Tier 2 Darkrai-EX, Hydreigon DRX 97

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

Thinking about it, I really like Sigilyph in this. It does get taken down in one shot by mini-Yveltal, but I'm not sure many decks that run it would appreciate having to put three energy on it in order to do so. I think you could easily afford to drop a Darkrai in your deck for one. Squeezing in the Hammers would be tougher, though...
  2. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yeah, I've been playing around with my list for a couple of weeks now and can't seem to find a ton of room for Enhanced Hammer. Ideally I would like to have 1-2 copies in there as it would be really helpful against plasma decks.

Mini Xerneas/Yveltal is a pain to deal with when using Sigilyph. Your best bet is probably to erase them from the field with Yveltal EX first, then clean up their EX's with Sigilyph. Also like you said if they try to attack Sigilyph then they need to commit 3 energy to do so, which can hurt them if you manage a revenge KO. Although I'm still looking for a reason to use this deck over Aromatisse decks. I guess you have dark patch and Sableye but outside of that I don't see any real advantages that this stage 2 deck has over their stage 1 deck.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. ddbargardi

ddbargardi Active Member

A
    And a great attack.
  4. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

I agree. I think the only reason to play Hydreigon at this point is if you can figure out how to win the prize trade with Yveltal EX (Dragon Blast + Laser Bank or Night Spear snipe). You're left with two energy, but Yveltal EX only needs a Laser and three energy (or two with a Band/Claw) to revenge KO.

Man that thing is outrageously powerful.
  5. ribboninthewind

ribboninthewind floating effortlessly

I'm considering dismantling my Darkrai/Garbodor deck in order to build this. I run only one Yveltal EX in my DarkGarb deck, but I have three, and I'm itching to really use them. How do you think this deck would fair against Blastoise/Black Kyurem/Keldeo and TDK?
  6. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Against Blastoise this deck might have a few problems, your best bet it probably to spread out energy as much as you can and revenge KO their Pokemon with Yveltal EX. (Or Hydreigon if you can get two of them out.) I would also pack a Virzion EX, it will stop any HTL and can deal with Keldeo or Blastoise if things get too crazy. Although either way max potion is useless in this match up and it's probably in the Blue Turtle's favor.

Plasma is a much more hopeful match up, you can deny them energy with Enhanced Hammer and make Lugia EX go crying home with Yveltal EX. Although TDK is faster so you do have to be careful not to let them get too far ahead early on. Honestly I think this match up is a toss up/slightly in your favor.

Also remember; when in doubt, light things up with Yveltal EX. That card is so good. :p
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  7. ribboninthewind

ribboninthewind floating effortlessly

Yeah, Yveltal EX is incredible. I just can't find another good deck to fit him in. I think I'm going to stick with my DarkGarb deck running one Yveltal EX for back up.
  8. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

You could try just straight up Yveltal/Darkrai, although Garbador will probably still have a better match up against Blastoise/Rayboar. I feel like Hydreigon would do best in a field full of plasma pokemon, but that's just my opinion. :p
  9. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Except for when Lugia OHKOs your attackers anyways so Max Potion is still somewhat a dead card.
  10. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yeah that's true, although at the same time I think that Lugia OHKOs are a little over hyped. Getting and maintaining 3 Deoxys EX is a challenge in and of itself since that limits your bench space, while getting 4 out for 180 is extremely hard and means that they probably only have one attacker out there. Not to mention that with Tool Scrapper around power band probably wont be attached for more than 1-2 turns. I find that generally Lugia is hitting my pokemon for 140-160 damage which wont do anything against EX's unless they had previous damage on them. Also Lugia is way open for Yveltal to revenge KO it since it will have 3 energy on it after attacking.

Basically when facing Lugia I would send out a fresh darkrai, disrupt with Hammers/Tool Scrapper, and tank a hit if it decides to attack. Then Max potion and murder it with Yveltal. :p
  11. Professor_N

Having 3 Deoxys is really, really easy to accomplish. I agree the 4 Deoxys is a bit more difficult, but not rare by any means. You don't have to attach Muscle Band until you are using it to take the KO, and Skyla/Dowsing Machine are cards Lugia decks can use. This deck can combat a Lugia deck, but it would still be hard to deal with the OHKO factor that Lugia now has.

I think all in all, self-board damage manipulation decks (aka Energy Trans w/ Max Potion) took a big hit with this set by making OHKOs more common then before, and before 3 of the best decks in the format could easily OHKO, so that's saying something.
  12. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yeah looking back I did overemphasize how rare a Lugia OHKO actually is. However at the same time I don't think that Lugia can hit for 180 every game consistently, and if it can then it will only happen once or maybe twice before it runs out of steam. Although then again sometimes it only needs to attack twice to win. I wouldn't run more than 1-2 max potion in this deck anyways, because as you said most major decks can achieve a OHKO without too much difficulty. So therefore it is no surprise that tanking no longer plays a big role in this deck, but I do think that max potion isn't a dead card against Lugia. At least not in the same sense as it would be with Blastoise or Rayboar...
  13. Professor_N

You should have no less than 3 in this deck. That's it's best trait (being able to move Energy and then heal) and it can be useful in a lot of situations. Not a complete dead card in the Lugia match up as it can heal off a Raiden Knuckle or a 10 damage short Plasma Gale if you have the Hydreigon up.
  14. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I feel that running more than 2 copies of Max Potion in this deck is a pretty big liability if you run into a deck that can OHKO your EX's. While if you're against a deck that relies more on 2HKOs (Plasma, Darkrai, Greninja, etc.) 2 is just enough to get you by with Junk Hunt. However I do agree that in the latter example I often wish that I have 3+ max potion, but I'm not sure if risking that extra dead card against decks that can do 180 damage is worth the reward. This is a fine example of my insufficient testing/knowledge in our current format. Although a can say that I've run 3 in the past and it has worked out brilliantly, so you do have a good point there and I should try and experiment with more than 2 Max Potion. I'm just unsure about how often a OHKO scenario will be in the upcoming tournaments, which is why I made my (probably uneducated) statement about not running more than 2 Max Potion...

Edit: Now that I think about it, if I'm worried about decks that can OHKO my pokemon that much then I probably shouldn't be playing Hydreigon in the first place. So by that logic you are right, 3+ Max Potion is essential in this deck. Sorry about that... :/
  15. Professor_N

Keep in mind you can always dump off Max Potions with Ultra Ball and Dowsing Machine in the OHKO match ups.
    Reshiphlosion likes this.
  16. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

That's another very good point, dead max potions can be used as ultra ball fodder. Also the only match ups where Max Potion is truly dead are Emboar and Blastoise as far as I know; and even then if they happen to miss a OHKO by some rare chance then max potion could come in very handy. So unless those deck are running rampant in local areas this deck is relatively safe to play...
  17. Professor_N

I used a Potion before in a game vs. RayBoar to deny him from being able to KO my active with a 1 Energy Dragon Burst the following turn. You'd be surprised how much use cards can be sometimes.
  18. isaiah1989

isaiah1989 Active Member

what do you guys think of running M Charizard EX in hydreigon deck? dragon type
  19. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

It's just as easy (difficult) to run the Fire-type M-Charizard EX and I'd rather deal with it doing 50 damage to itself than discarding five cards each turn.
  20. Professor_N

Being able to KO everything in the game is good (300 damage), but when you take into consideration that Mega EXs in general actually suck, you will usually be doing 120 overkill damage, and the draw back means you either discard important cards or you set yourself up for a revenge KO the following turn.