Forums will become "read only" after Worlds

Discussion in 'SixPrizes Stuff' started by Adam, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit. Staff Member

Some time shortly after Worlds in August, these forums will become "read only," meaning no new posts will be allowed. The BBS integration with the main site is pretty stable at this point and I think people are starting to get used to the new software, as evidenced by more users posting on there lately.

http://bbs.sixprizes.com/

So, in the next few weeks I'd recommend starting to migrate your discussions over there, especially any deck discussions involving the new format. The reasons I can't leave these forums open are because it's too much effort to monitor two separate forums and I want all discussions happening in one place. You'll get more feedback and interaction from other users.

There is also currently no importer, so I can't transfer the posts on here over. In the future if an importer is developed I will look into it, but for the time being I think it's best to essentially freeze the content here.

Sorry for forcing change (I know people hate the "c" word), but you'll eventually get used to the new software. Going forward it is a necessary move considering how quickly the internet is evolving.
  2. Jirachion

Jirachion is now addicted with Pokemon gijinkas.

@Adam are conversations going to be cancelled too? Or is this only for the discussion part?
  3. Tsunami

Tsunami Seems legit.

Thanks for the heads up! Will the read-only apply to conversations as well?

EDIT: ninja'd by @Jirachion
    Jirachion likes this.
  4. Adam

I'm still slightly on the fence about what to do with conversations, but I'd ultimately like to make them read only. The BBS has PMs too so there isn't much reason to keep them active here.
  5. desufnoc

desufnoc Ditto used Transform!

I'm going to miss being able to view the site through Tapatalk.
  6. Adam

Why is Tapatalk important? I'm genuinely curious since I don't have a smart phone to test it out.
  7. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

It's easier to post than using a browser on your phone and it's good for alerts if you're on your computer with your phone but not on 6P.
  8. Adam

The BBS is supposed to be mobile friendly, so it should be fairly easy to make posts on it from your phone.

I don't know about the alerts – the BBS does send emails when you receive replies though.
    Serperior likes this.
  9. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

Candidly, the BBS's mobile capabilities are definitely a tad subpar. It's definitely a bit laggy and navigating page-by-page (particularly going back a page) can occasionally cause significant lag. This is on a iPhone 5s, x64 bit architecture and all.
  10. Adam

Thanks for the info. That's a bummer it's not great at the moment. I'm pretty confident the software will improve over time though; the developers are top notch and the software is still young.
  11. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

Do you have the new forum planned to stay as it is or will it have a new theme.
  12. Adam

I'm not tinkering too much with the visuals on the BBS because the software is in active development and any changes I make could be soon overwritten. The front page still needs more design work first and then I'd possibly try to match the visuals on the BBS later.
    Serperior likes this.
  13. BBS is TERRIBLE on mobile. I click on alerts and it takes me to other places, pages take a LONG time to load if they are more than 20 posts (actually having pages would help this a lot) and posting is an absolute pain.[DOUBLEPOST=1405703873][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh. And being able to go back one page instead of straight back to the front page would be nice.
  14. Adam

Out of curiosity, what kind of phone do you have? I'll report the issues to the developers.
  15. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

I'd have to concur with all of it except the posting issues (I don't have an issue with posting, but page navigation is slow) on iOS 7.1.2. I'll PM you a bit more info on iOS vs BBS over there.
  16. iPhone 5C, and I've also had the same issues with my iPad.
    Floral likes this.
  17. Adam

Thanks. @Vablakes can you and @KPiplup list the exact steps you took to produce the errors? Like an example of the back button not working and an instance of slow loading. If you could list like this:

1. Visit http://bbs.sixprizes.com/
    2. Tap _____
    3. Tap _____

etc... that would be incredibly helpful.
  18. Going right back to the from page of BBS off of one back:

Click on BBS forums
    Click on sub forum
    Click on thread
    Click on inbox
    Click on a PM
    Click back
    And I'm back at the front page of BBS.[DOUBLEPOST=1405792597][/DOUBLEPOST]And slow loading is just a result of my phone having to load a lot of posts at once, because there are no pages.
  19. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

I can agree with this, the BBS really needs pages. I dont like scrolling through lots of posts, and if iirc, my phone lags because of the same exact issue. The BBS isn't bad, I am used to it, but it needs some minor changes like pages and adding new people to conversations.
    Serperior and Vablakes like this.
  20. desufnoc

desufnoc Ditto used Transform!

I've tried the BBS site on my phone once. I would scroll down a little bit and then either the site or the phone kept having the page jump jump back up near the top. I could only have it stop by scrolling slowly. My phone is a Nexus 5.