1. Notice: The SixPrizes forums are closed. Please use the BBS for new discussions: http://bbs.sixprizes.com/

Seismitoad-EX, Garbodor LTR, (Attackers)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Cobalt314, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Cobalt314

Cobalt314 Cybernetic Superconductor

With the upcoming release of the Furious Fists expansion and pre-releases already available (and with Baby_Mario's permission), I've decided to start a competitive deck discussion on a new deck that will possibly see a lot of play in the upcoming standard format: Seismitoad-EX. I'll post the skeleton for the deck below, and I'll edit it as new information pops up:

4 Seismitoad-EX
    2 Trubbish LTR
    2 Garbodor LTR

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    4 Skyla
    2 Lysandre

4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Switch
    3 Muscle Band
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Float Stone
    1 Computer Search

2 Virbank City Gym

4 Double Colorless Energy

The strategy is simple: by the second turn, there should be an Active Seismitoad-EX with a DCE attached, and a benched Garbodor with a tool attached. With Seismitoad's attack and Garbotoxin active, the opponent can't use items or abilities, which means that they can only play Supporters, Pokémon, and Energy. Also, Pyroar isn't an issue anymore, and with Muscle band and Lasers, Seismitoad can OHKO it.

The Pokémon counts help with getting a Seismitoad as your starting basic Pokémon. If you feel the need to do so, you may add other attackers into the deck, such as Landorus-EX or Mewtwo-EX.

Let's see if this deck really lives up to its potential. I would love to see where you guys go with this. Happy discussing!
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. thflame

thflame Member

My suggestions:

Up it to 4-4 Garbodor and 4 Float Stone. I run 4 Lysandre in my Pyroar Deck, just to deal with Garbodor and other counters. You also don't want a Garbodor w/out a Float Stone "Lysandre-ed" off of the bench without a way to put it back. All a good player needs is one turn with Items to put you on the ropes.

Add in some [W] just in case you need to deal with a Charizard EX. (Charizard + DCE + Blacksmith = Instant 150 damage and follow up 60 for the KO) Extra Energy is nice just in case some get's prized.

You will probably want something to deal with Yveltal EX. Yveltal will out damage Seismitoad by just attaching an energy each turn. Raichu is nice, but then your opponent gets a turn with Items. Add some Ghetsis so you can remove your opponent's Items before you attack with something other than Seismitoad. (It will probably draw a lot of cards)

The problem I see with this deck is that EVERY turn you don't attack with Seismitoad (due to Paralysis, dead draws, etc.) you risk your opponent getting back in the game.

Nice concept though. It can work.
  3. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

You should never, ever run a 4-4 garbador line. It does get you what you need, but you not only risk getting trubbish as only basics, but ability lock is more of a luxury, not a necessity (although all seismitoad lists should run it). A 2-2 works perfectly fine, as it does with all other decks using garbador. Same with float stone, it is not needed as a 4. It can be a 2/3. And you should be able to attack with seismitoad every turn. It just needs a DCE. The yveltal matchup is fine, and the same thing can be said for any match up 'It outplays you by attaching an energy every turn.' The skeleton list looked very nice before, only change I would make (Other than noted ones) is 2 switch (Not required) and maybe 2 virbank city. 3 is nice, but I always use 2 with no issues. And seismitoad garbador will definitely snag a few tournament wins.
  4. thflame

thflame Member

"ability lock is more of a luxury" Not with Pyroar in the format. If you run out of Garbodor, you lose to Pyroar unless you play Evolutions. If you use something other than Seismitoad to attack, you give up your lock for a turn. I have often seen match-ups where the result was, "Both of my Trubbish/Garbodor are prized. I concede." Even if only one is prized, that's still going to be disastrous. Most Pyroar decks are going to run at least 2 Lysandre. (I run 4 and a Pal Pad, but my deck is very much a special case) Also, if you run out of Float Stone, I will gladly snatch up a Garbodor, without a Float Stone, and let it sit active while I use my Items.

The overall problem with Seismitoad is that it does NOT deal enough damage to keep up with today's attackers. Mewtwo is coming back with a vengeance now that [F] Pokemon are getting a lot of support. For a DCE, Mewtwo hits a powered Seismitoad for 80. Max damage coming back Mewtwo's way is 80 (Band + LaserBank. One more energy attachment and Mewtwo finishes off Seismitoad.

Yveltal isn't dead yet. That deck lost Dark Patch and Sableye. It is slower, but not dead. Unless you can keep energy off of Yveltal, it will beat down Seismitoad before Seismitoad can beat it down. Since Seismitoad needs to be active, you will be playing a 3 prize game IF your strategy works the way you want. This means you NEED to draw first blood AND stay ahead.

Heck, any Pokemon that can deal 90 damage and survive a turn will ruin this strategy.

Something I forgot to mention. VirGen wrecks this deck. Virizion 2 shots Sesmitoad with energy acceleration not blocked by either Garbodor or Seismitoad. Genesect OHKOs without G-Booster. You'll need a counter here. (Reshiram maybe, but that requires [R] energy or Rainbow energy)

The best idea I have seen with Seismitoad involves Aurorus.

Aurorus
    Stage 1 - evolves from Amaura
    [W] 130HP

Ability - Ice Shield
    Any damage done by an opponent's attack to each of your [W] Pokémon that has any [W] Energy attached to it is reduced by 20 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).
    [W][C][C][C] Icy Wind 70
    The defending Pokemon is now asleep.

W: [M]
    R:
    Ret: 3

Attach a [W] energy to Seismitoad, then fill up the bench with as many Aurorus as possible. For each Aurorus, Seismitoad takes 20 less damage. Now, you have brought most big attackers down to Seismitoad's level of damage.

Aurorus also counters Pyroar quite nicely, making Garbodor not necessary. (you can't use both together anyway)
  5. 8M8

8M8 Garchomp deck user

What do you think about:
    1-2 Reshiram
    4 Fire energy
    4 DCE
    1 Blacksmith

Reshi for virizion and a single blacksmith tech could help you charge Seismitoad/Reshiram immediately
  6. thflame

thflame Member

Blacksmith only works of [R] Pokemon.
  7. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I think that the best way to play this deck may be with seis, mewtwo, garb, suicune and waters. It's something to try out at least.
  8. Cobalt314

Wouldn't playing Suiune be counter-intuitive? Many decks rely on Stage 1/2 Pokémon (Raichu, Pyroar, Empoleon), and your own Garbodor shuts down its ability anyway.
  9. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Playing Suicune would not be counter-intuitive. Suicune can't be hit by a whole lot of things and you don't have to attach a tool to your own Garbodor if they don't have really important abilities (Like Red Signal and/or Verdant Wind, for example). Also a Suicune with a Muscle Band OHKOs Landorus EX, which can be nice for finishing up games.

If you don't want to run Suicune the deck would probably just be at it's best with Seismitoad/Mewtwo/Garbodor.
    Cobalt314 likes this.
  10. SparkyArg

SparkyArg Member

My Seismitoad Garbodor BRC-on decklist.. What do you say?

Pokemon (14)
    3 Seismitoad EX
    2 Mewtwo EX
    2-2 Garbodor
    2-2 Raichu
    1 Mr. Mime

Supports (13)
    4 Professor Juniper
    3 N
    2 Skyla
    2 Lysandre
    1 Colress
    1 Pokemon Fan Club

Items/Stadiums (22)
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    2 Virbank City Gym
    3 Muscle Band
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Switch
    1 Escape Rope
    1 Startling Megaphone
    1 Proffessors Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine
    2 Bicycle
    2 Random Receiver

Energy (11)
    7 Water
    4 DCE
  11. OshaWaterBottle

OshaWaterBottle Active Member

You are missing Float Stones!
  12. SparkyArg

SparkyArg Member

Oh Thanks.. I've been thinking about removing 2 Water.. Or 2 RR for the Float Stones.
  13. Cobalt314

I'd personally run 4 Seismitoad, since the main purpose of this deck is for the Item lock from Quaking Punch. I'd also add in another Switch and/or Escape Rope, just in case they Catcher or Lysandre in and unfavorable Pokémon.
  14. StuartHayden

StuartHayden Be GDLK or Go Home.

Pokemon (15)
    1 Mr. Mime
    2 Mewtwo EX
    3 Seismitoad EX
    3-2 Beartic (PLS/FUF)
    2-2 Garbador

Items (18)
    1 Dowsing Machine
    1 Switch
    2 Random Receiver
    2 Bicycle
    2 Float Stone
    3 Muscle Band
    3 Ultra Ball
    4 Hypotoxic Laser

Supporter (12)
    2 Lysandre
    2 Colress
    4 N
    4 Professor Juniper

Stadium (2)
    2 Virbank City Gym

Energy (10)
    4 Double Colorless Energy
    6 Water Energy

I have 3 spots left. I was thinking maybe hammers and a 3rd float stone or 1 pal pad, 1 stone, and 1 ???

I'm not sure but I like what I have so far. I'm always open of advice though.