Tier 1 Darkrai-EX, Terrakion NVI, Mewtwo-EX

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by baby_mario, May 21, 2012.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

This is the deck that won Norway's Nationals.

Terrakion makes it a good metagame call for a format full of ZekEels and Darkrai mirror matches.

Sample List

3 Darkrai-EX
    3 Shaymin UL
    3 Smeargle UD/CL
    1 Terrakion NVI
    1 Mewtwo-EX
    = 11

4 Professor Juniper
    4 PONT
    3 N
    2 Random Receiver
    4 Junk Arm
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Dark Patch
    2 Dark Claw
    1 Super Rod
    1 Switch
    2 Energy Search
    4 Super Scoop Up
    3 Ultra Ball
    =37

2 Special Dark
    1 Fighting
    9 Dark
    =12

Set up Darkrai super fast with Smeargle and your own Supporters. Smash face with Night Spear. Use Shaymin and SSU to stop your opponent taking Prizes and keep your Energy in play. Terrakion counters Lightning and Dark decks. Mewtwo counter other Mewtwo and is a powerful attacker in its own right.

List based off of watching the live stream and trying to fill in the gaps. I do not claim that this is the winning list.

Is this the new BDIF?
  2. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

Looks incredibly good to me, but wouldn't the addition of an Eviolite or two help against Terrakion-related decks so that Darkrai isn't OHKO'd?
  3. baby_mario

Here's another take on the deck.

Hernan Gilardino got 4th place at Argentina Nats with this list

3 Darkrai EX
    3 Terrakion
    2 Smeargle
    1 Shaymin

4 Juniper
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 N
    3 Bianca
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Exp Share
    3 Lost Remover
    3 SSU
    3 Dark Patch
    3 Junk Arm
    2 Random Receiver
    2 Dark Claw
    1 Max Potion
    1 Super Rod

8 Dark
    5 Puño

Credit: Hernan Gilardino's post on thetopcut.net
  4. I take Puno is Fighting?

I'm liking the second list better at first glance. 1 Terrakion and 3 Shaymin UL seems a bit odd.
  5. beboppokedad

beboppokedad Well-Known Member

wow, quite interesting. it's amazing how much variability there is with what seems like a small sample of viable pokemon. like eli says, three shaymin seems like a lot and maybe easy prizes, but I guess if you're spreading 120 a turn and rotating attackers you can take a few KOs on shaymin and smeargle. energy search and one ground, hmmm.

seems like ssu/shaymin is kicking max potion's butt so far. which makes sense because you can abuse dark patch once or twice, but you can't be expecting to regenerate 2-3 energies every turn. this is not eels.

... other thing that stands out from both is the absence of any Tornadus-EX
  6. baby_mario

Top 2 in Argentina both ran Tornadus-EX. I didn't see it with Darkrai at all on the Norway live stream.
  7. beboppokedad

I think there might have been two ground... well one of them did (watching the norweigan video). the sick thing is one of them just did Energy Search for a 2nd ground and then Shaymin other ground and dark to active Terrakion for OHKO on Darkrai-EX using Land Crush. now that is sick!!
  8. beboppokedad

Interesting about Terrakion, if you can get one powered up to 3 energies (2 fighting) Darkrai has a hard time handling him, cannot OHKO. Mewtwo could with Shaymin, however. Game ended because of what was going to be back-to-back Terrakion OHKOs on Darkrai-EX, ouch! hmmm, is it possible a Zekeels deck could even pick-up this musketeer?
  9. baby_mario

If Darkrai can get 30 damage from Night Spear on Terrakion, then he can OHKO with Dark Claw.

Yes, people are trying Terrakion in Zekeels. Some were played in Norway. Didn't seem like they stopped Darkrai much though.
  10. Martin

Martin Member

The thing with darkrai is that until it takes the first prize, terrakion cant do anything to him.
    And by then, its usually too late, since he can spread 30 and then catcher+night spear with dark claw.
    I saw this play a lot during nationals on saturday, and it proved to be really effective.
    Its a different story if there are two terrakions at the same time, tough, but that would need a more fighting dedicated deck, not just a 1 or 2 terrakion techs.
    The reason why darkrai dominated so much our nationals was due to the abundance of zeels, and the lack of CMT.
    Zeels as virtually no chance agaisnt darkrai, much less agaisnt one that also runs terrakion.
  11. Civ

Civ Member

So what is the better play? Darkrai/Tornadus or Darkrai/Terrakion? (with or without mewtwo)
  12. beboppokedad

well, maybe you are right. i mean it was a pretty sick turn i saw. terrakion was already damaged, but then it went max potion to heal, energy search for another fighting energy (already one on bench), and then shaymin to switch 3 energies to terrakion. that's probably a pretty rare move.

however, if you drop a terrakion with eviolite on the bench, he's only taking 10 damage from night spear. going to be hard to OHKO him after the next turn (dark claw with special dark or plus power required). ... just my ramblings
  13. baby_mario

No real way of telling right now. Depends on how the metagame shapes up and how the lists develop.
  14. Martin

Martin Member

Well, that enterely depends on the meta.
    Darkrai/tornadus has a slight edge in the mirror (really slight, lets say 55/45), since tornadus is really hard to handle for darkrai and terrakion, and an even match up with cmt, while the terrakion variant has an edge over zeels, while their cmt match up seems bit more difficult.
  15. Civ

Civ Member

Well what about adding tornadus AND terrakion? Or would that just kill consistency?
  16. beboppokedad

it would appear that way, tornadus/ex needs dce
  17. Martin

Martin Member

The first place ran something like that. If memory serves, it was something like 3 darkrai, 2 tornadus ex, 2/3 terrakion, and 1 mewtwo, with all basic darks, and a few energy switch and 1 shaymin.
    Again, if im not mistaken, he didnt run exp share, or at least i didnt see him play it.
    My teammates and I tested a deck like that, but decided agaisnt it due to consistency reasons, we didnt like the idea of having to play fight, dark and DCE.
    So we ended up playing darkrai tornadus and darkrai weavile (the 2nd and 3 places)
  18. beboppokedad

wow, well i'm confused again, so i'm glad, as that's my normal pokemon state of mind :D
  19. beboppokedad

or... in game 2 i'm just seeing, following a KO on his smeargle, he top decked a terrakion, ssu the active shaymin with a ground already on the board, and then did retaliate. so he, was able to do this frequently, get the KO on darkrai with terrakion. luck? deck building? anyways, it happened a lot.

... and then his opponent ultra balls a terrakion, attaches fighting, shaymins a dark energy over, catchers the opponents darkrai for return Retaliate OHKO, all the while doing a ssu on his own darkari-ex to prevent another retaliate. wow, this is a show
  20. joshA11

joshA11 Member

Is 3 or 4 dark patch the right play for this deck? On the one side it can only be used with darkrai but its your energy acceleration.

EDIT* Also whast up with the Bianca over PONT in Hernan Gilardino list?