Combustion Blast Charizard EX (12/106)/Pyroar Deck (Flashfire)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by thflame, Apr 27, 2014.

1. thflame

thflame Member

So far, it's pretty awesome. I rarely have draw issues. I can have more search cards to grab stuff I need. I can snatch up Pyroar counters whenever I need to and energy accelerate when I don't. It's just a lot less clunky.

I used to run into the "I need to Sycamore/N/Colress/etc. and hope for a Blacksmith for next turn and a Lysandre for the turn after that" problem. Now, I usually have a Blacksmith or a Lysandre in my hand whenever I need it.

I still have the occasional issue with wanting to Blacksmith AND Lysandre in one turn, but being behind one turn is better than being behind 2.[DOUBLEPOST=1406940253][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Honestly, I discard the one I play about half the time anyway.
  2. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

I would drop the Firey Torch for 3 Sycamore and 2 Lysandre, a Pal Pad and the last Firely Torch for four Catcher, that's just me though.
  3. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

Hi guys, this is the list I've been testing recently and it's been working quite well so far:

3-3 Pyroar
    2 Charizard Ex
    1 Mewtwo Ex
    1-1 Electrode

4 Juniper
    2 N
    2 Lysandre
    3 Blacksmith

4 Roller Skates
    3 Bicycle
    4 Switch
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Level Ball
    1 Pal Pad
    1 Computer search

8 Fire energies
    4 DCE

It looks pretty similar to the one Pramawat brought to Nationals and ended up at second place. My doubts regard mostly the Supporter-Item line. I was thinking of dropping the bicycles because with a benched Electrode, they become pretty useless. Then, I was also thinking about replacing N with Colress and raise to 2-2 the Electrode line thanks to the 3 spots left by dropping bicycle, the other spot might be taken by Megaphone in one copy.
    What do you think about these changes?? I'm open to any other suggestion, so feel free to write your opinions about the list!!
  4. themiraclemeat

themiraclemeat Active Member

5. Tax_collecter

Here is my Pyroar based Charizard deck:

Pokemon: 14
    4-4 Pyroar
    2 Charizard EX
    1 Mewtwo EX
    1 Jirachi EX
    1-1 Electrode

Supporters: 18
    4 Sycmore
    3 Blacksmith
    2 N
    2 Lysandre
    4 Roller Skates
    3 Bicycle

Trainers: 16
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Catcher
    4 Switch
    3 Muscle Band
    1 Computer Search

Energy: 12
    8 Fire
    4 DCE

Made with next BCR-on in mind.
  6. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

I see how it is. Charizard is always more important, even if it is not the divas of the deck! :mad:
  7. Tax_collecter

Uhhh...
  8. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

Yeah! This is what our world has come too!
  9. thflame

thflame Member

Do you have a better attacker to deal with Pyroar counters?o_O

I get what you're saying though. Pyroar really is the star. Pyroar is going to win 90% of your games.

Charizard is there for decks like Empoleon.
  10. Tax_collecter

This is the Charizard thread and it uses two Charizard's for things like you said, and for getting big numbers out on the board, so I felt like I should say Pyroar based.
  11. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

Honestly, I' ve never had issues in getting energies but I'll follow your suggestions and see how the deck works... ho wmany energies would you run?? What do you think about dropping the Pal Pad?? And what about 2-2 Electrode and the Bicycle drop?? Also, do you see any item replacement for Level Ball??
  12. themiraclemeat

Too many flippy cards. I really like having electrode in this deck, 2-2 is what I like.

I posted my list a page back, but I'll post it again with BCR-on in mind:

Pokémon (15)
    3-3 Pyroar
    2 Charizard EX
    1 Mewtwo EX
    2-2 Electrode PLF
    2 Emolga LTR

Supporter/Draw (18)
    3 Juniper
    3 N
    4 Blacksmith
    4 Lysandre
    4 Bicycle

Items (16)
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Level Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Lasers
    3 Professor's Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy (14)
    10 9 Fire
    4 DCE

I go through energy rather quickly in this deck, I mean the main goal is to have two in the discard at all times so Blacksmith is at maximum effectiveness. Therefore I wouldn't have anything less then 9 basic energies. I haven't tested the level ball-less version yet but I really like the deck with level ball cause it grabs the electrode line.

If anything drop the electrode line and keep the bicycle.
  13. Tax_collecter

Emolga are not needed at all, the two spaces can go towards better things.
  14. thflame

thflame Member

It's your deck, call it whatever you want. When I started this thread, my intent WAS a Charizard EX deck with Pyroar to counter the big basics. It just happened that Pyroar became more important than Charizard. If we see a shift from Big Basics, Charizard will become more important.
  15. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

If you want to run a Call of family pokemon (Not recommended) I would highly recommend Dedenne. Its just like emolga but has a built in yveltal/lugia counter.
  16. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

Doesn't do an amazing job at that, but yes, it's a lot better than emolga.
  17. themiraclemeat

Two things: One Dedenne's weakness is fighting where Emolga's weakness is lighting. Therefore Landorus and Landorus EX wreaks Dedenne. The second thing is the retreat cost, Dedenne has a one retreat cost, Emolga's is freeeeeee.

I pick Emolga. Scratch that, I pick level ball, but BCR-on rotates level ball. If anyone else has a better suggestion for a replacement level ball like card, I'm all ears.
  18. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

To be honest, in this format they will get OHKO'd anyhow, and if you discard a fire energy with dedenne, you fuel black smith.
    Tax_collecter likes this.
  19. thflame

thflame Member

Either Emolga or just deal without a free search method. Maybe Pokemon Fan Club if you don't mind burning a supporter slot.

Personally, I don't think Emolga is worth the space in this deck. I don't think Level Ball is either for that matter. I just play 4 Ultra Ball. They are almost always useful and it's another way to discard [R] energy.

If you want a free search method, use Emolga.[DOUBLEPOST=1407372769][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Emolga is just better than Dedenne on so many levels.

1) If Emolga get's KOed, the [R] energy still ends up in the discard pile.

2) Emolga resists [F] (the next big type) and is weak to [L] (so basically Thundurus). Dedenne resists [M] (not at all common) and is weak to [F]. You will be more likely to get multiple attacks off with Emolga than Dedenne.

3) Emolga grants free retreat. This makes it good for Switch/Retreat. Pyroar needs to get out of Poison and Charizard needs to reset Combustion Blast.

4) Pyroar doesn't need an Yveltal counter. It needs a Garbodor counter. (the reason this deck runs Lysandre/Catcher) Even so, Dedenne isn't THAT good against Yveltal.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    themiraclemeat likes this.
  20. Tax_collecter

Neither of them are needed at all in this deck, but Dedenne can rack up quick, cheap damage, which is why it outclasses Emolga IMO.