Tier 1 Blastoise - Blastoise BCR, Keldeo EX, Black Kyurem EX, Techs

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Ziggmiceter, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I really hope you meant Black Kyurem BCR. Either way, the only reason that card is even played is to have a sweeper in the mirror/Rayboar match ups. You can't sweep with Druddigon, you can only retaliate.
  2. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

Whoops, got that corrected. I think that it is still worth it because with the two Energy you save on setting up Druddigon, you can start getting your BKEX set up to revenge the Druddigon, and in the end, you've won the Prize trade. I've tested both a lot, and found the Druddigon much more convenient in the Rain Dance matchup.
  3. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

Black Kyurem BCR has many uses aside from Dragons. Safeguard is a big one.

One very clutch play in the mirror is Catcher+KO'ing a BKEX with Black Kyurem BCR. You can't do that with Druddigon.

The two energy vs four energy is frankly not much of an issue for this deck. It sounds better on paper, but in practice, if you can get two energy, you can get four 99% of the time.
  4. Wrags23

Professor N stated that the only reason that card is EVER played is to have a sweeper in the mirror /RayBoar match ups. I was responding to that, and I know that it can be useful in other instances (I've used Baby Black Kyurem in competition before). However, Druddigon can also be useful for other purposes, too, like revenging Raichu and other low-HP attackers. Overall, I think that Black Kyurem EX and Keldeo EX are good enough sweepers in themselves that you don't necessarily need another one. A nice tech attacker like Druddigon does just fine.
  5. KPiplup

Did I quote your post? No.

I wasn't necessarily talking to you.
  6. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

How do you reckon I should run BKEX now Druddigons out?
  7. tonenkyra

tonenkyra Squirtle Squad!

Same as usual. But just use keldeo ex to deal with druddigon
  8. PokemonGeek

So no bkex? Or 3 keldeo, 2 bird? Dnk what your saying
  9. tonenkyra

Just play your blastoise Build as usual. Just make your plays wiser. You see druddigon, prepare a keldeo. If you knock out your opponents ex with bkex, they will prolly revenge ko your bkex anyways. At which point, you secret sword their druddigon.

Or you could tech in a druddigon of your own for mirror matches and anything else that druddigon can ko
  10. PokemonGeek

Ah makes sense. Thanks @tonenkyra
  11. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member Staff Member

The problem here is that Yveltal-EX just loves to see a three-Energy Keldeo-EX and you could very easily be down four Prizes in quick succession. Before taking out their Druddigon, hope you have an N and that it sticks.

It might just be better to Black Ballista the Druddigon.
    jeffrey3421 likes this.
  12. tonenkyra

Very true. But for the opponent to have that ideal hand on the ready is all luck. Yveltal EX can only do 120 base before any other factors come into play. And if they do not KO the keldeo, then you manually retreat it and KO their Yveltal EX with BKEX and then you could be up in prizes.

Or you could just Black Ballista their Druddigon if in a bind or can afford the KO.

N becomes a good friend of yours against these cards.

It all boils down to how prepared you are to this kind of match up.
  13. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

3-1-3 Blastoise
    2 Keldeo EX
    2 Black Kyurem EX
    2-2 Delphox

4 Skyla
    3 Juniper
    3 N
    2 Colress

4 Rare Candy
    4 Superior Energy Retrieval
    4 Ultra Ball
    1 Professor's Letter
    2 Level Ball
    2 Float Stone
    2 Startling M Phone
    1 Dowsing Machine

10 Water
    3 Lightning

This is my take on my Blastoise deck. It's pretty good. What do you guys think?
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  14. Wrags23

A few things that I noticed 1) You need more attackers. 2 Keldeo and 2 BKEX aren't going to be enough, definitely without Super Rod or Sacred Ash to get them back. A lot of decks run 3 of one, 2 of the other, and 1 other tech attacker, like Suicune, Baby Black Kyurem, or Druddigon. 2) Electrode is much better than Delphox. Yes, Delphox gives you those two extra cards, but usually Magnetic Draw gets you what you need. Also a Stage 1, so much, much faster. The Voltorb from XY is also a benefit, and can come in handy a lot. You can also cut your Candy count down to 3. 3) This isn't exactly necessary, but I like having at least one Lysandre in Blastoise. Can be so clutch and win many games in conjunction with Black Kyurem EX. 4) 2 Professor's Letter really is a must in here... a lot of good Blastoise decks have started running 3-4 as it increases their chance of a T2 Black Ballista. 5) You don't need Float Stone in this deck... You can Rush In, retreat, and use either Superior Energy Ret. or Energy Ret. to get back when you need it... trust me, it works. 6) You really need a counter Stadium. If it isn't Tropical Beach, things like Battle City or Pokemon Center work well in the deck. But if you run into a Plasma deck with Frozen City and have no way of countering it, you WILL lose. If you need to know where the space can be made, you can afford to cut an Energy, you should cut 2 Float Stone, and one Rare Candy if you switch to a 2-2 Electrode.
  15. Cobalt314

Cobalt314 Cybernetic Superconductor

What stadium are Blastoise decks going to run now that Tropical Beach is rotated out of the format?
  16. tonenkyra

Has it been confirmed that beaches will be out this coming rotation?
  17. KPiplup

BCR-on, BW-56-on.

This rotation is probably the end for Blastoise as a viable deck. Beach was essential, Level Ball is gone, Druddigon is here, and Keldeo shares a weakness with the hyped Seismatoad EX. Pretty much the end.
    Salamencetrainer34 likes this.
  18. tonenkyra

Wow, well then. Don't even know what to say. I know stoise was an autopilot deck but I loved it cuz it was water pokemon, which I love. guess, I'll hafta jeep my eyes peeled for something similar. Thanks for the info.
  19. tonenkyra

Btw, what's the effective date for the said rotation?
  20. KPiplup

September 3rd. Also the first day Furious Fists is legal.