat G PL
    1 Combee SF
    1 Lunatone GE
    1 Solrock SV
    1 Azelf LA
    1 Unown Q MD
    1 Regice LA

Trainers – 33
    4 Felicity’s Drawing
    4 Pokemon Collector
    2 Bebe’s Search
    1 Luxury Ball
    1 Pokemon Communication
    1 Cynthia’s Feelings
    1 VS Seeker
    4 Broken Time-Space
    4 Pokemon Rescue
    4 Super Scoop Up
    4 TGI Poke Turn
    3 Expert Belt

Energy – 6
    4 Cyclone
    2 Warp

(Source)

Regice could be removed for either Roseanne’s Research, PlusPower, or maybe Crobat G.

The strategy of the deck was to discard 3 Magikarps, predominantly with the help of Felicity's Drawing, and then attack with Gyarados for 90 damage with 0 Energy. Sableye was your ideal starter to Impersonate a Felicity's. The deck tried to hit hard and score OHKOs, hence the abundance of Crobat G, Poke Turn, and Expert Belt to augment damage output.

Cyclone Energy was important for scoring easy KOs. Lunatone/Solrock helped with consistency. The rest should be self-explanatory.

I felt the deck had good matchups across the board, though LuxChomp was most difficult (especially if they played Department Store Girl, Expert Belt, and Lucario GL). Any deck focused on Mr. Mime MT was a loss.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  2. coolestman22

coolestman22 Now Has Techron

Is this also the thread for MD-on Gyarados, or should there be a new one for that?
  3. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Mr_Rumpleteezer Hovercat Mod Staff Member

Create a new thread.
    Adam likes this.
  4. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Here's what I use:

---Pokémon (22)---
    4 Magikarp SF
    3 Gyarados SF
    4 Sableye SF
    2 Uxie LA
    1 Azelf LA
    1 Mesprit LA
    1 Luxray GL
    1 Luxray GL LV.X
    2 Crobat G
    1 Combee SF
    1 Unown Q
    1 Regice LA

---Trainer/Supporter/Stadium (32)---
    4 Pokémon Collector
    4 Felicity's Drawing
    2 Bebe's Search
    1 Cynthia's Feelings

4 TGI Poké Turn
    4 Super Scoop Up
    4 Pokémon Rescue
    3 Expert Belt
    1 Luxury Ball
    1 VS Seeker

4 Broken Time Space

---Energy (6)---
    3 Warp Energy
    3 Cyclone Energy
  5. desufnoc

desufnoc Ditto used Transform!

One of the best matches I have ever played was against this deck. I was playing vileplume and ttar prime. My opponent had one prize left and I had 3. He was trying to stall for time at the end and I ended up taking three prizes on my last turn.
  6. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Claydol was also played fairly regularly. I think I'll be switching over to this:

---Pokémon (23)---
    4 Magikarp (SF)
    3 Gyarados (SF)
    4 Sableye (SF)
    1 Baltoy (GE)
    1 Claydol (GE)
    1 Uxie (LA)
    1 Azelf (LA)
    1 Mesprit (LA)
    1 Luxray GL
    1 Luxray GL LV.X
    2 Crobat G
    1 Combee (SF)
    1 Unown Q
    1 Regice (LA)

---Trainer/Supporter/Stadium (31)---
    4 Pokémon Collector
    4 Felicity's Drawing
    2 Bebe's Search
    1 Cynthia's Feelings

4 TGI Poké Turn
    4 Super Scoop Up
    4 Pokémon Rescue
    3 Expert Belt
    1 Luxury Ball

4 Broken Time Space

---Energy (6)---
    3 Warp Energy
    3 Cyclone Energy

Another serious tech option is Azelf MT. It's absolutely busted in the SP matchup.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  7. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA ...because I'm Batman.

I'm very intrigued by this deck. I've always collected the cards but never got around to playing competitively until a little before Dragon's Exalted came out. I actually have this Gyarados card that is used in the deck and I've always been fascinated by older formats since I've started playing competitively. Could someone explain to me how this deck works and card choices? I would very much appreciate it!
  8. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

The basic strategy is to dump Magikarps in the discard with Felicity's Drawing (and Lunatone and Regice, depending on the list) so you can use Gyarados' Tail Revenge to do 90 for no Energy. (Yes kids, 90 damage used to be a huge deal). With Expert Belt and Crobat G you could OHKO pretty much anything. You wanted to start with Sableye SF so you could Impersonate for Collector (or rarely Felicity if you had a couple of Karps to spare).

Pokemon Rescue got back Karps when you needed another Gyarados

Combee SF could get back a Karp under Trainer Lock (Vileplume and Spiritomb)

Regice was disruption + discard

Mesprit locked Powers (timed right, it stopped your opponent drawing their way out of trouble with Uxie)

Luxray was for Bright Look. Some people teched Lighting so they could attack with it in mirror.

Toxicroak G promo was played a lot in this deck because it would revenge KO a Luxray.

Was a very good deck in its day. That stupid cheap Shuppet donk thing used to give it fits though.
  9. onlyinAMERICA

Thanks for the explanation! I would like to start playing games in this format and thought I would give this deck a try. Anything I should know when building a deck in this format? I've noticed that older decks were more Pokemon heavy. Why is that and was it just match up specific on what you would bench?
  10. baby_mario

The number of Pokemon in a deck varies with the format. The old Haymaker decks ran relatively few Pokemon, some of the Stage 2 decks from the SP era ran 25+. It depends on a lot of factors: draw/search power, speed of format, what kind of support is available, how important starter Pokemon are etc.

Your 3 big decks from that era were Luxchomp, Gyarados, and Gengar/Nidoqueen (later Gengar/Vileplume). Most matches involved one or more of those decks. Other things like DialgaChomp, Machamp, Shuppet Donk, and Donphan Prime were also important, but most deckbuilding was done with the 'big 3' in mind.
  11. onlyinAMERICA

Oh okay so if there weren't sufficient amounts of support cards in a format one would have to look for support in other ways such as Pokemon like Uxie and Claydol and such?
  12. Tsunami

Tsunami Seems legit.

In @baby_mario 's opinion, if there are no good support pokemon, one has to look in the form of supporters. (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) the big advantage to pokemon is that they can be searched, and can often combo, leaving a player able to draw/search more cards than a single supporter could.
  13. baby_mario

@onlyinAMERICA - The other way around actually.

Uxie and Claydol were fantastic cards. They enabled decks to run consistently throughout a game. With Claydol on your Bench you always had draw. With Uxie you had draw you could search easily. This meant two things:

1. You didn't have to clunk up your deck with 14 draw Supporters so you could play one every turn.
    2. You could run very thin tech lines (1-0-1 Dusknoir DP is a good example) because you knew that you would have reasonable access to it via Uxie/Claydol.

I really miss having a proper deck engine. Decks today just feel so dumb and clumsy in comparison. Supporters used to be primarily search (Roseanne, Collector, Bebe, Celio, Scott, Cyrus's Conspiracy, Castaway etc.), or they enabled some technical tricks and combos (Seeker, Mr Briney, Black Belt, Lucian). If we had non-Supporter draw now, then you might see cards like Cassius and Iris get played.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. onlyinAMERICA

So good Pokemon support is far more superior than the 12+ Supporters we have to shove in our decks? Is that why Delphox makes such a difference in Emboar?
  15. baby_mario

In my opinion it makes for a much more enjoyable game. Decks work more smoothly and there is a better balance between luck and skill.
  16. onlyinAMERICA

Nowadays games are decided on supporter droughts and whatnot but back then the problem was alleviated due to stable support Pokemon am I right? Leading to a much more balanced game.