Tier 3 Garchomp DRX 90, Altaria DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

This is the competitive deck thread for Garchomp DRX 90/Altrai DRX. This deck is also known by the common nickname FluffyChomp. The basic Strategy is to start with Emolga DRX and use Call For Family to stream Gibles and Swablus. Level Balls help to get out Altaria's which is used to power up Garchomp's attacks.

Here is a sample decklist:

[Spoiler=Click here to show list]
    Pokemon - 22
    4 Gible DRX 87
    3 Gabite DRX 89
    4 Garchomp DRX 90
    4 Swablu DRX 104
    4 Altaria DRX
    3 Emolga DRX

Trainers - 27
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    4 Skyla

4 Level Ball
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Switch
    4 Rare Candy
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy - 10
    6 Fighting
    4 Blend WLFM

[/spoiler]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  2. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

VictiniCup

Your sample list is missing the Energy, but I've approved it anyway on the assumption you will fix that soon.
  3. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

4. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

No Silver Bangles? This deck is one that really benefits from it, considering it doesn't use EX attackers (in a normal list). While I'm at it, I'll just post my own decklist:

Pokemon (19):
    4 Gible
    3 Gabite
    4 Garchomp
    3 Swablu
    3 Altaria
    2 Emolga

Trainers (31):
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    4 Skyla
    2 Colress

3 Rare Candy
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Level Ball
    2 Switch
    1 Super Rod
    4 Silver Bangle
    1 Life Dew

Energy (10)
    4 Blend Energy WLFM
    6 Fighting Energy

Pretty standard except for the Life Dew... this just helps it keep up with the faster decks in the format. Feel free to give your opinions!
  5. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

I'm, uh, curious why the list in the OP doesn't run Rare Candy?
  6. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

Stupid me.
  7. SamSoldier

SamSoldier Don't know what to put here D:

Awesome list, the only thing that I would do is changing Life Dew for Dowsing Machine =D
  8. Wrags23

I actually based this list off of the Ross Cawthon list that he used at Nats... I know it's gonna be good when a) he makes Top 64 at US Nationals with FluffyChomp and b) it's Ross Cawthon. Enough said. I will, however, want to do some testing with Dowsing Machine because the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Thanks for the advice!
  9. SamSoldier

SamSoldier Don't know what to put here D:

Anyone has a list that plays Haxorus PB 69 ? its a interesting card to say, at least ...
  10. Wrags23

SamSoldier A kid I know has a deck that runs Drifblim DRX/Drifblim PLB, Sawk PLB, and Haxorus. It DESTROYS Plasma but gets crushed by everything else. :p
  11. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

4 level too good. also caitlyn in theory seems really good. specially cause late game you can use dragon call to fill your hand, then caitlyn to draw more cards.
  12. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

Going to start testing this deck to see if it is a viable deck at Battle Roads
  13. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

actually going to league on sunday. i've been messing with this deck for awhile so i'll actually be able to play with it.[DOUBLEPOST=1376929336,1376685522][/DOUBLEPOST]after playing with this deck i'm not sure i'm sold on it. the engine is nice but ultimately not too practical. Emolga does help set up but you're looking at a Stage 2 140 Hp basic. That is more than likely getting one shotted. You're also most likely two shotting everything. And while that does work for some decks (i.e. Darkrai variants) it doesn't work too well with Chomp due to the low HP. However when it's set up you do deal some damage I'm just very concerned it's not fast enough or has high enough HP to last long enough to really get going. I definitely recommend super rods x2 if you're gonna try with this deck.
  14. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

Also I've found you need a CFF Poke, to help get set up. Can't go without one.
  15. ultimatedra

ultimatedra Utah Pokemon VGC Head Judge

Pokemon:21
    4 Garchomp DRX 90
    3 Gabite DRX 89
    4 Gible DRX 86
    1 Axew PLB
    1 Haxorus PLB
    3 Altaria DRX 84
    3 Swablu DRX 104
    2 Emolga DRX

Trainers:28
    1 Life Dew or 1 Scramble Switch

1 Iris
    1 Skyla
    2 Bianca
    2 Colress
    2 N
    2 Cheren

3 Silver Bangle
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    2 Level Ball
    2 Switch
    2 Super Rod
    2 Hypnotoxic Laser

Energy:11
    4 Blend WLFM
    7 Fighting

Thoughts on my build:
    1-1 Haxorus is there for plasma pressure, cutting Altaria from 4-4 to 3-3. 1 Iris was put in here for the ability have clutch KOs when I am down in prizes (and some utility with strong bond axew)

The issue I was having before haxorus was once 2-3 of my garchomps were gone, my game slowed WAY down with me heavily relying on Super rod to bring me back. With that extra attacker now I am having much more consistent games where I can continue attacking after losing a few 'mons.

Things I am on the fence about:
    Supporters: I want more Colress in here because with the bench setup I need I greatly benefit from more of them. Maybe -1 Bianca for +1 Colress?
    Ace Spec: Ace spec is up in the air - life dew gives prize denial, while scramble switch means I can go from a nothing haxorus to a Strike of the champion without any opposition. Heck, I could put master ball in here.

Thoughts?
  16. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

I know people use Bianca and Cheren. Can you explain why?

Cheren - Nets you 3 Cards
    Bianca - Nets you on average 3-5 cards

Juniper - 7 Cards (loss of hand)
    Colress - (In todays meta and with your deck being a benching deck) ~ 5-8 Cards - (No Loss of hand)
    N - Utility for hand denial late game, Nets you generally 2-6 Cards

Any of the later choices are considerably better than the first two.

I am assuming that you are trying to avoid discarding your hand, so cut the Cheren/Bianca's and add 2 N/2 Colress. I think that is the better play on trainers/supporters.
  17. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

I usually only use 3 Altaria anyway.
    I'm not entirely sold on your supporter choice. You need to get through your cards quick. I run 4 N. You're probably going to be behind in prizes. Late game N can turn the game around in an instant. I don't see Iris as a game changer so I would get rid of that. I'm not a fan of Bianca personally. Never was. Playing down your hand isn't too often in this deck. So I would take those out. Juniper for me lets me run through my deck quickly and get what I need. Colress is good at 2. Especially at this format. I run cheren myself but that's because I don't have Colress yet. Skyla should be a 2 of. Gets those rare candies.
    -2 bianca
    - iris
    - 2 cheren
    +2 N
    +1 Skyla
    +2 Professor Juniper (will be trying to add two more as I go on)

Ace Spec
    Life Dew> Scramble Switch
    Life Dew always does what it's supposed to do. Scramble Switch may only truly be needed in some matches.

Trainers I'm not sold on are two Hypno. Especially with no virbank the card won't do much so
    -2 hypno
    +2 juniper

super rod will help you regain what you lost in battle and in juniper. Those are the changes I would make so far.[DOUBLEPOST=1377097273][/DOUBLEPOST]
    personally i wouldn't rely on colress being a 4 of.
  18. RJCarrot

I agree with this message. Honestly I can't see any deck not running at minimum a 4/3 line on Juniper/N
    ThatCJKid likes this.
  19. ThatCJKid

ThatCJKid Active Member

I'm probably going to play this deck at battle roads. It's sort of my pet deck and i like playing it and I'm learning how to play it better and get around its low HP
  20. RJCarrot

Its a pretty solid deck when it gets going. I know when I play vs it I am looking to turn off dragons call asap before it gets silly. Plus the dragon type makes it a PITA to play its weakness.