Tier 2 (Del)RayBoar (Rayquaza EX, Emboar LTR, (Delphox XY))

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Wrags23, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

This is the competitive deck thread for RayBoar. This deck is also known by the common nickname RAYBOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR. The basic strategy is to use Emboar's Ability, Inferno Fandago, to put Fire Energy on Rayquaza EX's attack, Dragon Burst so you can do large amounts of damage. Here is a sample deck list:

Pokemon (13):
    4-0-3 Emboar LTR
    3 Rayquaza EX
    2 Reshiram LTR
    1 Keldeo EX

Trainers:
    4 Skyla
    3 Professor Juniper
    3 N
    2 Colress
    1 Cilan

4 Rare Candy
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Superior Energy Retrieval
    3 Float Stone
    2 Energy Retrieval
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Level Ball
    1 Dowsing Machine

3 Tropical Beach

Energy (12):
    9 Fire
    3 Lightning
  2. areuter

areuter Member

I wouldn't use Cilan in here, as it takes up your supporter of the turn. Also, I think you should switch the Level Ball for a Heavy Ball. You also might want Mr. Mime in here because it blocks Night Spear/Frost Spear/Hammerhead bench damage, which can be crucial when an Emboar goes down. Finally, you might want a Pignite, as Gothitelle is back. Here, I'll post my list.

3 Rayquaza EX
    2 Reshiram BLW
    3-1-3 Emboar LTR
    2 Keldeo EX
    1 Mr. Mime

4 Juniper
    4 N
    4 Skyla
    1 Colress

4 Rare Candy
    3 Ultra Ball
    4 Superior Energy Retrieval
    2 Float Stone
    1 Switch
    1 Energy Retrieval
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Heavy Ball
    1 Dowsing Machine

2 Tropical Beach

9 Fire
    2 Lightning[DOUBLEPOST=1385514314][/DOUBLEPOST]Wait . . . . . . . . . .
    Shouldn't this be in Tier Reshiboar? Lol
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

Uh-oh, the Cilan discussion again. Yes, it does take up your Supporter for the turn, but in decks like Blastoise and RayBoar, you can make huge plays with Cilan that are often times more crucial than using a Supporter. Now, I realize that Blastoise and RayBoar are different, but they have the exact same strategy. And James Good, who got Top 4 at Worlds with 'Stoise, says that he couldn't have done it without his Cilan tech.

Now, about your list. 2 Keldeo EX? I would drop one for another Tropical Beach. Rayquaza only retreats for 1, so you can just manually retreat, retrieve Energy from discard, and attach again to the new Pokemon.
  4. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

I'd definetly use Cilan as a 1-of, as it is essentially 180 damage for the low, low cost of your supporter.
    And no, Rayboar isn't anywhere near Tier Reshiboar since the rules changes.
    Wrags23 likes this.
  5. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

I think Cilan is a lot more viable now with Jirachi, since you can much more reliably get it when you're ready to use it. It also justifies running a lower count of Lightning Energy since you have at least one solid method (a potential second is Energy Search) to dig it out when you actually need it.

And on that note, I think you should absolutely run Jirachi-EX.
  6. Empoleon1107

Empoleon1107 The one and only Gangsta

This deck is legit. And so is one copy of Cilan. Basically, if you have an Emboar and a Rayquaza with one Energy on it, Cilan = OHKO on anything
  7. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

The important thing with supporters like Elesea and Cilan is that they don't refresh your hand—you still need to have the space for sufficient hand refresh.
  8. Empoleon1107

It is still clutch in some situations. I ran one Skyla in my DarkGarb for the same reason
  9. KPiplup

I didn't say it wasn't good, I simply said it shouldn't replace a draw card.
  10. Empoleon1107

It definitely shouldn't especially in this deck
  11. KueKas

KueKas Member

I'm actualy playing the other "Inferno Fandango" version (the "Deluge" one =P) for almost a year (since Keldeo EX and Blastoise came out) and I can tell you that 1 Cilan (now with Jirachi's EX help) saves the day a LOT of times! RayBoar wouldn't be different.
    Empoleon1107 likes this.
  12. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

Well Wrags23 inspired by you, I present Beachless Rayboar:

Pokémon – 16

3 Tepig LTR

1 Pignite LTR

3 Emboar LTR

3 Rayquaza EX DRX

2 Reshiram LTR

2 Voltorb PLF

2 Electrode PLF

Trainers – 32

4 Skyla

4 Professor Juniper

4 N

1 Colress

4 Rare Candy

3 Ultra Ball

3 Level Ball

3 Superior Energy Retrieval

1 Energy Retrieval

1 Tool Scrapper

2 Escape Rope

1 Switch

1 Dowsing Machine

Energy – 12

9 Fire

3 Lightning

I am worried about the lack of a counter stadium but I cut that back so I could have more Level Ball to be sure I get the Electrodes up and running. Any comments?
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

Frozen city destroys this ?
  14. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Frozen City destroys both Blastoise and Rayboar with Beach or without unless you're running 3-4 Beach.
    However, Soldier's premise is right, you do NEED a counter stadium.
  15. Verrain

Verrain Active Member

What wouldyou suggest I use for a counter stadium and what would you remove from my list to make room?
  16. ryuninja

ryuninja New Member

Battle city can be cool, but id prolly use pkmn center to help with snipe damage from darkrai/kyurem/etc, and it doesnt usually help the opponent as rayquaza one shots everything.

Id drop a pignite (i only use it in decks where u want to stream stage 2s. Dropping a turn 3 emboar is never ideal and emboar wont be dying often with catcher nerf. 3-0-3 or even 3-0-2 should be fine) a 1-1 line of voltorb, and maybe a level ball.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  17. BillDraw2

BillDraw2 The original draw supporter...

Played this deck last night and all 3 of my Tepig were prized. It made for a rough game. Played vs. Mewtwo/Landorous. And vs my friends VirGen deck I'd have to say Reshiram was the MVP in all of the games we played. I'm thinking about running this deck at upcoming cities/regionals. I only own one copy of Tropical Beach so I'm thinking about running Pkmn Center to replace another gym. Obviously I would attempt to get Beach on the field ASAP and then be able to replace a frozen city or virbank if they come into play.
  18. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

1 beach and 2 sky arrow bridge.
  19. KPiplup

A proper Lugia build will 100% roll you if you aren't playing 4 Stadiums, saying that right now.
  20. Covabro

Covabro New Member

Have you considered Zekrom PLF Verrain? It will really help your empoleon/lugia matchup and you already play the reshiram anyway.
    Otaku likes this.