Tier 1 Darkrai EX, Mewtwo-EX - 3rd place U.S. Nationals

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by beboppokedad, Jul 2, 2012.

1. beboppokedad

beboppokedad Well-Known Member

http://thetopcut.net/2012/07/02/us-nationals-third-place-deck-breakdown-jay-hornung/

Deck by Jay Hornung. I can't find the last 3 cards, let me know if you know.

Pokemon - 11
    3 Darkrai-EX
    3 Mewtwo-EX
    3 Smeargle
    2 Shaymin

Trainers 33-36?
    4 N
    4 Juniper
    1 PONT
    4 Junk Arm
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Random Receiver
    3 Eviolite
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Plus Power
    2 Switch
    3 ?

Energy - 13
    4 DCE
    9 Dark

just watched first 3 minutes of video, explains how terrakion or tornadus-ex weren't working for him. sounds like surprise factor of deck helped him a lot in top cut (3 Mewtwos).

i was a bit surprised there are no SSUs... or is this what is missing?

sheer power of Darkrai-Mewtwo with dark patch acceleration
  2. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

The cards missing from the list are

1 Max Potion
    1 Skyarrow Bridge
    1 Dual Ball

It's a really nice build. Probably my favourite of all the decks I've seen from US Nats.
    beboppokedad likes this.
  3. lucarioAdventure1

lucarioAdventure1 i swear on me mum

Sounds sorta like that deck Nathan was playing at UK nationals, and went 4-3 whiff. Ah well seems interesting enough tbh
  4. Myles

Myles Deck Crafter

Great looking deck, really nice list. No wonder it did so well.

I think it would take a fair amount of skill to pull off using mew two's correctly, as well as avoiding terrakions. I wonder if he faced many darkrai mirror matches...
  5. desufnoc

desufnoc Ditto used Transform!

It would be awesome if Jay were to write a tournament report
  6. isaiah1989

isaiah1989 Active Member

mr. Hornug, write a damn tournament report lol
  7. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

Haven't had a chance to watch it but, here's this deck in action in the Top 4 against Kevin Nance.
  8. Ein

Ein The Mega Man Master

Great games. Very worth watching, thanks for the footage.
  9. Zarco

Zarco Alternate format enthusiast

Great deck. Started testing it a bit on playtcg, and aggro/speed darkrai is very strong (this list is pretty solid for it), but when you throw in early-game mewtwos, the ability to win mewtwo wars, and late game shaymin/mewtwo plays to take huge KOs, this becomes one of the strongest Darkrai lists.
  10. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

I've been testing a lot with Jay's list against my friend for the past week or so. And during that testing, I've been able to pull off come from behind Mewtwo-Shaymin drops in the majority of our games. Being able to drop some Dark Patches then Celebration Wind 7-9 energy onto Mewtwo is just downright silly and I love it.
  11. MultX

MultX I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE TREVOR DECK

I am in love with this deck right now. I don't play with the exact same list, just changed 2 Tornaduses with 2 Mewtwos in my DMT lol.
  12. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Mr_Rumpleteezer Hovercat Mod Staff Member

I agree, baby_mario. This list is fantastic.

How does this fare out BLW on? No Shaymin/Smeargle seems to decrease the versatility of the deck a lot.
  13. Zarco

You can run... Virizion NVI and.... energy switch. Hm... And losing junk arm kills it just as much, but at least you can run Sableye I guess. Nope, this deck is dead after rotation, but we get Hydreigon DRE, which can and will utilize both Darkrai and Mewtwo.
  14. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

what is the main functional difference between this deck and regular Darkrai decks? the lack of Terrakion? and why cut terrakion? does it just run faster?
  15. MultX

Terrakion hurts consistency, and I didn't see Darkrai+Terrakion running DCE.

With this you have more emphasis on Mewtwo and Shaymin UL. That makes the deck more effective in Mewtwo wars and Shaymin can make Mewtwo possibly OHKO even Darkrai EX, if there are enough energy on the field. Mewtwo is so universally good. I didn't see Darkrai+Terrakion running DCEs, they rely on Energy Switch or Shaymin to make Mewtwo able to respond to other Mewtwo.
  16. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

so basically instead of taking a little hurt in the deck to have a sweet weapon against eels and other darkrai they just put WAY more emphasis on making Mewtwo good?

do you think Mew EX is gonan do anything in the next format with a deck like this or no?
  17. MultX

I didn't test the BW-on format at all, but I think Mew EX is not needed in this deck.
  18. Zarco

What would Mew EX do for this even? and This deck loses its whole engine BW-On, it's gonna die.
    Gelatin likes this.
  19. MultX

Not quite. You can use Sableye for unlimited energy switching or dark patching. But yeah, the deck will become weaker in comparison.
  20. Zarco

Well the engine really comes in the form of smeargle for Darkrai and shaymin for mewtwo