Tier 2 Empoleon DEX, Terrakion NVI

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by baby_mario, May 10, 2012.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

Here is the place to discuss all things Empoleon. If you have any questions about the deck, or want some advice on your list, then please post them in this thread.

Sample List

4-1-4 Empoleon
    3 Terrakion
    2 Smeargle

4 Collector
    3 N
    3 Juniper
    3 PONT

4 Rare Candy
    4 Junk Arm
    3 Catcher
    3 Switch
    3 Exp. Share
    3 Communication
    2 Super Rod

6 Water
    5 Fighting

Credit: Gelatin
    cabd likes this.
  2. Ollietoed64

Ollietoed64 Always preferred margarine anyway.

Firstly I'd just like to add how happy I am Empoleon has a foot in on the competitive thread, a really interesting Pokemon to say the least :)
    I'll start by answering your first question. Yes, 9 basic is enough in my opinion. It gives you just shy of a 1 in 6 chance of drawing one basic in your first hand so you're statistically guaranteed a basic pokemon to begin with (I'm sure everyone knows however this is not alyways the case, but that is inevitable).
    Does the deck need Exp Share? Maybe. But it really depends on who you want to be your go-to guy. Obviously that depends on the deck you're against but I presume you will want Empoleon as your main attacker, and it certainly doesn't need Exp. Share.
    Better asking a more wisened veteran about the energy spread; maybe a 7 Fight 6 Water? I don't know.

On a more personal note, and in no way wishing to tamper with your preferences, I'd run Aerodactly with Empoleon. Seems natural really, gets Pokemon on your bench which powers up Empoleons attack anyway and then primal scream; so Aerodactly serves as a +20 instead of just a +10 if you will. Hope this helps :)
    Ollie
  3. beboppokedad

beboppokedad Well-Known Member

whoa... i thought these [MAINS] were for competitive decks....:p... "THAT WAS A CHEAP SHOT!"

hehe, sorry
  4. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

Guess I'll go ahead and move my list here.

4-1-4 Empoleon
    3 Terrakion
    2 Smeargle
    (thanks baby_mario)

4 Collector
    3 N
    3 Juniper
    3 PONT

4 Rare Candy
    4 Junk Arm
    3 Catcher
    3 Switch
    3 Exp. Share
    3 Communication
    2 Super Rod

6 Water
    5 Fighting

Exp Share isn't require but it's certainly helpful when you need to quickly charge those Terrakion.

The problem I see with Aerodactyl is that it requires you to run 6-8 cards (depending on how many Aerodactyl and Twist Mountain you're running), and while the permanent plus powers are amazing, there's a lot of thing being packed into this deck and those resources could be better used for draw support and such.

I'm not completely sold on this energy split yet. I'd like to go 7 and 5 or something like that but this seems to be working for now. The problems I've been having when testing are when you start to run low on the energy in the late game or when there aren't enough Pokemon in play to deal a significant amount of damage.
    JGames likes this.
  5. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

Also a wildly inaccurate one ;)
    JGames likes this.
  6. Ollietoed64

I understand that Aerodactyl does take up space, but I would only suggest running 3 Aerodactyl and 2/3 Twist Mountain. Like I said, it's something of personal preference and I presume most Empoleon won't run Aerodactyl, but I'll find some room for it :p
    Otherwise I really like the list you've put up, however with so many Junk Arm you don't need so many RC's, I'd have maybe 2-3. And also (again this is personal preference) I'd use Dual Balls instead of Collector :)
    Ollie
  7. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod. Staff Member

Collector > Dual ball in a deck where the whole point is maxing out benched pokemon. Besides, there's no random receiver here, so it's not like Collector is a burden. In regards to that list above, though, I'd drop one candy for a single Sky Arrow Bridge. In case your opponent doesn't play one, that "double supporter turn" every time you get knocked out is golden.
  8. Ollietoed64

9. beboppokedad

but seriously, do we think this deck will even be a Top 10 deck coming out of battle roads (tier 2 or such)?
  10. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod. Staff Member

I do, actually. Sure, it has to two-hit a lot of the EX pokemon, but at the same time, unless they swing for 140 damage, it won't go down to an OHKO either. Also, it's only worth one prize. Most importantly, decks still relying upon mewtwo as a damage crutch will have a tough time with him, because he only uses one energy to attack, meaning the mewtwo player needs 6 energy on himself. Good luck doing that more than once.

Unfavorable to Zekrom/Eels
    Favorbale to CMT
    Even with dark.dek

Is where my theroymon sits right nwo.
  11. darkwings

darkwings Never give the monkey a gun

my pokemon line is
    4-2-4 empoleon
    3 terrakion
    3 smeargle
    1 shaymin

help?
  12. darkwings

YES! if terrakion is good on it's own against dark.dec and zekeels, then empoleon mixed with it would be awesome for the cmt win. :cool:
  13. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

Yes to at least 2 Exp. Share, and energy-wise. I'd suggest a 2:1 ratio of fighting to Water, depending on how many Terrakion are being run in the deck. But I know virtually nothing about this deck, so don't take my word for it.

Also, couldn't Twist Mountain be a partial SAB-counter to decks using it? :/. because CMT already uses it, it's exponentially increasing in popularity in ZekEels, and taking it away from either deck could slow them down quite a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, though :/
  14. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

I feel like Aerodactyl and Twist Mt is a good counter-Stadium and I think it could do good alongside Empoleon, but I just decided against it in my build because I needed more draw power.

And it's a little early to be speculating on our August set, but I feel like this deck could benefit from Mew EX since it provides us with another attacker.
  15. darkwings

i would actually run 3:2 for water:fighting energy ratio. you want terrakion to have energy for retaliate and maybe a land crush, but you also want plenty of energy for empoleon.

i can see twist mnt. as a SAB counter, and it would slow down eels and exct a LOT. most people opt for terrakion/smeargle instead of aerodactyl just because draw power is needed.
  16. 3:2 Fighting Water should be a better ratio. Terrakion needs a lot more Energy to attack than Empoleon.
  17. Peithoson

Peithoson Member

I like Terrakion+EXP Share over Dactyl/Twist Moutain personally.
  18. TURDCANNON

TURDCANNON As foretold by Nostradamus

Terrakion and Exp. Share is the way to go. Energy counts should be something like 6 water 5 fighting assuming you run 2-3 Terrakion.

I love this deck so much. It could be so good if candy weren't nerfed and Zekrom weren't so popular.
  19. Peithoson

Peithoson Member

It is really good even with Zekrom in the format. Diving Draw helps the consistency so much.
  20. beboppokedad

no aerodactyl... only one marginal pokemon per deck! :p