Tier 2 Garbodor DRX, Attackers

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Wrags23, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

That's what I was banking on for this idea. If it didn't block candy, I wouldn't even consider it.
  2. Jdizzle64

Jdizzle64 New Member

I almost feel like Victini EX is needed in here. because it helps take some early prizes against VirGen, and turbo energize is just way too good for energy accel
    SheepInSpace likes this.
  3. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

So how do you feel about this deck winning Arizona States?
  4. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I feel more surprised that Tool Drop would win a States than this deck. This deck has proven to be good in the past so I don't see it as too big a deal tbh.
  5. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

Andrew Zavala is pretty good, so I'm not surprised at all. He was running Zekrom EX though, so his list might be a little different from what Big Basics usually looks like.
  6. loosegiraffe

loosegiraffe AK gamer

Pretty sure it wasn't the ex version but the outrage non-ex
  7. webjefita

webjefita New Member

Changing ours to run 2-2 Raichu, and taking out Tornadus EX for another Mewtwo EX. Tornadus EX was good for knocking out some small basics, but don't like at all that it's weak to lightning. 1-1 Raichu was good but just so frustrating when it was prized.

2 Escape Rope is pretty good with Raichu, you either put that up or one of your Garbodor with Float Stone, and then retreat into your attacker.
  8. Krusiv

Krusiv New Member

Has Andrew shared his decklist anywhere?
  9. Tax_collecter

Nope.
  10. Drench

Drench Active Member

^ this
  11. Tax_collecter

My list I have been testing
    3 Landorus EX
    3 Mewtwo EX
    2-2 Garbodor
    2-2 Raichu

4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Colress
    3 Skyla

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    3 Float Stone
    1 Switch
    1 Max Potion
    1 Dowsing Machine

2 Virbank

7 Fighting
    4 DCE
  12. SheepInSpace

SheepInSpace Italian PokéDad

Pretty similar to mine, except I took out a LandorusEX for a CobalionEX because of Kyurem (plus with muscle band and so many decks full of special energy Cobalion can be pretty good, and it has 180 HP too, and Xerneas is weak to metal). Of course then I play 4 prism and 3 Fighting.

Other minor differences: I have 1 Catcher and no MaxPotion (though sometimes I wish I had one), because Catcher is very good in this even on a flip, and losing energy without having acceleration is really taxing.
    I also took out a Colress for a Professor's Letter but maybe I should change that back.

In general I like the deck very much. I haven't tried the version with Outrage Zekrom instead of Raichu, because I like Raichu and with Zekrom you have to rely on the opponent to put damage on it without OHKOing it... but maybe I just don't understand how it should work.

Bear in mind that I'm no competitive player, I just play online.

ETA: I just noticed that in this deck Skarmory EX might be a better idea than Cobalion EX: it doesn't mess with your energy line, so that you can still keep 7 fighting and 4 DCEs, and besides, Joust has a nice effect (good against Genesect).
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  13. snscompt1

snscompt1 The worst Mafia player ever.

Quick question for everyone: is a 2-2 line all thats needed? Im about to make a deck using Garb, no EXs though, and was wondering what happens if it gets knocked out early or is prized. Havent played the deck so Id like to hear everyones experience.
  14. SheepInSpace

In my albeit limited experience, now that Catcher has been nerfed, 2-2 is alright. It depends on how much of an enfasis you want to put on Garbodor. If you want to have it because it's essential in some matchups and very useful in some others, but don't want to sacrifice too much speed and consistency, 2-2 is fine. Bear in mind that I also play Super Rod, though.

Which makes me notice that @Tax_collecter only has 59 cards in his list.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  15. SheepInSpace

This is my current list. It most probably needs tweaking, but it's working sweetly thus far.

Pokémon 14

2 Victini EX
    2 Landorus EX
    2 Pikachu XY
    2 Raichu XY
    2 Trubbish LTR
    2 Garbodor DRX
    1 Yveltal EX
    1 Cobalion EX

Trainers 2/15/18 i.e. 35

2 Virbank City Gym

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Colress
    3 Skyla
    1 Cassius

3 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    1 Level Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone
    1 Switch
    1 Pokémon Catcher
    1 Super Rod
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Victory Piece (Ace Spec)

Energy 11

3 Fighting Energy
    4 Prism Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy

Cobalion is there mainly for Kyurem, I chose Yveltal because I found Mewtwo to be underwhelming, what with all those Sigilyph running rampant, and the 20 additional damage counts for a lot. I'm trying out Cassius having beefy Pokemon with high retreat cost and just one switch. That way I can attach a Muscle Band and retrieve Pokemon, Tool and Energy before the knockout, but I can see it's very situational. It may also come in handy against Trevenant. I'll try it out and see. Victini can help against Genesect both in Virgen and Aromatisse decks, plus it provides energy acceleration mainly for Landorus.
  16. weakest

weakest Bear enthusiast.

SheepInSpace likes this.
  17. SheepInSpace

Here's my tweaked list:

Pokémon 14

2 Victini EX
    2 Landorus EX
    2 Pikachu XY
    2 Raichu XY
    2 Trubbish LTR
    2 Garbodor DRX
    1 Yveltal EX
    1 Mewtwo EX
    1 Virizion EX

Trainers 2/14/17 i.e. 33

2 Virbank City Gym

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Colress
    3 Skyla

3 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    1 Level Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone
    2 Switch
    1 Silver Mirror
    1 Victory Piece (Ace Spec)

Energy 12

2 Fighting Energy
    1 Darkness Energy
    1 Rainbow Energy
    4 Prism Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy

I cut the Cobalion EX 'cause it didn't do much for me. This tends to be a responsive/aggressive deck, not disruptive nor tanking (hence the 0 Max Potions).

Victini takes care of Genesect decks plus Turbo Energize is often awesome, Landorus and Raichu of Dark, Garbodor is often useful to shut off Red Signal, Power Connect, Overflow, Block, Verdant Wind, Dark Cloak, Bouffer, Fairy Transfer, Safeguard, Rush In, Bench Barrier, besides the Rain Dancers.

The Plasma Kyurem matchup is shaky so I added a Silver Mirror.

I was unhappy with 11 energies as I kept on whiffing them so I added a Rainbow.

I added back in a Mewtwo EX as sometimes you need a new attacker immediately ready, plus it's very useful against Deoxys and other Mewtwos.

In the end I decided to cut the Super Rod to add a Virizion EX. Clutch against Trevenant, useful against Dark decks.

Overall I'm very happy with how this is running, but I'm still open to suggestions on how to improve it even more.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  18. SheepInSpace

I find it amazing that a deck with such poor TDK and VirGen matchups managed to take US Nationals.
  19. Hurrmaadurr

Hurrmaadurr Is blasting off again

I'm more amazed at the fact that prams pyroar took second
  20. SheepInSpace

I think Pyroar was underrated, Singapore and Czech Nationals notwithstanding. Most decks have too small lines of counters, so that it's difficult to take out thick Pyroar lines that catcher your counters and deal with them swiftly.