Tier 2 Durant NVI

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by baby_mario, May 10, 2012.

1. darkwings

darkwings Never give the monkey a gun

why are you telling them the bulls' weakness in their world domination plan?
    voltbolt likes this.
  2. beboppokedad

beboppokedad Well-Known Member

ground rules

durant will be ok... i have never beat durant, he makes me so nervous! damn ant!
  3. voltbolt

voltbolt Member

They have a right to know!!haha
  4. Peithoson

Peithoson Member

Durant gained a lot from being mostly an unexpected deck during CC's, but now it's well known. ZPST had good match ups against the Ant IIRC, but it was the only deck I can think of that could attack for a significant amount of damage T-1. Darkrai, CMT, Tornadus EX are able to hit that. Plus, Zekrom BLW eats Durants alive in Zeel. I really don't see Durant having the same success in this format as it had over CC's and States.
  5. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

Is anyone gonna play it anymore? I'm thinking of building one more for the league play since its so cheap.

But will it get trolled even on a more fun level like leagues? Also does it still have any steam? b/c I don't know of any really high level fire type decks in the meta (I don't know that much though. Still a noob here). Or is it that the pokemon now are just so powerful that they will win out the match before you can mill them?
  6. beboppokedad

i would said definitely for league. i still think you could go .500 in tournaments with it, especially something like battle roads. peithoson above makes some good points about decks that should be able to beat it, but there's still others out there that will have trouble with it, and overall i'd say next to no one will run heatmor
  7. Peithoson

Peithoson Member

Why would you play a deck that is designed to turn pokemon into a game of Solitaire for fun? I ran Durant for states and did very well with it but I have not ran it since that time because it is not fun to see your opponents quit out of frustration. Durant is not a "fun" deck for league. However, I do not think it is against SOTG.
  8. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

The way to make Durant fun is to ask your opponent if you can discard their cards for them when you Devour.

Then you can say 'ohhhhhh' and 'bad luck mate' when you mill each card.

(This may actually be against SOTG)
    inatspong and RisingDawn like this.
  9. beboppokedad

hehe, well, you know league is the only place some people can actually win a game :rolleyes:
  10. galladeava

galladeava Disapproving Clown Staff Member

Is that from experience bebop?

Durant isnt totally dead yet, it just is in a heavy dark meta.
  11. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

I've thought about trying to tech in just ONE heatmore in the deck. that way when I go to a tournament in a few weeks and I see the lone Durant Deck that I'll face in the 8 person round swiss i'll be like.
    :cool:"I got this" and boom.

Because several people have made the point that durant is Teir 2 but NO ONE seems to be running Heatmore in their 60. Not that I've seen anyway.

And if I deside to go Durant then its the perfect Mirror victory card.
  12. beboppokedad

i should run a heatmor, then if i face a durant at battleroads i might actually win a game
  13. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

There's just one problem with that. If your otherwise Pokemon line (like 99.9% of all competitive Durant decks are) is 4 Durant and 4 Rotom, adding in a Heatmor will drastically increase the odds that you get a non-Durant Pokemon as a starter, which I understand is a really unwanted ting in that deck. Yes, he's very good in the mirror match and gives you a virtual autowin (unless your opponent starts killing him off with Rotom), but Durant is a very uncommon deck nowadays (everyone I know who ran Durant around States/Regionals has switched to other decks), and the boost Heatmor gives against that deck will not help in any other case in which you start with him.
  14. desufnoc

desufnoc Ditto used Transform!

I don't think I have seen a single durant deck run 4 rotom. Just one is fine. I would never run heatmor, unless durant becomes the most played deck.
  15. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

My bad--typo : P.
  16. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod. Staff Member

If anything, I think this deck is tier 3 now. Sorry ant fans.
  17. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

Did Durant decks ever run Pichu? Or would the optional set up for the opponent hurt it too much?

EDIT: Actually, I just answered my own question. The entire idea behind Durant is to keep the opponent from getting what they wanted. Pichu gives them the option to fish for EXACTLY what they want.
  18. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

19. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

This deck's not dead. It's just pining for the fjords.
  20. David

David Shiny Piplup wiZard

Durant will die after rotation...

dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant.... do do do doooooooo...

at least eventually anyway