Rogue Excadrill DEX #56

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by Ollietoed64, May 11, 2012.

1. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

I am reluctantly coming to agree that Landorus has to go. I keep wanting to leave Landorus in since it is the closest thing Fighting has to energy acceleration but these Exp Share based fighting decks bog down if too many Pokemon need three energy to attack. Well I am going to do more tweaking and testing over the weekend. We'll see.
  2. LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti Active Member

Landorus is a really bad starter.
  3. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

Oh? I thought the point of Landorus was to be the starter. Drop some energy in the discard with by way of some trainer or supporter, Attach, Use Abundant Harvest to get a second energy attached, and then attach again to start using Gaia Hammer for 80 on T2. Why do you say Landorus is a bad starter?
  4. LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti Active Member

Mewtwo and Tornadus can kill him within the two turns. It's his health That I have a problem with.
  5. beboppokedad

beboppokedad Well-Known Member

well, there are a lot of starters that can get knocked out quickly. but anyways if you think landorus should be removed from your deck, i would say remove him
  6. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

Hmmm. I'd been rather assuming that I would die to a CMT match-up so I had not really considered that angle. With both Mewtwo and Tornadus being so splashable I really should. Thanks for another thing to think about, LoBFCanti.
  7. LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti Active Member

Unlike Thundurus and Tornadus, he can't be played as an engine, when he get the energies- he keeps them and they leave with him. Thundurs generates energy that you previously had no access to, Tornadus can us anyone's energy on the field and give it back to what needs it.

Landorus needs energies to be place in discard to put them on the field, you need a item that discards or a support to do so. You have to play 2 cards to set him up and only to net one energy.

The other Kamis come down, borrow or make an energy and then attack the next turn- there is no necessity of a item/supporter in the equation.
    Just them and one initial energy.
  8. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

True, but don't forget that these fighting decks are set-up to use Exp Share to keep energy on the board that would otherwise be lost. Provided that the bench is set-up with Exp Shared Terakions, the KO of Landorus is worked into the design and is almost required to get the rest of the Pokemon in the deck powered up and attacking fast. So that doesn't bother me so much.

The greater concern for me is that I also wanted to use Gaia Hammer as a way to damage the opponents bench to set them up for Groudon EX's Giant Claw. If it is unlikely to survive long enough for that, then I am better off leaving them out for draw support or rocky helmets or something.
  9. beboppokedad

beboppokedad Well-Known Member

yeah, because that would be t3.

whoever comes up with the most elegant solution for pumping giant claw will be a prosperous man (or woman)
  10. wiki188

wiki188 Mrlightning

what about the possibilty of using minun DEX with a prism?
    [L] Electricshower This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Pokemon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)
  11. LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti Active Member

I spent the better half of the afternoon looking over this very idea. But Groudon alone is your best bet I feel. I really like:

3 Groudon EX
    3 Terrakion
    1 Darkrai EX
    2 Shaymin

3 Exp share
    4 Dual ball
    1 Energy Search
    1 Energy switch
    2 Super Scoop up

8 Fighting
    3 Dark

Give them 2 tromps, Give the energy to a fresh Groudon with Shaymin, dark is only there for the free retrear and possible to take the energy lost with Exp share for some unexpected night spears
  12. galladeava

galladeava Disapproving Clown Staff Member

Guys, please bear in mind this is an Excadrill 56 DE thread and those regarding Groudon/Terrakion should be kept to the Groudon/Terrakion thread.
    beboppokedad likes this.
  13. Ollietoed64

Ollietoed64 Always preferred margarine anyway.

Yeah I agree with Galladeava; although I don't want to put people off being creative and making their own deck ideas, I feel like posting a deck in an Excadrill thread isn't appropriate unless it contains some form of strategy including Excadrill :p But anyway, I wish not to digress, I have alternative motives for posting here :p
    I've recently been running a 2 x Excadrill 56 DEX and 1 x Excadrill 57 DEX with increased success :D It brings more attack power to the table with a base output of 80 (providing it has an Exp. Share attatched, which it usually does), OHKO'ing normal Zekrom and OHKO'ing Darkrai EX with the support of one Aerodactyl. So yeah, I think I'll be running that line-up now because it just works better I find :D what do you guys think? :)
  14. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

Assuming you are using your original decklist and altering it from there, what is the advantage to putting three energy on Excadrill 57 for an attack of 50 or 80, when you could be putting three energy on your Groudon EX for 80 or 120 or three energy on your Tornadus EX for 100? Seems like you already have cards in the deck doing as well or better in the damage department. Is the problem that you aren't finding the attackers when you need them and sought to fix that with the higher damage Excadrill?
  15. Ollietoed64

Excadrill 57 can attack for 80 on turn two, whereas Groudon requires 3 turns for set up and two damage counters on the defending Poke (for max damage anyway). Tornadus EX can do 100 by T2, but doesn't have a type advantage over Dark or Lightning decks; it's in this deck really for the T1 60 which could be a donk, although it has contributed a little more than just that in my testing. Also Excadrill 57 doesn't give up 2 prizes, so it also has that benefit.

I haven't had any issues with getting the Pokemon I need out when I need them out, that's the main reason I'm so convinced by this deck. I'm getting T2 Excadrill with two fighting energy ready to attack and a fairly strong bench with Exp. Share, so I'm usually collecting prizes almost straight away. :)
  16. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

Ah, I see. Excadrill 57 is working for you because you can take advantage of the DCE you run. Yes, that's a fair point. In that case I can see why you would include it especially since Heavy Ball can find either one you need.
  17. Ollietoed64

Precisely :D It just fits in nicely with the deck I'm running and makes a nice alternative, which may also act as a spinball because people may not expect it :) Here's hoping I can go far with it in BR's :)
  18. LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti Active Member

I really just think pokemon catcher/random receiver loop is the best thing about this deck. it can get kills while confirming more kills. Giant claw is nothing to scoff at with Excadril being able to confirm the 120 on the fly. Tromp also confirms t2 120 while making eels automatic tornadus EP food. I can't see myself really wanting to run 57 I rather play the recyclable plus powers.
  19. Ollietoed64

Exactly, I think if enough people play it at BR's (I know I certainly will) it might be in with a shot at being something recognised as a competitve deck. You can basically choose your kill every turn rendering Eelektrik on the bench un-safe, which ruins the best part of ZekEels; the energy acceleration. And yeah, Groudon comes in late to just kill everything left :) I didn't expect any of the people acknowledging this deck to favour it, it's something that is working for me that is all :D
  20. bradon

bradon Member

I tried this on playtcg.me, and I am in love with Excadrill now.

Excadrill/Terrakion/Groudon/Mewtwo EX are my attackers, with Smeargle and Shaymin for their pokepowers.
    EXP. Share and hope to drop an energy every turn so I don't get behind.
    Excadrill absolutely destroys Eelektriks and Tynamos. If Excadrill gets knocked out while you have an EXP. Share on Terrakion, and they have a benched fighting weak EX then that is two free prizes. Mewtwo handles anything that isn't weak to fighting.

I only tested this deck vs Eel variants and Dark decks, but what other decks do people play? :p