Gourgiest XY Variants

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SpaceVirus, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Hi guys!

This is a competitive deck thread for all variants of decks based around Gourgeist XY in the NXD-on format. So I've been playing this deck for a while now, and I've posted variants on Deck Help and Development. Many other players have done the same. I think Gourgeist was one of the cards that stuck out to players from XY.

I have had some success with this deck in the past at leagues, and have found a Gourgeist/Dusknoir build works best, streaming Gourgeist with Super Rod and combining both main uses for it: damage spread with Eerie Voice (which puts 2 damage counters on each of your opponents Pokemon for 1 Psychic Energy), and OHKO-ing with Spirit Scream + Hypnotoxic Laser (which puts both active Pokemon down to 10 HP for 2 Psychic Energy, then HTL finishes the job). This results in a deck which does not auto lose to Virizion EX (preventing Poison from HTL, and thus also preventing OHKO-ing) or Garbodor DRX (cancelling Dusknoir's Ability, Sinister Hand, preventing damage manipulation), being able to use either strategy.

The main weaknesses of this deck are Darkrai EX and Yveltal EX (and also pretty much any Dark type that does 50+ damage). So Darkrai/Yveltal/Garbodor is this deck's worst nightmare. For this reason, Startling Megaphone or Tool Scrapper is an absolute necessity to prevent auto loss. Partners for Gourgeist include Mewtwo EX, Chandelure EX, Sigilyph DRX, Toxicroak EX and Raichu XY. All of these are good, in my opinion. Mr Mime PLF is commonly used as well, to protect Dusknoir.

The odds of this deck claiming victory improved slightly as the contents of XY3 - Furious Fists were announced: since Dark Patch and Sableye DEX are likely to go out of format soon, and with the introduction of Lucario EX and all that Fighting support, Darkrai-based decks are likely to decrease in popularity. The new Stadium, Training Center, which gives +30 HP to any Stage 1 or 2 (but NOT Mega Evolutions), means each Gourgeist will be at 130 HP, quite high for a Stage 1, so it will last a little longer in battle. Losses the deck will face next format (predicted to be PLS-on) are losing Level Ball and Super Rod, which are two key cards in this deck. Luckily, we still have Bicycle. Replacement for those cards include Pokemon Fan Club, Sacred Ash and Superior Energy Retrieval/ordinary Energy Retrieval.

Other variants include Gourgeist XY/Garbodor DRX, which focuses on the OHKO-ing side to Gourgeist, Gourgeist XY/Trevenant XY. The Garbodor version negates Virizion EX's Ability, allowing OHKO-ing against any deck. However this variant really needs to be playing against EX's to have a good chance, as pretty much giving up a Gourgeist for only I Prize is not worth doing. The Trevenant variant looks promising so I recommend testing.

So, here is my current build:

4-4 Gourgeist XY
    2-2-2 Dusknoir BCR (The Duskull is from FLF, for his Revival attack-this can be usefulul in some situations e.g. bringing an Exeggcute back to the bench for an easy KO)
    1 Sigilyph DRX
    1 Toxicroak EX
    1 Mr Mime

2 Virbank City Gym (puts a little more damage on the field)

4 Shauna
    3 N
    1 Lysandre

4 Bicycle (I find using 2-2 Switch and Float Stone instead just as good)
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Evosoda
    3 Level Ball
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Professor's Letter
    2 Super Rod
    2 Startling Megaphone
    1 Random Receiver
    1 Dowsing Machine

7 Psychic Energy

I know this deck has room for improvement and any suggestions are welcome! :)

EDIT:
    The official rotation for the 2015 season has been announced. It is BCR-on, Black Star Promos BW51 and higher and XY01 and higher. This means we get to keep Town Map in this deck!
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Here's my BCR-on format list:

4-4 Gourgeist XY
    2-2-2 Dusknoir BCR
    1 Sigilyph LTR
    1 Mr Mime PLF

2 Training Center

4 N
    3 Professor Sycamore
    2 Colress
    1 Lysandre

4 Hypnotoxic Laser