Tier 3 Garchomp DRX 90, Altaria DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

What I'm learning to like about it more is that you don't run EXes (You can choose to. I tried Landy EX) But since you doubt your opponent has to take prizes generally 1 at a time which does give you more time to get going. That's why super rods are handy.

I was playing 2-3 Max potion in the deck but I'm not sure I should anymore. Usually Chomp is getting OHKO'ed so the potion can be a dead card. I'm not sure
  2. ChrisTehAwesome

ChrisTehAwesome New Member

It might be worth looking into running a heavy haxorus build and using the garchomp line mainly to help setup. 40x each metal is not bad when boosted by altaria. Would still be strong against plasma and beat most other non-ex decks
  3. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

I was sitting here and about to disagree with you but I just looked at Haxorus a little more and in ways it's definitely better than straight chomp. It's doing more damage has an auto knock out for Plasma. And if you're not facing plasma you could just go for straight 2hkos. However running two stage twos is very clunky.
  4. Two stage twos would be clunky, even with Gabite and Ultra Balls?
  5. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

This strategy is already pressed for space, so I can't imagine a Haxorus line thicker than 1-0-1 making the fit. Anything more, and you'll probably have to drop Altaria.

On a side note, I tried a deck with Haxorus as its primary attacker, coupled with a 4-3-2 line of Garchomp for a secondary attacker + Dragon Call. It did well vs Plasma (on the games where it set up properly), but the problem is neither of those attackers really do anything to remedy the poor Blastoise matchup these kinds of decks tend to have. For that reason, I ended up settling with Garbodor/Haxorus; Garbodor really helps level the playing field in that matchup.
  6. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

I think I may have to try something tonight now... not exactly that... but you sparked something.
    TylerLindsey likes this.
  7. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

I wasn't sold on Hax at first. Not at all honestly. But thinking more about it made me like it more than Chomp. I wouldn't run it with altarias though like i do with Chomp. Garbodor/Haxorus is a good idea for the blastoise match up.
    TylerLindsey likes this.
  8. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

Yeah, Altaria doesn't go as well with Haxorus as it does with Garchomp, in my experience. For extra damage output against non-Plasma strategies, Silver Bangle is probably where Haxorus wants to be; with Bangle, Haxorus can Dragonaxe for 1 (70) followed by a Dragonaxe for 2 (110) to deal 180, two-shotting every EX threat in the format. Silver Bangle also being able to turn on Garbotoxin in a pinch (although that's not preferable to Float Stone) is just gravy.

On the note of Silver Bangle, it is very possible Garchomp will want to eschew Altaria entirely in favor of Bangles. Mach Cutting for 90 seems like a big game, and the extra space freed up from dropping Altaria can go towards cards that will actually give the deck game against Blastoise (one of it's more difficult matchups, in my opinion). Say, -3 Swablu, -3 Altaria, +4 Silver Bangle, +2 Frozen City, or something similar.
  9. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

but with cities and no altaria. garchomp will just be one hit by other pokemon. 90 a turn form a 140hp stage 2 isnt that great. besides against blastoise 2 altaira and a bangle allows a dragonblade for 170 to KO a keldeo. and mach cut with a bangle is a one hit for black kyurem
  10. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

I am skeptical that the deck has enough space to fit in both Bangles and Altaria; to me it seems like a one-or-the-other type thing. I could definitely be wrong, though.

The fact that a Bangle'd Mach Cut can one shot Black Kyurem EX was an oversight, on my part, and that probably helps the matchup quite a bit in itself. That said, I feel like any smart Blastoise player would know to focus on sweeping with Keldeo against this strategy, which makes the interaction less relevant. Still, with the speculated abundance of Virizion/Genesect out of the gate, many Blastoise players are most likely going to lean towards the more Black Kyurem EX-centric builds, which would put this strategy in a good position.
  11. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

indercarnive TylerLindsey
    For me I feel like Altaria almost holds garchomp back. If your opponent pulls up an Altaria you best believe they're gonna knock it out. And I'm starting to believe it hurts more than it helps.
  12. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

With Bangle being released, I feel like Altaria has become somewhat redundant. Bangle requires no setup, requires less space and adds more to your damage output (than a single Altaria, anyways). As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the math with Bangle actually works out quite nicely. I think it as at least worth trying the switch.
  13. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

the math of altaria and bangle work out really well. 170? bangle and 2 altaria. and with a 4-4 altaria line you can give one or 2 up.
  14. Warizon

Warizon Member

I'm quite fond of this deck, most likely because I started playing when Drx came out and this deck seemed so consistent and powerful that I thought it was the one.. Here is my list (without bangles and Haxorus PLB because I didn't had the time to think about it):

Pokemon: 20
    4-3-4 Garchomp DRX
    3-3 Altaria DRX
    2 Emolga DRX
    1 Mr. Mime PLF

Trainers: 30
    4 Juniper
    3 N
    2 Colress
    3 Skyla

3 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Hypnotoxic Laser
    2 Switch
    3 Level Ball
    2 Rare Candy
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Super Rod
    1 Life Dew
    2 Virbank City Gym

Energy: 10
    6 Fighting Energy
    4 Blend Energy WLFM

Pretty much a standard build, with the only not so usual things being Laserbank to help with the KO's and Mr. Mime to protect the bench vs Darkrai Ex variants and Kyurem PLF.
  15. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

Just drop the Laser/Bank stuff for 3 Bangles, a Candy and something else (probably Super Rod) and you're good to go.

Lasers just aren't worth it any more with Virizion-EX around.
    HighShroomish likes this.
  16. Warizon

Warizon Member

Virizion-Ex will not be in EVERY deck in the format, LaserBank will still be a game changer, just maybe not against VirGen and Darkrai Ex/Hydreigon (to state the most likely to be played). And Super Rod is a must in a Garchomp Altaria deck, to cycle through attackers..
  17. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

Won't be in every deck, no. Will likely be in enough to make playing LaserBank over Bangles a poor choice.

You don't say?

Maybe that's why I suggested running a second one :rolleyes:
  18. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

i agree with baby_m at least with bangles you can hit VirGen and any other deck that plays EX. It just more viable than laserbank
  19. Warizon

Warizon Member

I misunderstood what you said baby_mario, sorry ahah
    I wish I could keep both, but I see the point of using the Bangle to be able to deal with anything
  20. webjefita

webjefita New Member

What about Kangaskhan as the CFF Pokemon? It can even attack in an emergency.