Tier 2 Empoleon DEX, Terrakion NVI

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by baby_mario, May 10, 2012.

1. N3rd4Christ

N3rd4Christ Active Member

I've play tested mainly against Darkrai/Hydreigon and I can tell you it works quite well. I usually got set up by turn 2-3 and as long a you can keep the Deinos or Zweilous off the field you are in good shape. Just make sure you start setting up a terrakion to retaliate or land crush the darkrai. Overall I have had great draws the last 10+ games I've played vs darkrai and have lost maybe 2 of the 10.

I am aware that it's not enough test data but pretty confident in the deck.
  2. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

Unfortunatly I play in the Masters division so ...........
  3. N3rd4Christ

I play masters myself. It's still a great deck.
  4. Patric

Patric Nondescript

I tested this deck versus darkrai/hydreigon and fluffy chomp, and so far I can almost guarantee that this deck is going to be t1-1.5. Zeels matchup is rough but that's why 2-3 terrakion evens things out. Right now I'm considering playing this for battle roads, it's either empoleon or fluffychomp.
  5. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

I'm really considering either this or Empoleon/Accelgor. Served me well enough at our last BR. I just need to play the Terrakions better and stop having such janky starts :p
  6. N3rd4Christ

I wanna do some testing with Accelegor but I am waiting for the cards to come in. I think it would be awesome vs darkrai since it guarantees that they can't retreat. Not so sure about vs other decks
  7. Patric

Patric Nondescript

Yeah, today i'm going to test accelgor, I find the card really cool its just difficult to set up
  8. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

How important is catcher? vital or just goodstuff that needs to be in it? and how many should I run? I'm ordering parts for the maindeck and Pokemon Catcher is really the onlything pre-dragons that I don't have either in person or on the way.
    ITs not that I have a hard time buying it but I don't bid on Ebay and all the stores/people around me that I know of don't have it and havne't had it in a while. those that do aren't trading.

If it is vital does anyone have a site that sells them? I'd rather not have to buy an ungodly amount of packs and try to get lucky.
  9. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

You're probably going to want to run at least 3 but you can get away with 2 and you should be fine. I haven't tested the deck too much though so I don't know.
  10. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

I dunno if this has any real meaning but are any of the piplups worth anything? like are there any that are better than the others?
  11. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

There is only 1 Piplup in the format.
  12. mr_ean

mr_ean New Member

Really hope this deck will do well with BW-on, I'm gonna either play this and Hydreigion and Darkrai, when darkrai tins come out though lol
  13. xquqx

xquqx Member

Rowan I'd consider it vital, and if you don't run 3-4 copies of it, the decks that do will have a distinct advantage over you. I mean, unless you're the guy who managed to make top 64 at US nats without Catcher, you probably want 4.
  14. N3rd4Christ

I have been playing Empoleon/Terrakion and Darkrai/Hydreigon and ill be honest i really wanted to use D/H... However, i find it very inconsistent and ive played with my E/T vs D/H and i have completely ran over H/D, the key is to not allow them to set up then you are good. Darkrai then becomes easier to KO.
  15. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

How exactly does Empoleon/Accelgor work? I've heard of the deck a bunch but I just can't see what the synergy is.
  16. Angry_Brother

Angry_Brother Almost any 6p member is ueban

You play in format without junk arm. So only 3-4 catchers against Eels, 2-3 against Chomps, 0-1 against Darkrais(!), and 4 against Troll. You play Accelgor or Mew for Deck and Cover. and after Winning ko with Empoleon. And it's with ability draw engine. Also you 2hko Empoleons and Garchomps at the end of your opponent's turn, so you have lock.
  17. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

isnt not letting them set up always the plan. remeber zps(not zpst). it wa ssaid it was gonig to be gold. t1 bolt strike. how did it kill vileplume and magneels and zekeels and other decks like reshiphlosion? it was not going to let them set up. but with bw-on rules among other things that cannot be your only way to beat it. they will get set-up most likely the majority of the time.
  18. N3rd4Christ

I don't remember those as I've been playing since DEX lol....

However it's not only the plan. There are plenty of ways of dealing with darkrai etc. interrupting their setup is the most effective but retaliating on a darkrai with tool scraper always works. It really depends on the situation.

I'm considering -1 Terrakion +1 Emolga as starting with Terrakion is horrible.

I'll do some play testing on play TCG this week and see how it feels
  19. Nintendan

Nintendan Scrub

Alright, so I've been playing a few solitaire games with this list and it sets up pretty fast. I can (not always, but it dose happen) set up T2 Empoleons and from there I go on and on. I think my supporter line is perfect, if I'm changing anything about it it'll have to be the RRs.
    I'm also thinking about dropping a Switch for something (another RR maybe?).
    Also, I only run 2 Blend because I sometimes found my Terrakions unable to get Energy because Empoleon would have a Blend on him. Blend is obviously there for flexibility, but I also want my basic counts somewhat high so that I can actually use my Exp. Shares.
    Loving this deck at the moment though. Probably will end up playing it.

Pokemon (14):
    4-1-4 Empoleon
    3 Terrakion
    2 Emolga

T/S/S (35):
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Pokémon Communication
    2 Level Ball
    4 Pokémon Catcher
    2 Exp. Share
    2 Super Rod
    4 Switch
    4 N
    4 Cheren
    2 Random Reciever
    2 Professor Juniper
    2 Tool Scrapper

Energy (11):
    4 Fighting Energy
    5 Water Energy
    2 WLMF Blend Energy

Opinions?
  20. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

Looks like a pretty solid list Nintendan. I personally don't like Random Receiver in the deck but I think that's just my preference. I run Ultra Balls instead of Pokemon Communicators. With Diving Draw, I have huge hands so finding two cards to discard is usually not a problem.

Let me ask a general question. How useful has Exp. Share been in your games? With the Blend energy added I have often found myself with a energy Exp Share can't share and I recently played a few games against decks that Tool Scrapped away my Exp Shares and it did not seem to slow down my deck any. I am starting to question if I really need them.