Tier 2 CMT - Celebi Prime, Mewtwo-EX, Tornadus EP

Discussion in 'HS-on Archives' started by baby_mario, May 10, 2012.

1. ussgordoncaptain

ussgordoncaptain Skeptical of new cards

and here's mine and later (say in an hour) i'll pick apart the differences between our decklists
    4Celebi (TR 92)
    3Mewtwo EX (ND 98)
    2Tornadus-EX (DE 90)
    2Terrakion (NV 99)
    1Smeargle (CL 21)
    1Shaymin (UL 8)

4Professor Juniper (BW 101)
    4Professor Oak's New Theory (HGSS 101)
    4Junk Arm (TR 87)
    3Dual Ball (CL 78)
    2Skyarrow Bridge (ND 91)
    4Switch (HGSS 102)
    3Pokemon Catcher (EP 95)
    2Super Scoop Up (BW 103)
    4Random Receiver (DE 99)
    2Eviolite (NV 91)
    1Energy Search (BW 93)
    1Energy Retrieval (BW 92)

4Double Colorless Energy (HGSS 103)
    6Grass Energy (CL 88)
    3Fighting Energy (HGSS 120)
    1Mewtwo EX (ND 98)
    1 Tornadus EX
    1Terrakion (NV 99)
    1Professor Oak's New Theory (HGSS 101)
    2Super Scoop Up (BW 103)
    2Random Receiver (DE 99)

His differences
    Pokemon
    1 Regigigas EX
    1 Shaymin EX
    2 Pluspower
    1 Super Rod
    2 N
    1 Pokemon Catcher
    So the main differences in terms of catagories
    Terrakion Mewtwo EX tornadus EX vs Regigigas and Shaymin EX
    So this is the level of difference where it mostly comes down to personal preference. The third Mewtwo EX allows for a instant win button once one gets ahead by a sufficient amount. In the version that is trying to be more agressive this is extremely useful and important. Tornadus EX again improves the agressive approach, being of course one of the more powerful early game attackers. The 2nd terrakion while it has diminishing utility since the first gives great power while the second is a minor boost, again relies on an aggressive stance on the game. With 2 Terrakions you are trying to put pressure on Dakrai/Zeels, because a Terrakion is terrible unless it is supported by pressure from the rest of the pokemon. Regigigas EX meanwhile is a tank of a pokemon, it force the opponent to react and play a very different game. Since attacking into this beast with anything other than Terrakion NVI is scary. Most of the time, the opponent will try to Catcher around Regigigas EX and fight every other pokemon, Regigigas EX is not a wall of death, but what it does is force the opponent to play more defensive. because Regigigas's second attack OHKOS most things. Shaymin EX is a good Cleaner with N support. Shaymin EX can allow you to gain a endgame win combined with N if your opponent doesn't have the strongest Board.
    So on the broad scale it's a pure aggro version versus a more tricky plan

4th Pokemon Catcher and 2 Pluspower Vs 2 Super scoop up
    Super scoop up is a high Risk High reward card for getting back in close games. If the agression plan fails, in order to come back one needs to have a backup plan that can gain lots of tempo. Super scoop up provides that. Meanwhile the 4th catcher is good if you want to disrupt more. The 2 pluspower are good for random OHKOs like Tornadus EX OHKOing Smeargle with Blow through.
  2. ussgordoncaptain

Finally there is the supporter line, 4 Juniper 4 PONT 4 RR vs 4 Juniper 4 PONT 2 N and 2 RR
    This again stems from the same reason as before, since this version of CMT is aggro, it only plays the best draw supporters, meanwhile the more toolbox control one plays N which is more about disruption than it is about Draw
  3. coolestman22

coolestman22 Now Has Techron

I know this is an old post, but seriously, how is it a good tech?
  4. ussgordoncaptain

umm. spreading damage i think? The idea might be to spread the damage that was already dealt by Tornadus EX/M2EX
  5. pkmn

pkmn that's when I won nats

My current list:

Pokemon:
    3 Celebi
    3 Mewtwo
    1 Tornadus EX
    2 Tornadus
    1 Regigigas
    1 Smeargle
    1 Shaymin
    1 Terrakion

T/S/S
    4 Juniper
    4 PONT
    3 N

4 Catcher
    3 Dual Ball
    4 Junk Arm
    2 Plus Power
    2 Random Receiver
    3 Switch
    1 Eviolite
    1 Energy Search

3 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy:
    3 Fighting
    6 Grass
    4 DCE

As of June, I've been only playing against DARKRAI, and its not an unfavorable matchup AT ALL. Your early game plan would be 2HKOing darkrai with tornadus ex, you HAVE to have Eviolite to make this work. Usually after Power Blast, I'd retreat to Tornadus EPO and hit for the remaining 80. that way you can preserve your tornadus ex, nd at the best, set you up for 3 EX KOs enough to win the game. The next choice early game would be Regigigas, also, have eviolite on him to control the damage to an extent, if your opponent has dark claw, thats even better, he can hit youfor 110 after you use Giga Power to damage yourself, making the damage on you 130 enough to OHKO a darkrai with raging Hammer. When that dies kill the remains with Terrakion, If he promotes Tornadus, that's no problem, you'll just use Mewtwo, who is superior in terms of damage. This should be tier 1
  6. ussgordoncaptain

It is the Third best deck in the format but not the best deck, it is in limbo between tier 1 and tier 2.
  7. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

will this still be able to be a deck when HG/SS rotates? will Shaymen be good enough to replace Celibi?
  8. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod. Staff Member

Nope. Deck is dead without celebi.
  9. coolestman22

I'm testing Ho-oh EX/Mewtwo EX/Tornadus, but it just isn't the same.
  10. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

Does this deck basicly want the match to fall into a metwtwo battle that you know you'll win?
  11. coolestman22

Not necessarily, it uses Tornadus and it won't always win. That's why Zeels won all the Regionals (Except Pleasonton which was won by Durant trollo)
  12. Rowan

Rowan Rum Pirate

lol durant? thats funneh