Tier 2 Darkrai-EX, Hydreigon DRX 97

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I think that it's still competitive and can place well in any given tournament. However it's simply outclassed by Fairies and other Darkrai/Yveltal variants (not to mention that tanking isn't a super viable strategy anymore) which is why it can't really pull in any major wins.
  2. infamizjoker

infamizjoker New Member

Well now that flashfire is out can hydreigon make a comeback ?
  3. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

What does Flashfire add to the deck? I don't think there's much if any.
  4. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

It does give us Druddigon, which is a potential tech for Blastoise and RayBoar, two horrific matchups for Hydreigon.
  5. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

It also gives other players Druddigon, which cleanly picks off a Hydreigon and reduces its viability as an attacker.
  6. Wrags23

Although Hydreigon isn't the main attacker in this deck, whereas the Blastoise player will be attacking most of the time with BKEX.
  7. infamizjoker

infamizjoker New Member

It gives hydreigon Lysander to pick who to ko
  8. CyrusTyler

But why would you attack with Hydreigon? I can see the lure of 140+Bangle+Laser, but his Ability is more useful when he's a bench warmer. We've got Yveltal to work with now for attacks.
  9. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

You attack with Hydreigon because Hydreigon's attack is good. Successful Hydreigon lists from this season (most notably those of Colin Moll) have included Silver Bangle and focused on the power of Dragonblast. Getting an OHKO on a Pokémon-EX with a non-EX Pokémon is always strong.
  10. Wrags23

Yes, Hydreigon is a big time attacker in this deck. Dragonblast is very good for the reasons @Chaostamer just stated. I have tried a version with no Blend GRPD Energy, but I feel that it needs to be able to use Dragonblast. With my comment above I was referring to the fact that Blastoise will be relying on BKEX a lot more than this deck relies on Hydreigon for this matchup because Keldeo EX can be destroyed by Yveltal EX.
  11. infamizjoker

infamizjoker New Member

So with the new cards out can hydreigon be competitive and wat cards would help him[DOUBLEPOST=1400744561][/DOUBLEPOST]Also do anyone think hydreigon / darkrai / dusknoir would work orvis that to much?
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  12. CyrusTyler

I think it would instantly lose to Garb decks. It would also require the deck not achieving OHKOs so you can maximize damage on the field and use Dusknoir to its maximum potential. It's entirely possible, but I think the two evolution lines would hurt consistency.
  13. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

Are you sure about this? If the Hydreigon player is able to get a quick Yveltal EX and KOs at least 2 Trubbish, it is a very achievable matchup.
  14. CyrusTyler

If being the operative word, as usual. My point is that as soon as Garbodor locks down the field, a HydreDarkNoir deck instantly loses all steam. No free retreat. No Max Potion shenanigans. No damage manipulation. You could always sit there and Night Spear turn after turn until you win or until you draw into a Megaphone/Scrapper.

The match is entirely winnable, don't get me wrong. I just think it would be extremely difficult or you'd have to play your Megaphones/Scrappers very carefully, or both.
  15. PokemonGeek

Yes, it is hard. But a fast start changes all that.
  16. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

Garb 90% of the time is faster than you.
  17. PokemonGeek

Yea, I guess.
  18. isaiah1989

isaiah1989 Active Member

did hydeigon get reprinted? For rotation
  19. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

In LTR.