E-on Blaziken (Blaziken/Delcatty)

Discussion in 'Archetypes of the Past' started by Chaostamer, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Decks based around Blaziken RS 3 were arguably the most dominant archetype in the 2003-2004 season. Focusing on Blaziken's Firestarter Poké-Power, the deck consistently recycles Fire Energy to fuel powerful attacks. The standard attackers in this deck are Blaziken ex and Rayquaza ex; the former can deal 100 damage to any Pokémon, great for sniping vulnerable Benched Pokémon, and the latter can OHKO anything given enough Energy. The deck also typically runs Delcatty RS 5, whose Energy Draw gives the deck a nice consistency boost, drawing through the deck and fueling Firestarter.

This is the list Chris Fulop played at Worlds 2004, losing in the Finals to Yamato.

---Pokémon (24)---
    4 Dunsparce SS
    4 Torchic RS 74
    2 Combusken RS 28
    3 Blaziken RS 3
    2 Blaziken ex
    2 Skitty RS 71
    2 Delcatty RS 5
    1 Rayquaza ex DR
    1 Team Aqua's Electrike (MA 53)
    1 Team Aqua's Manectric (MA 4)
    1 Oddish HL 68
    1 Bellossom HL 16

---Trainer (20)---
    4 Steven's Advice
    4 Copycat
    3 Oracle
    1 Professor Elm's Training Method
    1 Town Volunteers
    1 Pokémon Nurse

4 Rare Candy
    1 Friend Ball
    1 Switch

---Energy (16)---
    10 Fire Energy
    3 Multi Energy
    2 Lightning Energy
    1 Warp Energy

True to the name "Blaziken Tech," this deck has a lot of stuff going for it. The Dunsparce, Blaziken, and Delcatty lines are standard. Team Aqua's Manectric is a nice tech here, allowing you to drop Energy on it via Firestarter, then move it to your active Pokémon, circumventing the need to consistently retreat attackers. Bellossom is a bit more interesting. At U.S. Nationals that year, decks based around Walrein HL became prominent. Walrein was hyped as a Blaziken counter, but Bellossom gives Walrein a lot of trouble. Walrein's attack deals a flat 50 damage, but Bellossom--due to Water-resistance--takes only 20. Then its Heal Dance Poké-Power removes this 20, leaving Bellossom fully healed. Since Walrein decks often low counts of Warp Point--if any--Bellossom could wall the deck and take six prizes all by itself. The tech also proves useful in the Magma matchup, effectively undoing a Linear Attack from Team Magma's Groudon and generally softening the deck's damage output.

A 4/4 Steven's Advice/Copycat split gives the deck solid draw options no matter the opponent's board position. Oracle has excellent synergy with Delcatty, placing two key cards on top of the deck that you can immediately Energy Draw into. This provides a tremendous midgame consistency boost and is key to getting out the many Evolved Pokémon on which this deck relies. You can also use Oracle to grab another Oracle, setting up a chain that gives you the ideal card in your deck for a few turns running.

Town Volunteers helps to offset the low counts of some Pokémon, giving you an extra Rayquaza ex, Blaziken, or Bellossom, as the need may be, and Pokémon Nurse can be clutch for wiping a ton of damage off a Blaziken ex. They're both one-ofs, as the deck can search them out when they're needed.

The deck runs a good number of Energy cards largely to help fuel Energy Draw. Warp Energy serves the dual purpose of switching an active Pokémon and fueling Delcatty's Power; since the deck has so much Energy acceleration, using your attachment for the turn on Warp Energy is a small cost. The Multi Energy allows Bellossom, Rayquaza ex, and Team Aqua's Manectric to attack.

Though Blaziken didn't lose much from the 2004 rotation to Ruby & Sapphire-on (the biggest casualty is Oracle), the deck fell out of favor in the 2004-2005 season as more powerful decks began to emerge.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Adam likes this.
  2. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Mr_Rumpleteezer Hovercat Mod Staff Member

Fulop says he would have certainly ran at least one more Friend Ball as well as a Desert Shaman in this list!
  3. Chaostamer

Yeah, Shaman would be great in this deck, and Friend Ball is surprisingly effective. I'm going to mess with squeezing those cards in.
  4. SheepInSpace

SheepInSpace Italian PokéDad

I bought this deck and Yamato's Magma Spirit thanks to this forum's suggestions. It is a lot of fun. Trouble is, both Blaziken ex and Rayquaza ex are susceptible to Desert Ruins (which Magma runs 3 of) and they're both hit for weakness by Claydol and Zangoose respectively. Bellossom helps a lot though, both because of Heal Dance and 'cause Groudon is weak to grass. Normal Blaziken is a decent attacker too. So far, it seems that the matchup is a bit in favor of Magma, which also runs 3 Pokémon Reversal, but this deck has answers anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how many Blazikens I should play down in the ideal set up, among other things.
  5. Chaostamer

Well, Magma beat Blaziken in the finals for a reason, right? ;)

The ideal board for Blaziken in most matchups is 2 Blaziken, 1 Blaziken ex, 1 Team Aqua's Manectric, 1 Delcatty, and 1 Bellossom. Obviously that takes some work to setup, but it puts Blaziken in a very solid position once it's all established. Prioritize the Delcatty in almost every matchup; in Magma, you probably want to prioritize Bellossom instead to keep their damage output down. To beat Magma, I recommend using Blaziken ex to snipe their Claydol repeatedly. They can only two-shot your Blaziken ex with Groudon or Zangoose and you have Pokémon Nurse. Once their Claydol are gone, they lose a lot of flexibility and you can target down their Energy to win. It's a matchup wherein you probably win if you get set up, but their gameplan is to ruin your setup, so it's tricky.
    SheepInSpace likes this.
  6. Chaostamer

Drew Holton's list, which placed Top 8 at Worlds 2004.

---Pokémon (26)---
    4 Dunsparce SS
    4 Torchic DR
    1 Combusken RS 27
    1 Combusken RS 28
    3 Blaziken RS 3
    2 Blaziken ex
    3 Skitty RS 44
    3 Delcatty RS 5
    1 Rayquaza ex DR
    1 Magnemite DR 62
    1 Magneton DR 17
    1 Oddish EX
    1 Bellossom HL

---Trainer (18)---
    4 Oracle
    3 Copycat
    2 Steven's Advice
    2 Professor Elm's Training Method
    1 Desert Shaman

4 Rare Candy
    1 Switch
    1 Friend Ball

---Energy (16)---
    12 Fire Energy
    2 Multi Energy
    1 Lightning Energy
    1 Warp Energy
    darkwings likes this.
  7. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Not trying to nitpick, but this line confused me a bit (the rest made sense and aligned with my own memories of the deck). Both Steven's Advice and Copycat are directly dependent upon the opponent. What helped the deck even when the opponent's hand and/or field was lacking was Delcatty.
  8. Chaostamer

That was sloppy writing. My apologies. What I was getting at was that, at any point in the game, one of those two Supporters was likely to be useful. You played back in 2004 and 2005. I'm sure you remember the constant balancing act of hand and board management. And quite often, you either had a larger Bench or a larger hand. It was difficult, once the game got rolling, to effectively limit both so you could control your opponent's Supporter options.

But you're right. Delcatty is your source of draw independent of the opponent's position. But like Copycat and Steven's Advice, it's imperfect since it requires you to discard the Energy you might need to attach that turn. (One of the big strengths of Drew's list is the Magneton, removing that issue.) It's really the combination of those three sources of drawpower that makes this deck consistent. Thanks for calling me out on my inadequate explanation.
  9. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining in detail.