Tier 1 Blastoise - Blastoise BCR, Keldeo EX, Black Kyurem EX, Techs

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Ziggmiceter, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

This is the thread for all Blastoise variants. Techs is added to the end in case of a new partner to go with the deck. Strategy is to set up a Blastoise ASAP and start using Black Ballista, with Keldeo as a good backup attacker and support. My current list:
    [spoiler=Click for decklist]
    Pokemon: 14
    4 Squirtle BCR
    4 Blastoise BCR
    3 Keldeo EX
    2 Black Kyurem EX PLS
    1 Mr. Mime
    I/S/S - 33
    4 Juniper
    3 N
    4 Skyla
    1 Caitlin

3 Tropical Beach

4 Rare Candy
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Superior Energy Retreival
    1 Energy Search
    1 Computer Search
    1 Max Potion

Energy - 12
    9 Water
    3 Lightning
    [/spoiler][DOUBLEPOST=1376605562,1376517509][/DOUBLEPOST][spoiler=James Good's T4 Decklist:]
    4-1-4 Blastoise
    3 Keldeo EX
    2 Black Kyurem EX

4 Beach
    4 Skyla
    3 Juniper
    3 N
    1 Colress
    1 Cilan

4 SER
    4 Candy
    3 Catcher
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Energy Search
    1 Computer Search

9 Water
    2 Lightning
    [/spoiler][DOUBLEPOST=1376610739][/DOUBLEPOST][spoiler=Skeleton list]
    Pokemon: 12
    4-0-3 Blastoise
    3 Keldeo EX
    2 BKEX

I/S/S - 30-31
    3 Juniper
    3 N
    4 Skyla
    1 Colress/Caitlin
    3 Tropical Beach

4 Rare Candy
    4-5 Pokmon Search
    3 Catcher
    4 Superior Energy Retreival

Energy - 12
    9 Water
    3 Lightning
    That leaves 5-6 open spots. [/spoiler]
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I've seen in Japan that people have started teching in V-Create Victini to deal with VirGen. The decks with Victini have been doing pretty well, so I just wanted to know what everyone thought of it.
  3. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

God, 4 Beach? Maybe they'll finally reprint it when they see how good it is.
    Anyway, I will never be able to afford this deck unless they reprint Beach, which is unfortunate, because I love how it runs.
  4. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

100tini got rotated outside of Japan didn't it?
  5. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter Staff Member

4 Beach is too good in here, don't know why I chose not to play 4 for Worlds (I mean the PKMN Center changed things but)
  6. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

baby_mario Whoops... my bad, it did get rotated.
  7. 357159235

357159235 New Member

My Current List:
    Pokemon(14)
    3 Keldeo EX
    4 Squirtle
    3 Blastoise
    2 Black Kyurem EX(PS 95)
    2 Suicune (PB 20)

Supporters(12)
    4 Professor Juniper
    3 Colress
    3 N
    2 Skyla
    Items(19)
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Superior Energy Retrieval
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Max Potion
    1Dowsing Machine

Stadiums(2)
    2 Tropical Beach

Energy(13)
    10 Water Energy
    3 Lightning Energy

First look you say what that hell suicune?I tech suicune in this deck because suicune its a really good card in combination with the 110 damage for keldeo secrets sword whit this i can get 2 prizes and look the damage for ex pokemon in match ups like darkrai EX Big Basics and the mirror its very great.Super Scoop up is not in the format so i play 2 max Potion For tech,i think this 2 slots I will put more cards for concistency but i dont know what card will be great to get the turn 2 blastoise.
  8. MP7373

MP7373 Member

My super innovative and original list...

EDITED: -I added Jirachi EX simply because it adds 6 outs to a supporter with 1 card
    -I still am undecided on Dowsing Machine or Computer Search (if I played Computer Search I would play 2 Tool Scrapper).
    -Added 3rd Pokemon Catcher

Pokemon(12):

-4 Squirtle (BCR)
    -3 Blastoise
    -3 Keldeo EX
    -2 Black Kyurem EX
    -1 Jirachi EX

Supporters(14):

-4 Professor Juniper
    -4 N
    -1 Colress
    -4 Skyla
    -1 Cilan

Stadiums(3):

-3 Tropical Beach

Items(18):

-4 Ultra Ball
    -1 Level Ball
    -4 Rare Candy
    -3 Pokemon Catcher
    -4 Superior Energy Retrieval
    -2 Tool Scrapper
    -1 Dowsing Machine

Energy(11):

-9 Water Energy
    -2 Lightning Energy

I don't really think Blastoise has changed much this format but maybe people will be creative and add some surprising techs like Suicune and prove they are effective (I can see it being useful). For now, however, I will stick with a tried and true simple and consistent list (if only had had money for beaches or friends to borrow them from lol). I think Blastoise may be BDIF right now (although Plasma is ridiculous with Silver Bangle).
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. tgnome1

tgnome1 Member

What about Moltres NXD and 2/2 Prism/Electric energy split? That would be a nice treat in the VirGen matchup and it could improve that matchup significantly.
  10. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care Staff Member

When your main attacker hits for 200, you don't need techs that abuse Weakness.

Especially not ones that screw with your Energy line.

Moltres isn't a bad choice vs Plasmaklang, but is that even a thing now?
  11. mz1hC

mz1hC Member

I like Exeggcute PLF in my list. Propagation is too good of an ability.
  12. pootoucher

pootoucher blastoise-enthusiast

i heart exeggcute. i like him even when i get donked. he makes ultra ball and SER into really good trade offs.

i like this deck a lot. is 4 beach a mandate for anything above casual play?
    Benjineer likes this.
  13. GreenPepper

GreenPepper Badly addicted to League of Legends

What do you think of Scoop Up Cyclone in this deck? It is less consistent, but you can pull off some game changing plays every now and then.
  14. pootoucher

pootoucher blastoise-enthusiast

id say its directly realitive to your beach count. 1-2 beach makes me want to play jirachi and comp search to add ways to create the turn 1 beach but 4 beaches and im more comfortable giving up consistency for the SUC.
  15. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

I would want to build this deck, but I don't think I can afford beaches. Is it worth running this deck without beaches?
  16. Greenpariah

Greenpariah First year competive player in masters.

This deck works without beach, but it is definitly not tier 1 without it. Without beach you lose the speed and consistency as with it.
  17. Heist

Heist I am't

No
  18. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

As a new player, I think you will be fine running it without Beaches. It is definitely the most straight-forward deck that is still very competitive. I would look to use Jirachi-EX as well as more Supporters if you aren't going to be running Beaches, although you certainly won't find -as much- success as you will with Beaches. That said, a player in my area managed to pick up a few top 3s with a Beachless Blastoise during Spring BRs.
    tonenkyra, Ninja_Ave and Ketoblu like this.
  19. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

Oh ok, thank you. I will give this deck a serious thought. Thank you for the info.
  20. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

If you are looking to be competitive and are not willing to buy the beaches. This is not the deck for you. The deck has some issues even when it has beaches with consistency hiccups. Without beach its much worse.