Combustion Blast Charizard EX (12/106)/Pyroar Deck (Flashfire)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by thflame, Apr 27, 2014.

1. themiraclemeat

themiraclemeat Active Member

I got a question, when you get a combustion blast off, how fast did you need to have the second combustion blast ready? Was it the next turn or could you have waited a turn then used combustion blast again? Basically how important was having one Keldeo EX and 2 Floats? The standard I used in my Ninetales/Munna deck was 2 Keldeo EX and 3 Floats to avoid negative conditions.
  2. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

In the few games I played, it was never crucial that I got off back-to-back Combustion Blasts with the same Charizard. The Charizard was either revenge killed after that (thus allowing me to promote a Pyroar) or I had time to simply hit for 2 Wing Attacks or in one case against the Greninja/Miltank deck, use his Tropical Beach. Using that turn to Mega Evolve is also an option.

I did use Keldeo/Float a few times throughout the tournament, but it was usually to get out of poison/sleep. I think I only used it for 2 straight Combustion Blasts once.

Luckily, if your Charizard IS revenge killed, that means at least 2 fires are going to the discard, thus all that is needed is a DCE and a Blacksmith and you're right back in it with another one. Jirachi saved me in this scenario several times. Given that a ball can fetch you a Lysandre or a Blacksmith in a clutch spot late game, I wouldn't advocate taking him out for anything. Jirachi was amazing for me.
  3. themiraclemeat

I agree the DCE and Blacksmith combo is really sweet. 150 dmg from two cards plus Charizard! I added a few level balls (in combination with Electrode to add draw support) just so I don't have to discard to grab Jirachi EX.
  4. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

Never considered Electrode. Hmm. Just a 1-1 line? Have you tested it?
  5. themiraclemeat

I am in the process of testing currently. I cut the Keldeo EX and Floats to make room for Electrode and added another Blacksmith because it's energy acceleration is great with Charizard.
  6. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

Anyone cheap like me and tried Pyroar with Reshiram laser bank and Bangles. So far deck is running good hits for 180 and just spam blacksmith for energy I believe a decent alternative
  7. thflame

thflame Member

I tried it with Reshiram EX and Fliptini. I prefer Charizard EX with Keldeo EX.

I'll have to give baby Reshiram a try, although it seems like a lot of cards are needed to attack every turn.
  8. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

It can be needs more testing but I don't see it being too hard to make the deck work with Pal Pad. I cut Keldeo EX and floats have a switch and a Escape Rope. I just like the fact I can one shot any non mega yes I need one more card to do it. Also when im ko'ed im not giving u two prizes. Just a fun cheaper deck will see
  9. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

List please. Seems pretty good though.
  10. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

Pokemon 13

4-4 Pyroar
    3 Reshiram
    1 Druddigon
    1 Jirachi EX

Supporters 12
    3 Juniper
    4 N
    1 Colress
    3 Blacksmith
    1 Lysandre

Item 23
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Startling Megaphone
    1 Switch
    1 Pal Pad
    1 Super Rod
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine
    3 Silver Bangle
    1 Escape Rope
    3 Fiery Torch
    2 Virbank
    4 Lasers

Energy (12)
    10 Fire
    2 DCE

My List I just edited a bit today was thinking about cutting down Pyroar to 3-3 and add maybe another Reshiram or Skyla maybe something else will see. Not the best but I think a fun little take with Pyroar
  11. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

I'm looking for some help with my Charizard deck, I think a Pyroar based deck is the approach to take, but I don't know what a proper list would look like, this is what I run right now:

Pokemon: 12
    4 Charizard EX
    2 Keldeo EX
    2-2 Pyroar
    1 Drudigon
    1 Jirachi EX

Supporters: 21
    4 Juniper
    4 Blacksmith
    4 Flame Torch
    4 Roller Skates
    3 Bicycle
    1 Lysandre

Trainers: 15
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone
    2 Laser
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Town Map
    1 Professors Letter
    1 Dowsing Mech

Energy: 12
    8 Fire
    4 DCE
  12. themiraclemeat

With 4 DCE, Mewtwo is never a bad card to add a one of. Replace tool scrapper with megaphone. Think about adding Catcher too, maybe drop 1 blacksmith and 1 flame torch and add 2 catchers. I actually don't like torch at all, ultra ball/dowsing machine is a much better way to discard fire energy for blacksmith. Maybe 3 torches for 3 N. Also consider using Switch instead of float stone, switches cannot be megaphoned away.
  13. Tax_collecter

Tool Scrapper is better then Megaphone in this deck incase you have to attach a Float Stone to something other then Keldo and later need to put a Muscle Band on it. I haven't been too fond of Torches either, so I droped all of them, 3 N is to high for me, I only use 2 as of now.
  14. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

Here's the list I threw together about 10 minutes before the LCQ on Saturday at Nats, and went on to go 5-1-3 for 26th place. There's a few things I'd change after running it for 9 rounds, but this is what I rolled with.

Pokémon (14)
    4-3 Pyroar
    2 Charizard EX
    1 Mewtwo EX
    2-2 Electrode PLF

Supporter/Draw (17)
    4 Juniper
    3 N
    3 Blacksmith
    4 Bicycle
    1 Fiery Torch
    2 Lysandre

Items (16)
    3 Pokémon Catcher
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Switch
    1 Startling Megaphone
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Pal Pad
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy (13)
    9 Fire
    4 DCE

The Electrodes were the MVPs for me. That card won me multiple games. I was able to be a lot more liberal in discarding for Ultra/Dowsing (throwing away Junipers/Ns), because I had Electrode and Pal Pad to fall back on. I've never found Torches horribly useful, and ended up just running the single copy in this list, which I'd probably take out for my next iteration. I would have liked access to a few more Switches and maybe some Level Balls at times, so I'd try to bump that those a bit next time if possible. Otherwise, this ran pretty smooth for me if I could get an Electrode out during the first 3-4 turns of the game.
  15. themiraclemeat

I would totally drop that torch for another Lysandre. The biggest strength in this deck is being able to gust threats at will, like Garbodor and Raichu. Nice list too, thanks.
  16. Tax_collecter

Yeah, that's what a forgot to mention, I do have 2 Lysandre now.
  17. themiraclemeat

Pokémon (13)
    3-3 Pyroar
    2 Charizard EX
    1 Mewtwo EX
    2-2 Electrode PLF

Supporter/Draw (18)
    3 Juniper
    3 N
    4 Blacksmith
    4 Lysandre
    4 Bicycle

Items (16)
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Level Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Lasers
    3 Professor's Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy (13)
    9 Fire
    4 DCE

This is my current list. The draw support is awesome, electrode with bicycles is powerful, also being able to hit for 170 or 180 in one turn is great too. (Charizard EX with muscle band and/or laser, powered by a DCE and a Blacksmith, soul crushing).
  18. thflame

thflame Member

I was having consistency issues with a heavy supporter line. I would like to spend my Supporter on either a Blacksmith or a Lysandre every turn.

My options were:

1) Magnazone - Requires too much space in a deck where space is already tight.
    2) Replace Lysandre with Catcher - I NEED gust effects to work/at the time I only ran 2 Lysandre.
    3) Drop the Supporter based draw support in favor of Item based draw support - which I ended up doing.

Basically, I now have more space for Lysandre and Blacksmith and it feels more consistent.

What do you guys think? (This deck is also designed with next rotation in mind)

Pokemon: 11

3 Charizard EX
    4-4 Pyroar

Trainers: 37

1 Prof. Sycamore
    4 Blacksmith
    4 Lysandre

4 Roller Skates ]
    4 Bicycle } - Draw Support
    4 Fiery Torch ]
    4 Muscle Band
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Switch
    2 Prof. Letter
    1 Escape Rope
    1 Pal Pad
    1 Computer Search ACE SPEC

Energy: 12

8 Fire
    4 DCE
  19. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

That list looks very interesting. Totally against the norm for drawing cards. Let us know how it works for you...
  20. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I would take out Pal Pad, Escape Rope, and one Letter for 3 more Sycamores.